Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got the rear passenger grab bars today for my Monster 796. If you get these, know that they do not come with any hardware or instructions, but are easy to install. I didn't realize that they are fairly long and stick out a bit from the rear. Lets see if these grow on me otherwise I may have to take them off.

Some pics below. More pics/ details on my blog at: http://ducatimonster796.blogspot.com/

Attachments

·
Premium Member
271 Posts
I come equipped with my own grab bar. Unfortunately for me I've never had an issue with it protruding too far...

·
Registered
221 Posts
and if you have an older 696/1100
there are 3 holes per handle. the 796 has them. the older bikes have 2

also, if you have a short tail, they may or may not fit due to locations of turn signals.

·
Premium Member
233 Posts
Where did you pick up the grab handles? My dealer could not locate them and assumed they weren't available yet...

·
Premium Member
233 Posts
Thanks for the part #, it will help!

Also, from your blog page, was the bolt the only item not included or did you say a bar is missing too?

Thanks for the quick response!

·
Premium Member
233 Posts
BTW ... Don't forget to post again and let us know if you decide to keep them (whether your 2nd seat guests like them).

·
Premium Member
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the part #, it will help!

Also, from your blog page, was the bolt the only item not included or did you say a bar is missing too?

Thanks for the quick response!
You need just the two bolts (one for each side) that go at the very end of the bar/ frame. The other four bolts (two for each side) are the ones that connect the exhaust to the frame.

No bolts are included with the bars, you have to order them seperately or see if the dealer/ service dept. will give you a couple.

·
Premium Member
233 Posts
Thanks again. You rock. I'm confident my dealer will mount them for me at not charge if I order the handles from them and also give me 10% off because I just purchased my bike :)

·
Premium Member
233 Posts
Uuu - it would also be interesting to know if the hands of the person using the grab handles ends up with hot hands from the heat of the nearby pipes...

·
Premium Member
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Uuu - it would also be interesting to know if the hands of the person using the grab handles ends up with hot hands from the heat of the nearby pipes...
So got to really try them out today. They were fine for the passenger but it did make her sit up straight and when riding two up, I do like the passenger leaned in a bit. Other than that, really sturdy. They are high enough that they don't get hot and especially with gloves on, totally comfortable.

·
Premium Member
271 Posts
Grab bars were never my thing... I mean there's the obvious that it's nice to have your passenger giving you a squeeze the whole trip, but it also lets me know where their body is. Great info to have mid turn and also when they decide to shuffle around at a red light.

·
Premium Member
233 Posts
The other reason I am considering them is that the 796 does not have a lot of places to hook any tail bags to. I also want to reduce and line pressure on the rear body work. The handles loom like a good hook point that is not a complete wrap around for tail bag lines.

That's for the input! :)

·
Premium Member
233 Posts
Uuu - any updates? Are they growing on you? I ordered them if only for a place to hook my cortech tail bag to....

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
What did the bars run you, if you don't mind me asking.

·
Premium Member
233 Posts
The price was set by Ducati at $129.00 (I think it may actually be $128.60). Don't pay more ;)

Some dealers will chop off another 10% if you bought the bike from them (mine did).

Takes about 10 days for them to show up at the dealer (I just ordered mine a few days ago, so still waiting).

Safe riding!

·
Premium Member
233 Posts
Finally installed the grab handles... I think they look very cool. I now finally have a place to hook up my tail bag without worrying about scratching the body!

It is also the first time I have taken off the cowl. I like the Ducati imprint on the back of the seat, reminds me of the aftermarket Ducati gel touring seat I had on my '02 750ie.

Thanks for posting the pics UUU, it is part of the reason I felt comfortable putting them on as I was able to get an idea of how they looked prior to making the purchase. For a Ducati part, I am amazed at how reasonable the price was ($127.xx - 10% for being a recent bike purchaser ;) ).

1 - 19 of 19 Posts