Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are the pros and cons of modifying a single swingarm and marchesini rims for a 03 800? I'm really feeling the mod and would like some feedback. In viewing the Terminator it posed as the perfect example. Guys let me know what you know as this may be my Chicago winter project.

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I used to really like the SSS also - but I think it's just because of uniqueness. I've read they tend to be heavier and not as stiff as a good aluminum double swingarm - note the new 999/749. And I'm sure it's not cheap.

So here's an option: Winter Project; buy the wheels and spend the rest of the money on a week in Florida. And when you get here look me up. ;)

jb

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Jim...I was just in Florida. Spent time in Ft. Lauderdale as well as Miami and South Beach. Let's just say had different girls in our room every night and I'm moving down next year!
I just came back from Amsterdam for 25 days and spent some pretty Euro so I think I've had some good trips for the summer, and I'm ready to hibernate for the Chicago winter.
I love the single swingarm look if I can get it for the right price. I saw one from a 916 on ebay for $300! I guess I'll look for a totaled 916 who is selling parts. The marchesinin wheels are killing em though. I gotta get them.

Monster Hooligan...
Regarding your 96 DR650, I got a 96 DR350. Have you done any mods?

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
After South Beach AND Amsterdam your due for a little hibernation! ;)

I keep seeing 996 and 748's on cycletrader down in the Miami area for sale with rebuildible titles for as low as $4000. They don't look that bad. I'd rip all the fairing off anyway and slap a pair of Renthals on. The reason I didn't do that first is I wanted a bike to ride - this would definetly be a project bike. Wow, I guess that's a drawback from living in Florida: no Winter - no Winter Project :-/

jb

·
Premium Member
2,952 Posts
I agree that the single sided arm gives up some rigidity and has a weight penalty compared to a regular swing arm.

Now if I just had to customize a swing arm on a Monster - This would be the way to go:

Matches the trellis frame pretty well.

There's a pic of the whole bike also posted in the Misc section of the Photo Gallery.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Seems to me that there is a good bit of stress on the two pivot points (engine and wheel), somewhat cantilevered. I

·
Premium Member
1,488 Posts
WOW, I dig that trellis style swing arm. It's a little bulky, but definitely has potential to match the lines of the bike. Where can I see more??

·
Registered
8,800 Posts
Seems to me that there is a good bit of stress on the two pivot points (engine and wheel), somewhat cantilevered. I

·
Premium Member
2,952 Posts
Bloodshot - I can't remember where I snagged the two pics of that swing arm. I think they might have been taken at a show either in Japan or Europe. I just grab pics of Duc stuff that looks unusual. Like this (one of my favorites)

Even down to the rims, cluch cover, everything! ;D

·
Registered
100 Posts
Speeddog830, thanx for the info!

Bud

·
Registered
8,800 Posts
Welcome, Bud.

W

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I have the same project for this winter.

It is just for the look, I don't see any imporvement performance-wise. I don't know about your but I have done a lot of research before I get my hands dirty.

The 2002 and later monster has received new rear suspension and you can forget about ducgirl's work (http://www.ducgirl.com/bike_projects.htm) which referred by member MonsterHooligan. Only if you have a 2001 or older model can consider what ducgirl has done.

I can share some of my research with you. The project problem #1, all monsters including all years, has the pivot bearings on the engine block, but 9*6 SSS has pivot bearings attached instead. You need to machine the bearings off the engine block with preciseion that can fit the 9*6 SSS. Problem #2, the suspension rocker arm is not aligned after bolt on the SSS.

I am stuck here now, I have a full time job and I don't have enough time to work this project out. It would be nice if you (everyone of you) can share your experience with me (and everyone).

Thanks!!
Jensen

1 - 19 of 19 Posts