Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello everyone. i've been checking out you site for awhile now. i own a 1994 bmw r1100rs and i love it. most of the time. it just doesnt fit the bill when i want to let it "hang out" a bit.
i've been looking for a naked sport bike and have narrowed it down to a 1998 monster 900 or a 1999 buell x-1 lightning. they have both been worked, exhaust, chip etc... what are the advantages / disadvantages to the monster. i've heard the rumors, electrical, valves and so on. is it that bad? should i think about a later f.i. model?
thanks
joe burns

·
Registered
189 Posts
Cluster,

I know this may sound cliche' like and not be very helpful but it is your choice. Some items for you to ponder...

Carbs vs FI makes for a totally different bike. You really need to try them both. Personally i would take either on a Duc.

A Ducati is a unique breed. To work on it yourself is to grow to love it. Valves, oil changes etc. If you want perfection in terms of reliability go Japanese. This is not to say the Ducatis break often. But you do have to watch the valves (inspections). You could probably ride a Japanese bike for 50 to 100k without touching valves. Not the case with a Ducati.

Lots of people refer to Ducati's having soul on this forum. Ride one for ten miles and you will know what is meant. I personally do not feel the same soul on Buells. I also wonder what the big deal is about Buell? After all it is a Sportster engine. I have ridden them and they just don't do it for me like the Ducati.

I have some aftermarket exhaust on mine and love the sound/noise. I also like people staring and asking me about it. I like talking about it to other bikers. You will be the odd one (in a good way) at the biker parties when you own a Duc.

Try them both. Any dealer worth buying from will let you test drive. Never buy anything without a test drive.

This forum is a tremendous resource. Almost any question is answered. I am still looking for someone to sort of watch over me for my first valve adjust but that is about the only question that never got answered.

Lastly, if you do not like the Duc for some reason consider a Triumph TT600 or a Daytona. Those were my second choices. More Japanese like in terms of sound, performance and up keep.

·
Registered
783 Posts
One thing you should remember is that with the Buell you get a much more agressive riding position. I've never ridden one but most people point this out as one of the first things to look for. Both are great bikes, I had the same delima when I got my 00 M750. I really had my heart set on my Duc.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
100 Posts
I have owned both these machines and if you were asking me straight out which one to buy I'd have to go with the Ducati.
I had a '97 m900 for a year and did 12000 miles without any mechanical trouble attall, the only failures were the neutral switch and the fuel level sender. The sender did leave me stranded but I accept 50% of the blame, waiting for the light to come on instead of zeroing the trip meter as backup.

I had a Buell M2 for four months and 2000 miles, it went like sh#t off a chrome shovel but was constantly requiring attention and money thrown at it. The rear suspension design is a disgrace, don't buy one if you plan to carry a passenger. I took my daughter to the Isle of Skye and I could hear the hugger banging on the oil tank the whole way. I got home to discover the oil tank had a large area of abrasion and the belt had sawn the stone guard in two. I know of an S1 owner in Glasgow who had his oil tank empty all over the rear wheel causing him to crash because of the same problem. You can fix it with a Hyperpro suspension kit but you could buy an old 900 superlight for the same money.

Both my bikes were carb' models and ran like dogs in the winter, if you live in Alaska you should go for an injected one.

G

·
I own a duc (duh!) but i've ridden the buell. Either way you can't go too wrong. I would rather go for the 900 monster. Much more to do with it and heck, its a Ducati.

The Buells just look "cheaper" with all the plastic. That frame is heidious and really needs fairing to cover it up. It has always seemed to be that the Buell was always chasing the Ducati and the Triumph. So if you want something that sounds, looks and quacks like a Duc just buy a Duc.

·
Premium Member
115 Posts
Both are beautiful bikes.The choice depends on your own riding style and needs.In my personal opinion monster is the bike that fits me best but it's just personal.Nevertheless ,don't forget that a ducati owner doesn't own a bike,he owns a DUCATI!

·
Registered
82 Posts
I have ridden both and it seems that the upright Vtwin does not allow for the best handling as the the Ltwin mounted monster. top heavy?? I dont know. go with the monster.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thank you all for the responses. I am going to look at an M900 (98) this comming weekend. It has a bunch of mods and I will post them to see what everyone thinks. Thanks for all the help / advice.
Joe Burns

·
Premium Member
752 Posts
Plus look to make sure the warranty work has been done on the Buell. My friend has one and loves the lightning, but just didn't feel right to me (too much vibration, seat like floss and seemed way too upright for that short a wheelbase and power delivery, talk about wheelies! yikes!!!)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts