Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,305 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am thinking of buying a 02 s4[916motor].and wanted to hear a few comments from the members. i have always had air cooled motors and the water cooled motor is new to me.I was looking at the monster1000ie but as always more horsepower is always attractive to me. Can anyone compare the two ,good and bad?the model i"m looking at is a 2002 senna,2.5k miles and the price seems ok $ 8500. From the picture i have seen it appears to be stock.Are there any extra problems associated with this model?thanks in advance, Hog 8)

·
Registered
385 Posts
Hey Hog,
I had both for quite a while, 95 M900 with few mods, and my 02 S4 Foggy.......

I liked the 900 for the down low grunt it had but I wanted MORE.... I was in the process of getting a full exhaust instead of my slip-ons, 41mm Flatslides and a lightened flywheel.

My mechanic talked me into getting my S4 instead of putting all that dough into my 900. (about 3k when said and done) My 900 ended up being worth $4800 the way it was. So I would have $7800 into my 900.

I got my Foggy for 10k with 1100 miles on it. (I was in the right place at the right time)
The only problems that I have encountered are the leaking battery (all S4's) and the wrong computer (all Foggy S4's) also the base gasket was replaced (all S4's...recall) All have been taken care of by my dealer or DNA.

But I wouldn't trade a thing...... I had an original 95 916, LOVED it, 2000 748 Loved it, 2000 M750 Loved it, 95 M900 Loved it.

Now I have my Foggy S4, sold all the others and combined them all into one bike. The coolness of a limited addition, the HP of a 916 and the seating of a Monster.

You Cannot go wrong anyway you choose, this just happened to work out this way for me.

Hope this helps,
Rob

·
Premium Member
147 Posts
Depends on how much power you are accustomed to. I tried the 1000 Multi-stada and after my CB1000 (in-line 4), it felt wimpy. Once you get used to 100 hp, there's no going back. The S4 has more than most sane people need gives me a thrill everytime I ride.

G

·
I love mine.

There have been problems reported the leaking batteries, not mine...yet. I had a problem with a radiator hose, but no big deal.

$8500 seems like a good deal. 2500 miles would be hard to mess anything up as long as tehy took it through the breakin.

The hp difference between the 1000 and the S4 probably won't be too noticable, but as you said more is better.

Service will be more expensive with the S4, but you can find good deals on service packages.

Either one will be a good choice. And as I said before, I love my S4.

chris

·
Registered
445 Posts
I took a Multistrada for a spin, which is of course the same engine as the M1000. Compared to my S4 I thought it had everyting the 916 does up to about 8000 revs. Very nice. There the 2-valver signs off while the 916 pulls harder up to about 9500-10000 revs. The 2-valver was also a very responsive engine that happily lofted the front wheel on demand. Here's the kicker; when I'm on the S4 in full go mode I usually shift around 8000-9000 revs. But it's nice to tap into that extra handful every now and then too!

The M1000 will probably make you happy, but if you're kind of a power whore like me then the S4's the way to go. Although, the M1000 should be easy to get about 100 rear wheel ponies out of, and it would be lighter......

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
I did a lot of research comapring all Monster models before I settled on the S4. The S4 is MUCH stronger than the aircooled 1000 - not even close. That watercooling makes that possible. You just can't cool that aircooled 1000 fast enough to make really big power.

I sold my Hayabusa last year, and I find the S4 much more satisfying despite the substantially lower horsepower. It has presence and excitement that the Busa simply could not match.

Jim G

·
Registered
129 Posts
I just bought a '02 S4 senna w/650 miles for $7750. Right place at the right time. There were just two sold on ebay around that same price last month. That seems to be the going price in the winter. Things will most likely change when the weather warms up. Now is it a good bike? I've already put 600 miles on it and couldn't be happier. It flies man. Sooo much torque! :eek: Can't wait to soup it up. Go for the S4, you wont be disappointed.

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
I love my S4. I also have a 907 so I have a bike with less power and really enjoy the hit from the S4.

My experience with problems:

My battery was changed before it had a chance to be a problem.

Had a collapsing rearbelt cover that was corrected with a small piece of aluminum.

There was a problem with a oil return on the cylinder (but not on the bottom end) that shouldn't have been there and caused a oil leak. Corrected under warranty/recall. But I have a 2001 and I believe this was corrected on the 2002.

Watch out for fuel sensor unit under tank contacting the rear cylinder head and wearing through the wires.

My gas tank seems to be seeping gas around a rear seam. Fire hazard!

·
Registered
403 Posts
Other than a pathetically s h i t t y dealer and a leaky battery and a leaky cylinder gasket, faulty guages and the big ding/scratch the dealer did while fixing the mentioned problems I love it.
Seriously I do like the bike very much and am hoping I am done with my problems.

·
Registered
294 Posts
I got my S4 with 24 miles on it for 8K really sweet deal, right place at the right time. Go with the S4 I have a 93 750SS much different as far as power goes.

·
Registered
37 Posts
One factor that swayed me over to the S4 was that it was liquid cooled. I agree that the air cooled bikes do look better, but air cooled engines just aren't going to hold up as well. My only problems were a faulty ecu and fuel pump relay (which left me stranded 3 or 4 times). I tend to buy more performance than I think I'll need, and then don't need to spend alot of money trying to make more HP. Go for the S4.

·
Premium Member
147 Posts
Bought mine in Dec for $8K with only 1200 miles. Buy now before prices change for good weather! S4 prices are too godd to pass on!.

·
Premium Member
1,305 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
thanks every one for the info 8)

·
Registered
2,495 Posts
Hog!

I hope this all happens for you. I look forward to hanging out with you and your wife on all of our Ducati's and at Laguna Seca. Keep me and everyone else posted as to when you bring it home ;D

·
Registered
287 Posts
You all make me sick... Maybe I am just a sap, but I got my S4 brand new '02 still on the showroom floor in June '03 and paid $11,600...

·
Registered
37 Posts
I know what you mean, I paid 11,500 for mine. And it was a 01 when I bought it in Aug of 02. It seems that Ducs don't really hold their value better than any other bike. I owe more on both my car and my bike than I can sell them for.

·
Registered
3,755 Posts
I believe that Ducs did hold their value very well (but not as well as HD's) until '02 when Ducati really cranked up their output and the economy tanked at the same time.

The result was lots of leftovers in dealer stock, plummeting prices on those leftovers and the complete bottom falling out of the market for used Ducs.

Happened to me. I bought my used '99 in October of '01 for $8200 (with some expensive DP mods on it). By spring of '02, you could buy a leftover '01 for that money and the value of mine probably dropped to $6500 instantly. Now with even more expensive mods, it's probably worth $5k. 'Course it now has 12,500 mi on it too!

Anyway, I say neigh on the S4 ;D

If you want a powerful water cooled bike--- get something with a fairing to cover all that crap ;) Oh yeah, and why stop with 101 HP? Get a 955i or a Mille!

·
Premium Member
147 Posts
It's a little like buying stock. You'll never have a loss or a gain unless you sell out. :)

·
Registered
3,755 Posts
It's a little like buying stock. You'll never have a loss or a gain unless you sell out. :)

You got that right. I got my bike. I ride it (when it's not friggin' new england winter) and I have no plans of selling it.

Who cares what it's worth?

·
Premium Member
1,305 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks Ally, that be cool . Dammit Don i finnally get over the look of that big honking water jug up front and you go and remind it's there ;D I got to admit that the look of the exposed radiater is the only thing keeping me pulling the trigger on this deal. I am a horse power junky but the bike has to have a history and soul to it{to many years on the harleys i guess},or i probably would have a busa by now. Ideally the only water on my next bike would be the rain ;) I like the more upright seating of the monsters. to many years of floor installing has taken it's toll on the back, not to mention too many years of being young and dumb full of . who knows maybe i can find a 900 that someone has already pumped up the motor .

1 - 20 of 20 Posts