Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After 15 years of riding Yamaha sportbikes (FZR, YZF, and most recently R1), I have come to the conclusion that the pain my body experiences while riding has trumped the fun I have of flying around on these bikes. I am going to be moving to something more up-right and comfortable. I'm not quite ready for a full touring bike like a GoldWing, but something easy on the wrists, knees, and back, yet still sporty. I am leaning heavily toward the Yamaha FZ-1 and a buddy of mine said to check out the Monster S2R. In general, how comfortable are these bikes? How comfortable are they for the passenger? Has anyone had experience on both bikes (FZ-1 and Monster). Any advice you can provide will be greatly appreciated since I am very foreign to Ducati products. Thanks

·
Registered
2,908 Posts
They are fairly comfortable with an aftermarket seat IMO. The seating position keeps your legs tucked up a little though, which can get uncomfortable. That's my biggest complaint on long rides.

If you're at the Duc dealer, might as well check out the Multistrada as well. It is really comfortable, and just as sporty although the seating position takes a little time to get used to (at least it did for me).

·
Premium Member
621 Posts
Monsters are pretty comfortable for most body types. The riding position can really be made as aggressive or relaxed as you want. If you're coming from an R1, you'll probably want something with a similarly-racey motor, like an S4R or S4Rs. The new FZ1s are nice, but there are intangible qualities to Ducs that, post-test ride, may sway you over to the Italian side.

I have a relative that works for a division of Yamaha, and regularly gets family members Yam products (including bikes, dirt bikes, waverunners) at around 68% of dealer cost. My first motorcycle was originally going to be an FZ6, then I test rode a monster 620 and liked it better. But when the time came to move up to a bigger bike, I pondered Yams again (R1, R6, FZ1). Could've gotten a sweet deal on an R1. But I ended up throwing a bank loan at a leftover S4R instead. Couldn't be happier [thumbsup]

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the advice. I'm also wondering about what differences I can expect between an L-Twin air cooled engine and the liquid cooled Jap 4's I'm used to. I plan on asking the dealer all of these questions, but I'd rather hear it from people that don't have a financial interest in my next bike purchase.

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
DUDE, I JUST TRADED MY FZ1 IN FOR A MONSTER. THERE IS NO COMPARISON. THE FZ1 IS A MUCH MORE COMFORTABLE AND VERSITILE BIKE. IT HAS UNDERSEAT STORAGE AND IS GREAT FOR PASSENGERS ON LONG TRIPS. YOU CAN GET A GIVI HARD CASE FOR THE BACK, IT'S WONDERFUL. AND A SUPER POWERFUL 140 HORSEPOWER R1 MOTOR. I TRADED MINE IN BECAUSE IT WASN'T SPORTY ENOUGH........AND I'VE ALWAYS WANTED A DUCATI. THE MONSTER WILL PUT ALMOST THE SAME PRESSURE ON YOUR WRISTS THAT AN R1 WILL, JUST A LITTLE LESS, BUT NOT MUCH. IF ALL AROUND GOODNESS IS WHAT YOU CRAVE, THE FZ1 BEATS THE MONSTER 5000%. YOU CAN'T PUT LUGGAGE OR A PASSENGER AN A MONSTER, UNLESS THEY'RE 98 POUNDS SOAKIN' WET. THE BACK SEAT IS AS BIG AS MY HAND. SO, UNLESS YOU CRAVE DUCATI STYLE, GET THE FZ1. GREAT BIKE, MASSIVE STORAGE AND LUGGAGE OPTIONS, POWERFUL MOTOR, MAINT FREE, MUZZY SLIP ON FOR 285.00, RUBBER PEGS. YOU WONT BE DISAPPOINTED.

THE MONSTER HAS NO LUGGAGE OPTIONS AT ALL. I AM FORCED TO NOW WEAR A BACKPACK EVERY WHERE I GO. BECAUSE OF HOW THE TWIN MUFFLERS ARE POSITIONED, YOU CAN'T PUT LUGGAGE ON THE BACK AND THE TANK IS PLASTIC SO YOU CAN'T STICK A MAGNETIC TANK BAG ON IT.

THE SOLE REASON FOR THIS BIKE IS PASSION AND PASSION ONLY. IF YOU DESIRE ANYTHING ELSE FROM YOUR BIKE, DON'T GET THE MONSTER.

TO ANSWER YOUR MOTOR QUESTION. THE FZ1 IS THE SMOOTHEST BIKE IN THE WORLD. SO MUCH POWER THOUGH THAT IT'S JUST CRAZY. YET, SO SMOOTH. THE DUCATI IS NOT SMOOTH. YOU HAVE TO KEEP THE RPM'S ABOVE 4 GRAND BUT YOU CAN'T REALLY EXCEED 8 GRAND. SO, YOU ONLY HAVE 4 GRAND TO PLAY WITH. THE FZ1 CAN RUN SUPER SMOOTH DOWN TO 2 GRAND AND YOU CAN REV IT UP EASILY TIL 12 GRAND, SO YOU HAVE 10 GRAND RPM TO PLAY WITH. AGAIN, NO COMPARISON.

THE FZ1 IS UGLY UGLY UGLY UGLY UGLY, BUT I THINK IT'S THE BEST BIKE ON THE MARKET. THE MONSTER IS THE MOST BEAUTIFUL CREATION, BUT NOTHING IN THE WORLD IS MORE IMPRACTICLE.

·
Premium Member
542 Posts
My ears hurt now. ;D

Anyway, when I first got my S2R I had pretty bad wrist and elbow pain, especially my left arm. Put on a set of 1.25" bar risers and now I can ride it for 3-4 hours with no problem. The stock seat could be a little more comfy, but it's not too bad. I may look into a Corbin seat, though.

Passenger? All I can go with is what I've heard, since I've only been riding on the street since the end of May, but the overall consensus here seems to be - very uncomforatble for a passenger.

And, like THUMPER SAID, no storage at all on the monster. And, picking a Ducati is not going to be based even remotely on practicality. It's not a practical bike at all. But I love it.

·
Premium Member
1,941 Posts
Wow. Did you have to "SHOUT" Thumper? That was kind of harsh on the eyes.

While most of what you said is pretty true remember that just about any sportbike is more impractical than the Monster.

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
Sorry about the all caps. I meant it only to be one paragraph but it turned out to be much more.

But really, the monster is built for love and beauty, not practicality. The FZ1, although uglier than my butt (and that's pretty ugly) handles great, is super comfy for both rider and passenger, and has unlimited luggage capabilities.

I bought a Givi hard case for the back and it bolted right into where the hand grips are. That was the most awesome thing ever. I'd fill it with ice, liquor and soda and go to parties and crack open my portable bar :) :) :)

I'd spend the night of course, but still. I've liked that bike so much that I kept it for 2 years. Normally, I trade my bikes in every year.

I traded this for the S2R because I fell in love with it as soon as it came out. Had they not made that style, I'd still be riding the FZ1.

Sorry about the caps again.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Thumper which Fz1 did you have? My dad has the 06 with the aluminum frame and the fuel injection. That bike was a BLAST to ride and I thought it was pretty sporty, didn't care for the tires but beyond that it was a fun bike to ride.....And then I got my monster....Both are great machines really I would say ride them both, wouldn't be surprised if the fit of the bike to your body is the bigger factor. I'm short and fit the monster like a glove but I'm a little short for the fz1.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Thumper said:
Sorry about the caps again.
You could edit it... I had to skip over much of the post, the all caps is too harsh on the eyeballs.

The monster is practical, practically perfect ;D Just kidding, but it all depends on the individual and their build/needs etc. They are not really designed for piling stuff on but I've seen people here manage it, and actually I don't see practical in the OP's original question, it was about comfort. With regards to comfort I think it depends on how long you plan to make your rides, however from people's posts it seems unanimous that an aftermarket seat or DP gel seat is more comfy then stock. I've ridden pillion on the stock seat and the convex curve is not the greatest - if that is key I'd say an aftermarket seat is important. I'm short and the position is not too bad though, riding pillion on the Speed Triple, for example, is tougher due to the height of the pegs and much more bent leg position in spite of the seat being better.

I guess best thing you can do is manage a test ride, or maybe a local from the DML will let you climb on back to try it out :)

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
jesse370 said:
Thumper which Fz1 did you have? My dad has the 06 with the aluminum frame and the fuel injection. That bike was a BLAST to ride and I thought it was pretty sporty, didn't care for the tires but beyond that it was a fun bike to ride.....And then I got my monster....Both are great machines really I would say ride them both, wouldn't be surprised if the fit of the bike to your body is the bigger factor. I'm short and fit the monster like a glove but I'm a little short for the fz1.
Yeah, I see what you mean. I'm 6'2" and the FZ1 was a perfect fit, but my monster is a bit squished.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks to everyone that replied, it was extremely helpful. I think I'm pretty set on the S2R1000 at this point. I really love the way it looks and with some aftermarket bars, I think it will be quite a bit more comfortable than my R1 (as much as I could tell from just sitting on it anyway). The only problem I have now is I have to wait til spring because my dealer won't have a demo bike for me to ride until then. I've also been warned that the maintenance interval on these bikes is absolutely crazy compared to the Jap bikes and that valve adjustments (which are common) run upwards of $1000. I would like some verification on that please

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
Yes, I'm finding out that there is required service intervals. Just for the first service at 600 miles, my dealer wanted to charge 450 dollars...no valve check on the first service.

Out of the 15+ jap bikes I've owned, NONE has ever had any service outside of changing the oil. I've never even changed a plug.

So, going from Jap to Italian? Yeah, big difference. You'll notice a huge riding style difference between the R1 and the S2R1000 as well. Just by the way it rides all together. You'll see what I mean when you test ride the Duck.

But, owning a Ducati is like buying a Lotus. You buy it for reasons other than convenience and practicality. If you want practical, get a mini van. If you want style and passion, get the tiny little Lotus with no back seat.

It really all depends on what you want from your bike. It has taken me some time but I am learning about all the internal components of my bike and so forth, to help keep the costs of ownership down. With a Jap bike, that was never necessary.

The S2R1000 is a beautiful and lustfull bike. I can sit and stare at it for hours. The FZ1 is so ugly that I can't force myself to look at it for more than 5 seconds. Although they're priced the same, there are certainly pros and cons to each.

FZ1:

Pros = Durability, practicality, longevity, practically no maint, great motor with unlimited power, super comfort, big and great for two people, can get hard luggage for it.

Cons = Ugliest bike in the world, people will constantly ask you why you bought it, doesn't satisfy you underlying urge to own something beautiful. No aftermarket performance parts. No way to customise it. Sure, you can take a piece of here and there, but basically it will always look like a stock bike. Handles like a brick and suspension is very very subpar.

Mostly right and left handed brain stuff.

Ducati:

Pros = People will stop you to tell you how beautiful your bike is. The looks of your bike could very well cause accidents from people not watching the road and looking at your bike. You will fit with every crowd. Although, not as fast, sportbike guys will love and respect the bike....and the cruiser guys will to. The feeling you get when you clean it or look at it. Durable and proven motor. After market parts are infinite and you can customise it to your wildest imagination. Top Notch suspension, unbeatable handling....even better than your R1.

Cons = Expensive to maintain compared to a Jap bike. Not for 2 people on longer rides. No aftermarket luggage and the high pipes will burn off anything you try to create. Not as fast as a Jap. Goofy Italian quirks. Most aftermarket parts are very high priced. Not practical.

I hope all this jabbering helps.

Tom

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
Jaysun-
I just made the exact same transition. Ride as many Ducs as you can before you give in to the sickness that is Ducati. I'm fairly confident that the S2R is not going to work for you though. The gap between the R1 motor and the S2R is very large. Not so with the Testestretta motor. I left my R1 for an S4RS and can't articulate well enough how much more I enjoy the new bike. Granted- my R1 was stock except for the exhaust and air filter, the S4RS suspension gives a feeling of stability I never had on the R1, even though the S4RS is sitting upright. I've recently fixed that by flipping the bars over, and will eventually go to clip ons but there are a couple of requirements that need sorting by aftermarket suppliers before that happens. The S4R is a well kitted bike and can be made to reach up in hp but I've not ridden one.
Best of luck in your search for moto perfection. I've found mine.

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
Rex,

Sorry to stray a bit here, but you flipped your bars upsidedown? When you did that, did the bars hit the rebound screws on the top of the forks? Did you have to redrill holes for the controls?

Thanks,

Tom

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
i'm 5' 8" and my monster fits me quite well...i rode a FZ1 a while back and i had to stretch a little just to touch the ground...just a thought

·
Registered
165 Posts
Rode my s2r 1k for 1000 miles last week in Daytona. My first bit of extended ride since my purchase after selling my Warrior. Wrist, neck, elbow's, all in pain. So much in fact I was downing motrin all week. I then rode out to the speedway and mounted the new FZ1. Wow what a difference, that bike was night and day more comfy than the ol monster. Had it been an option that day I would have ridden off on the FZ1.

That said, my monster is a character. vibrating it's own little cadence, and the sound is sweet music.

Regarding attention towards the bike, more people looked at this duc than ever looked over the Warrior.

Coming from a sportbike, maybe this won't be a big deal for you. For me it matters a little. How long will the duc be in the garage? Who knows. It is kinda growing on me. Good luck.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts