Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, DMLers. First off, I wanted to say how much I enjoy DML. I haven't contributed much until this point as I didn't own a monster and felt that I didn't have much to contribute.

I finally have the opportunity to pick up a Monster. It is a 2001 M900 Dark with 17,883 miles. All required service has been done by a shop and has been documented. The 18,000 mile service has already been done. There are new belts, new chain and sprockets, newer tires and the clutch has been replaced (at the 18,000 mile service). Also, tank is in perfect shape, no dents. The bike is selling for $4595. Also, I thought that I read some where that monsters before 2002 did not have immobilizers. Is this true? If so, does that mean that I don't need the infamous red key?

What do you think?

Thank you in advance for all of your help and I apologize for my noobie-ness.

-Ryan

·
Registered
45,105 Posts
I'm not much of a horse trader, so no comment on the price itself. If it is a good specimen and you get manyyears and smiles from the machine a couple of bucks either way, IMO, doesn't matter. It sounds good. All the expensive maintenance stuff is done except maybe fork oil. If you are in love do get a second party to look at the bike.

·
Registered
333 Posts
my 01 has a red key...i think most if not all bikes from that year have the immobilizer.
julie

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks, al vento. I'll have to make sure that I get the red key.

-Ryan

·
Premium Member
6,726 Posts
al vento said:
my 01 has a red key...i think most if not all bikes from that year have the immobilizer.
julie
my 01 900 has no immoblizer

G

·
howie said:
No red key on an '01 M900.

Furthermore, no red key on the '01 Monster models at all. al vento, you have some misinformation somewhere I believe. Unless I'm wrong. Could happen I guess. Though I haven't been wrong since '82. Still can't believe the Brewers lost the series.

:angel: duc

·
Premium Member
6,726 Posts
SaintDuc said:
Furthermore, no red key on the '01 Monster models at all. al vento, you have some misinformation somewhere I believe. Unless I'm wrong. Could happen I guess. Though I haven't been wrong since '82. Still can't believe the Brewers lost the series.

:angel: duc
I looked at, what the guy said was an 01 s4...it had a red key. He was a tard...and so am I, so I may be wrong

·
Premium Member
6,726 Posts
The owners manual for the s4's show them to have an immobilizer.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks everyone for all the help. I'm going to pick it up this weekend!!!!

-Ryan

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Just called a local dealer, to make sure and the 2001 Monster 900s didn't have the immobilizer (although, there was no mention made of the S4).

-Ryan

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I already made my first mod.... although not to the bike.

I purchased a Ti membership.....

-Ryan

1 - 14 of 14 Posts