Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys, I was window shopping yesterday and our local Duc dealer yesterday offered me a brand new 06 S4R for a very low price. I was a bit surprised as they've just brought in the bike and so fast making offers.

So just wondering if there is any issue on the 06 S4R. All the other ducs price remain, just the S4R having special offer. The price are very attractive and my fingers are getting ichy.

·
Registered
69 Posts
The 2006 S4R is the last of their breed...although brand new!

From 2007 on, theres only the S4R Testastretta, S4Rs Testastretta, no plain S4R anymore...

No wonder he offers you a low price....

It has to be either very very low, or i would wait for the new 2008 Monster....

Greets

S4RsPhlyer

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
same money for the R1....its considered cheap here I guess. So is it worth taking? and you sure theres no issue with the bike since Ducati replace it so fast? I've no experience with monster other than people telling me you need a lot of money to upkeep the bike, so I just wanna make sure I'm not buying the most expensive monster of all time to upkeep.

·
Registered
69 Posts
S4R is a excellent bike! Over 110 hp on a V2 is a rocket!

But...

Usually, with buying a Ducati, the investment will not stop. You need some Termis, a Cat-Replacement, some Carbon here and there... for the unique Monster Look. Ducati Performance Parts are expensive.

Its not that expensive to upkeep the bike. There is no difference to other Ducatis. OK, the 2007 Modells have a 12000 km service intervall, compared to "your" S4R (10000 Km). A lot of jap companies have a as low as 6000 km service intervalls. So Ducatis dont need go into the shop a much as possible as other brands...

Hey, its all about "Emozione", and the voice of the Ducati V2...

If you get a very good Price, go for it! But don't be dissapointed if you see a S4R(s) Testastretta Driver out there, or in 2008, a Driver of the New Monster!

Greets

S4RsPhlyer

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If the maintainance is the same as other duc I'm ok, buying monster also comes with the price of maintainance. I was only worry the S4R is a special case coz I dont see the dealers here giving offers on ducatis. Well I saw the S4Rs, its beautiful I like the new rim but sadly I simply cannot afford it. So no regret when I see one next to me on the lights.

Begining of the year I nearly bought the 03 620 monster, but after much consideration I bought the Aprilia strada instead. Coz the dealer offered me the 03 for the price of the 06 monster which we dont have here.

But deep inside I've always wanted the monster, simply love the noise they make.

·
Banned
2,007 Posts
rumour has it that the importers can enforce (for want of a better word) the dealers stock, so if the importer is overstocked with a soon to be out of date model they may force them onto their dealers. the dealer knows the cost involved in floor planning slow moving stock so they may discount it to avoid having to shoulder the cost of not only an expensive, slow moving bike but also the cost of floorplan that can quickly eat into margin and quickly erode all chance of a profit.
by the way, there's nothing wrong with the S4R, it's just that it's no longer the latest, greatest bad boy, but hey,sooner or later everything becomes out of date. i LOVE mine. [thumbsup]
paul.

·
Registered
45,105 Posts
The S4R (desmoquattro as opposed to testastretta, i.e. the "old" one) is still an awesome bike. The only difference with maintenance is that it's a 4 valve head (hence desmoquattro) so maintenance will tend to be more expensive than the air cooled (desmodue - 2 valve) monsters. Mostly the cost comes when you need your valves adjusted because there's more of them.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I have an 06 S4R and would not hesitate to buy another one. Everyone always seems to talk about maintenance. Every bike if done by the manufactures specs have high maintenance cost. If you are worried about cost you may look at other bikes. I am only saying that because every thing for a Duc cost more. But if you want a bike that turns heads and performs great buy the S4R. Just to give you some back ground in the last 5 years I have owned R1, Triumph 675, ZX10, 636, gxr750, Aprilia Mille. The S4R although not as fast as R1, ZX10 is more fun to ride and gets way more attention. Just my .02

·
Registered
42 Posts
I had a 2004 S4R. I'd personally spend a little extra and get the 2007 Testrastretta if I were you. I mainly bought that bike because it was the first in the monster line to have the single sided swing arm and the racing stripe paint scheme, but as for the bike itself, just be prepared to really feel like you're riding a machine. The under 3,000 RPM mannerisms are just down right awful which makes city riding tiring, and the "pluming" on the engine will start to bother you over time. That said, once get between 3,000-9,000 RMP's you are in for a world of fun. I personally would just go for a S2R 1000 or a 2007 S4R. My 2 cents.

·
Premium Member
1,988 Posts
I commuted 50 mi. daily on an s4r. I thought its' around town manners to be excellent. It all depends on the gear your in. Of course the first thing I did was go to a 14 tooth front sprocket. I loved mine. I paid $10.5K for it with 1000 mi. on the odometer.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I logged 14,000 miles on mine in the 2 years I had it. Highway riding or anything over 45mph was fine, but man was that engine/gearbox rough under 35 mph. Maybe it was just me, I regularly switched bikes with my buddies and as much as I loved the way my monster looked and sounded, I have to admit it was sometimes hard getting back on it after riding one of their smooth running Japaneses bikes. Of course there's a downside to those types of bikes as well, they really do feel soul-less. A man really does need 3 or 4 motorcycles depending on what mood he's in :)

·
Registered
4,745 Posts
eparks11 said:
man was that engine/gearbox rough under 35 mph.
true, it can be. but did you change the front to a 14t?

·
Registered
45,105 Posts
eparks11 said:
I had a 2004 S4R. I'd personally spend a little extra and get the 2007 Testrastretta if I were you. I mainly bought that bike because it was the first in the monster line to have the single sided swing arm and the racing stripe paint scheme, but as for the bike itself, just be prepared to really feel like you're riding a machine. The under 3,000 RPM mannerisms are just down right awful which makes city riding tiring, and the "pluming" on the engine will start to bother you over time. That said, once get between 3,000-9,000 RMP's you are in for a world of fun. I personally would just go for a S2R 1000 or a 2007 S4R. My 2 cents.
I find riding around town no problem at all. :)

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hmmm...I'll be commuting with the bike daily and will be doing a lot of lane splitting at around 40kph max. Sounds like not the correct bike for me. How I wish I could keep both bike, the Strada which is excellent for commuting and the S4R for pleasure ride.

·
Registered
4,897 Posts
the desmoquattro engine, well, actually, all the ducati engines, REALLY shouldn't even be ridden under 3k, those engines just aren't made to run there

when I ride my friend's 748 around town, I have a great time, but I ALWAYS keep the rpms around 5-7k or more, 35mph I'm sitting at 5-6k for sure, hell, I almost never get out of 3rd gear on that bike when I'm blasting around on the freeways (I'll go up the gears if I'm crusing on the highway though)

just some food for thought

·
Registered
45,105 Posts
It's not that it can't be, just the vibrations from the engine get to be a little... vigorous. Getting a 14T front sprocket or a 44T rear will help that scenario.

·
Registered
4,897 Posts
skareb said:
Even the S2R cannot be ridden at low rpm? I'm talking bout the 800cc
what evilsteve said

just fyi (and this is just how I personally ride my bike, ymmv), I don't even ride my 750 below 4k rpms, even at 35mph, AND I have a 14T plus 1 in the rear...

·
Registered
444 Posts
I got my 06 s4R less then 2 weeks before they released the 07.....BUT I got a amazing deal because I knew people that knew people.....And the fact of the matter is without that help in the price I wouldn't be on a ducati at all. The 06's are amazing, and personally I felt the clutch and brake to be much stiffer on the 07's....That and the flat grey and red is just....I dunno meh. Rather the whole bike be flat or nothing at all.

The 06's are prettier, AND you have the cooler offset stripe on the 06s.

·
Registered
45,105 Posts
I have an S2R 800, I ride all over the rev range. I have a +1 in the rear. Realistically, I only hang around the 3k mark when I'm cruising on the highway to save gas (even if it's illogical). With the exhaust I have now, I'm actually finding myself at 4k more often than not. With a 14T front you'll find that the vibrations start to get better at about 3500. With the stock setup (15T - 41T) they start to feel better at about 4k RPM.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts