Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
That's what I think I've narrowed my next bike purchase down to (cruisers up to this point). I've spent a fair amount of time on my brother's 2005 Monster and was all ready to pick one up, but just read the Cycle World article where they said the Tuono is the naked bike to beat. Anyone ridden both or any thoughts? I'm not a mechanic - is maintanence going to be more $$ on one than the other?

·
Registered
177 Posts
Never ridden either but the Tuono reviewed would be more on par suspension and power wise with the water cooled s4r or S4rs. The Tuono is powered by an Austrian built Rotax V twin which is supposedly very durable...which is good because Aprilia's US dealer network is not very extensive. Try to get a ride on both and then you will know.

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
I have ridden the last generation Tuono and it was a very comfortable bike from what I recall and the motor was plentiful with the power delivery. I have not ridden an S2R1000 but as previously stated that is not the bike to compare it to. I have ridden its rival a Monster S4R(S) and if I had to choose I would go with the S4RS.

·
Premium Member
383 Posts
maintenance will be less on the tuono, but have fun finding a reputable dinner that can get your parts in a reasonable time. the tuono sits up more and has a larger tank, but most of the motor is covered. it's fast and wheelies a ton if you want it to. just some things to keep in mind.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I've recently ridden an 05 model Tuono, and can say its quite comfortable for my frame (6' and 220 lbs). The motor was impressive, and the newer ones have more hp >:D I have not ridden an S4R or S4Rs. The dealer network is now getting better since Piaggio bought Aprilia. Go visit www.apriliaforum.com and start getting a feel for the brand, dealers, etc. The forum is actually run by a dealer out of Texas that a lot of the folks get their parts from (similar to Duc of Seattle on this board).

I am also going to be getting either an S4Rs or Tuono in the coming months.......and am leaning toward the Tuono. Most folks feel the maint. costs would be less.........and for me, I don't have a dealer near me for either brand so that aspect is the same for me.

Have fun bike shopping.......I love the journey as well as the destination [thumbsup]

·
Premium Member
1,941 Posts
Davesax36 said:
have fun finding a reputable dinner that can get your parts in a reasonable time.
[laugh] [laugh] Does someone have "turkey" on his mind today? ;D ;D

·
Premium Member
383 Posts
Mac900 said:
[laugh] [laugh] Does someone have "turkey" on his mind today? ;D ;D

seems that way. unless i was on the phone when I typed that. that's too funny.

·
Registered
4,494 Posts
It would be a more difficult decision if the Tuono actually looked good. In my opinion Aprilia really screwd up the Tuono in the last few years.

·
Registered
45,105 Posts
Tuono will rip the s2r1000's lungs out. Maybe not price wise, but category-wise it's between the s4rs/s4r and the Tuono, no the air cooled Ducs.

When I narrowed down my bike list I went s4rs over Aprillia.

You can find five different magazines with five different naked bike winners in their comparisons. The important person is you. Go get a ride on everything you might want. My dealer has an s4rs demo sitting out fron with it's tires nicely scrubbed in.

Happy shopping.

Chris

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
Count Desmo said:
It would be a more difficult decision if the Tuono actually looked good. In my opinion Aprilia really screwd up the Tuono in the last few years.
that is an understatement, imo I have seen my cat throw up more attractive **** than the Tuonos current scheme.

·
Premium Member
1,787 Posts
purely a matter of taste. I test rode one a few weeks ago that got definite notice from the g/f and her sorority sisters. That did it for me [cheeky]

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for all the thoughts! Wasn't sure how excited dealers were to let people test ride - looks like I need to find a couple of Duck and Aprilia dealers with test bikes. Hope everyone had a great Thanksgiving!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts