Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As Monster owners and enthusiasts, those of you have seen one face to face, or actually ridden one, what do you think about the Streetfighter?

At 155 HP & 85 lb of torque, I know it's a beast, but what do you think about how it sits, the tank configuration, and those butterfly antenna (not my quote) mirrors? I was told it "sits high" and "you can't see the front end". Anyone else experience that? My dealership here in Raleigh NC had one for about a week, but was gone before I could get over there. The guys on the other side of town have yet to have one.

Thanks.

Dan
'08 S2R1000

·
Premium Member
5,076 Posts
Since you asked: I don't like the design or the motor, but..............it's not my bike. If you like it, why care whether or not anyone else does?

·
Premium Member
503 Posts
I think the Streetfighter is beautiful. Too much bike for me though (both power-wise and $$$-wise)

·
Registered
54 Posts
If you want closer to a traditional Ducati superbike then the streetfighter is the way to go, the Monsters are better at being a day to day street bike. After owning a Ducati super bike (996) and a Monster I would never go back to a superbike or streetfighter again. The Monster is easer to ride around town, more comfortable, and the upkeep costs are a lot lower at least on the 2v models.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I test rode a Streetfighter for about 80 miles with my dealer one Sunday morning. Im not sure why, but for some reason, I just clicked with the Monster 1100S.

As much as I wanted to love the SF, the Monster was the right bike for me. I think I felt that if I got the Streetfighter, I might as well have just bought a 1098/1198.

Besides, there is something mystical about the air cooled motors...

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Like a Superbike

If you want closer to a traditional Ducati superbike then the streetfighter is the way to go, the Monsters are better at being a day to day street bike. After owning a Ducati super bike (996) and a Monster I would never go back to a superbike or streetfighter again. The Monster is easer to ride around town, more comfortable, and the upkeep costs are a lot lower at least on the 2v models.
That's what I keep hearing, that the SFighter feels like, what it is, a superbike with no fairing. Guess that stands to reason.

Thanks for your thoughts,

Dan

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Wanting to love it, knowing better

I test rode a Streetfighter for about 80 miles with my dealer one Sunday morning. Im not sure why, but for some reason, I just clicked with the Monster 1100S.

As much as I wanted to love the SF, the Monster was the right bike for me. I think I felt that if I got the Streetfighter, I might as well have just bought a 1098/1198.

Besides, there is something mystical about the air cooled motors...
Believe I'm in that way, wanting to like the SF, but knowing once I ride or even see one, I won't be so ethusiastic; not necessarily a bad thing at $16K.

Thanks for your thoughts,

Dan

·
Registered
10 Posts
I wanted to like the Streetfighter, but. . .

I ended up walking out the door with a 2010 1100s. Money wasn't an issue. In fact my dealership would have sold me their 2009 SF for close to the same price that I bought the 2010 1100s. In the end, I liked the way the 1100s handled. It felt much more nimble. I thought the SF was a beast to lean into a turn. I also am not really keen on the looks of the SF. I liked the looks of the S4RS much better.

·
Registered
1 Posts
excillense

The initiative taken for the concern is very serious and need an
attention of every one. This is the concern which exists in the
society and needs to be eliminated from the society as soon as
possible.

helmet speakers

·
Premium Member
5,076 Posts
The 1100 is probably the nicest motor ducati makes. (in my opinion)

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
More confirmation

I ended up walking out the door with a 2010 1100s. Money wasn't an issue. In fact my dealership would have sold me their 2009 SF for close to the same price that I bought the 2010 1100s. In the end, I liked the way the 1100s handled. It felt much more nimble. I thought the SF was a beast to lean into a turn. I also am not really keen on the looks of the SF. I liked the looks of the S4RS much better.
I appreciate your thoughts. Sounds like I wouldn't be happy with a SF, as much as I wanted to this otherwise. Enjoy that 1100s, and congrats!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hi Norm, I'm a newbie, so pardon my ignorance.. But what makes you think so fondly of the 1100 engine? Versus, for instance, my S2R1000, is it the Siemens electronic fuel injection, or is there a big difference between a compression ratio of 10.7:1 and 10:1?
Thanks.
Dan

·
Premium Member
5,076 Posts
Torque - it's what makes a twin fun to ride. And put the power range down low so you don't have to rev the piss out of it. Kinda like a muscle car from the 60s.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Dan, I think what Norm might be trying to say is that the 1100 motor has been in the Ducati line up for so many years that its hard to beat the tried and true design...my first encounter with this motor was back in 1991 as a 900 SS and I watched it go from the 900, to 1000 to the current 1100 model.

Just a great motor that has tons of character and history...and it seems to just flow so well with the Monster chassis.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts