Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
811 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I haven't had my bike long and so far I've been very cautious with it. This is the largest bike I've owned (only 250's before this), and when I bought it I'd been off riding for 5 years. So in a ways getting use to the duc has been like learning to ride anew.

But I've got up some miles now and thought today would be a good time to have a go at the freeway. Up to now I'd only been on it twice and it was not a pleasant experience. The buffeting headwind (I've ditched the fairing) made me want to hang on too tightly to relax. Worse still were the cars coming up behind and around me all wanting to do over the speed limit. Nevertheless, time for another go at it. There's a section of freeway close to where I live that I'm quite familiar with. I can go up it for 10 minutes, then come back 10 minutes, back and forth like that. So I start off in the slow lane. That way I can do the speed limit or back off a bit if I feel the need and anyone can get past me easily enough.

So on the fourth run, I don't know, I start to relax. I'm getting some headwind buffeting but it's not too bad. The bike is quite stable and I realize a little headwind buffeting is of no concern. My grip is very light on the bars now, only really enough to hold the throttle open. I start to move around on the seat and pegs a bit. The bike stays very solid beneath me. And then I get the feeling she wants to go. I'm in 6th gear at 4500 revs. I find an opening ahead and open her up. She loves it! She just pulls and pulls effortlessly up to 90 mph. The cars behind me are just specs in my bar ends. Again and again I do this. After a few more runs up and down I decide I better call it a day before I get nicked or worse. Think I've finally got to experience something of the monster's true character >:D

·
Banned
1,235 Posts
I hate to do say this but:

1) bragging about speeding on the highway on your 2nd or 3rd time is NOT something I would encourage doing or be proud of.

2) Highway riding, no matter how fast you are going, is NOT the true purpose of the monster nor where it excels.

3) a hooligan is NOT something to be proud to be or become....

in the meantime, enjoy your stay...

Q

·
Banned
7,484 Posts
Wow, tought crowd. :-\

Congrats, Wanwo. Sounds like you made an important step in your riding and had a blast doin' it. [thumbsup]. Wait 'til you're railing through twisties and incessantly lofting the front wheel. >:D

·
Registered
163 Posts
Because you're new I want to say be careful out there.......OK, now that I've said that remember there is a reason you are on the bike..it's the wind in your face, the adrenalin rush when you open it up. Being sightly scared is a good thing when controlled. Now go out there and scare the hell out of yourself.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Know your conditions and be careful the monster has a tendency to make you a hooligan if you do not control the urge beat the urge man. Only bring it out slightly in optimal conditions. Hey have fun be safe and ride.

-ghost

·
Registered
126 Posts
Wanwo,

As an alternative take on your experience:

1 - Wanwo stated he had been on the freeway prior, was uncomfortable.
2 - Wanwo picked a freeway he was comfortable with, sounds lightly traveled. He was not weaving but was clear of cars.
3 - Wanwo had been staying in the slow lane & getting passed by higher speed cars - sounds like LA where the car traffic may easily run at 85mph indicated or above.
4 - Wanwo's 90 mph indicated was most likely only 83mph - barely into ticket territory
5 - I think its important for a newer rider (but obviously not first day) to find out that they will not get blown off the bike at anywhere near sub idiot speeds, find out how a bike's stability is at normal freeway speeds and a bit above (80-90), and if they have a bit of fun in the process, thats ok too.

I'll be the first to admit that it took me at least 6 months to maybe a year to be much more comfortable on the freeway. Its a long process. Wanwo is on the correct road, IMHO.

·
Banned
1,235 Posts
socalrob,

After reading your post, I realized I may have looked at the post with an unnecessary aggresivity.

I looked up his location, and re-read his post.

Wanwo, sorry for my harsh reply, but... it's good for developing thick skin needed to hang around this place.

Q

socalrob said:
Wanwo,

I'll be the first to admit that it took me at least 6 months to maybe a year to be much more comfortable on the freeway. Its a long process. Wanwo is on the correct road, IMHO.

·
Registered
79 Posts
qfactor said:
socalrob,

After reading your post, I realized I may have looked at the post with an unnecessary aggresivity.

I looked up his location, and re-read his post.

Wanwo, sorry for my harsh reply, but... it's good for developing thick skin needed to hang around this place.

Q
Aggresivity? As long as we're preaching, aggresivity is not a word belonging to the English language. FYI.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Aggressivity; It's in my dictionary

·
Premium Member
846 Posts
socalrob said:
Wanwo,

1 - Wanwo stated he had been on the freeway prior, was uncomfortable.
2 - Wanwo picked a freeway he was comfortable with, sounds lightly traveled. He was not weaving but was clear of cars.
3 - Wanwo had been staying in the slow lane & getting passed by higher speed cars - sounds like LA where the car traffic may easily run at 85mph indicated or above.
4 - Wanwo's 90 mph indicated was most likely only 83mph - barely into ticket territory
5 - I think its important for a newer rider (but obviously not first day) to find out that they will not get blown off the bike at anywhere near sub idiot speeds, find out how a bike's stability is at normal freeway speeds and a bit above (80-90), and if they have a bit of fun in the process, thats ok too.

+1 [thumbsup]
I second that thought. ;D

·
Premium Member
2,089 Posts
Le Pirate said:
it's only hooligan if you flip off the cars as you pass them >:D
Who's ever done that? >:D

·
Registered
544 Posts
chopperbill said:
IMHO.......Gfactor is absolutely correct, you do need thick skin to hang around this place. [laugh]
Would you want it any other way? [thumbsup]

Congrats Wanwo,

I am not too far removed from learning to ride my monster to appreciate the feeling you had. Just wait until you really feel comfortable, because then you start enjoying the the sweet desmodromic v-twin symphony. Flicking the wrist every time you want a little crescendo and relaxing it every time you want a sweet background melody.........It's an interesting sensation because you have the tumult of 80 mph headwinds and cars all around, but its contrasted by the beauty of the sensation of speed and the sweet note of the engine.

[cheeky] Just thinking about it now, makes me want to go out for a ride.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts