Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been lurking and thought I would pose a question for you all. I am riding a Suzuki SV 650 - well, not right now, because there's a foot of snow in my driveway! I am deciding on my first Ducati. The choice is either a 900 Monster or an ST2. I am a fairly small guy at 5' 9" tall and 145 pounds and I almost never ride with a passenger, so I don't think I need the extra HP and torque of the ST4s or the S4R. I won't be touring very much, but I like to take short (400-mile) trips around the loop once in a while. Anyone ever been in the same predicament choosing between these two Ducs?

·
Registered
82 Posts
Well, I have a monster 620 and a st2. They are very different motorcycles. They sound alot like but if you like the sv 650 you will probablely like the monster better. The look the torque the handling is just better to me. I am also small and unless you like BIG POWER the st2 is all you need as opposed to the st4. If the st2 had abs then hands down st2. Maybe you should look at the st3 which is new and ride them both to see.
But I am biased towards my monster for the best all around machine.

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i had a 750 monster for 1 year. then i rode an st4 for 2 years and just sold it this year and bought an 800s. the st4 was an awesome bike! unfortunately i ride year round and dont have the proper self control to ride something with 100+ rwhp everyday. seems like you get used to the acceleration and look down after ripping a couple of gears to see 100+ mph and it doesnt seem that fast! anyway, the shop i frequent lets me test ride bikes and i was trying to decide between the multi and another monster. rode the multi for a day and the new 800s for a day. the multi was blah! very uninspiring. the monster was a hoot! after riding the wheels off of a 500lb sleeper, the lighter weight was a newfound joy to flick and give a serious caning! i am much happier now with my daily scoot and am just waiting for my pcIII to arrive so it can be tweaked properly and then install some sweet sounding pipes and ill be done. oh by the way you know you can get the exact bags from the st2/4/4s to fit a new monster? i got them and it gives a ton of storage space and makes the bike LOOK slower. big advantage when johnny-law is watching.

·
Premium Member
496 Posts
oh by the way you know you can get the exact bags from the st2/4/4s to fit a new monster? i got them and it gives a ton of storage space and makes the bike LOOK slower. big advantage when johnny-law is watching.
Is this true? Do you have a pic w/ bags?

·
Premium Member
93 Posts
As I understand it the bags will fit on 2000 and newer Monsters. I think there was a picture of a yellow Monster with bags on the Ducati.com site and an article about touring on one. I think that would be pretty cool as well. I just sold a 91 ST1100 and am looking on purchasing a monster as well.

Mark

H

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You can get an ST2 for a song (your song, not mine, I can't sing) compaired to an ST4. I think if I lived in Alaska, I'd want the wind protection of the ST. (or maybe an igloo)

·
Banned
3,931 Posts
As a Monster owner for six years and now an ST2 owner, I guess I should throw out my opinion on this.

I've had no desire to do a wheelie on the ST2 when pulling away from a stop, where the Monster always made me feel that way. The ST2 just feels like a bigger, more respectable bike.

As for fitting the saddlebags on the Monster, I spent Thanksgiving morning putting the brackets back on my ST2, and unless they've significantly modified the frame on the newer Monsters, it's not a simple bolt-on procedure. The ST2 has two bolt holes on each side of the rear frame for those brackets, and the footpeg hangers (or whatever you call those things) have specific holes that the front of the bracket bolts to to get a solid mounting. The 1997 (and older) Monster frames don't line up the same way. Also, the pipe mounting point drops almost two inches when you put the brackets in place. ST2 pipes can rotate down, but not Monster pipes.

Maybe they bolt right up on the newer frames, but don't try it on the older frame.

I'm going to have to get used to the back end of the ST2 being wide. I can hardly wait for the first time I try splitting between cars and scrape one with one of the bags. :p

·
Premium Member
321 Posts
I faced a similar descision, I had an SV should I buy a ST or Monster?

I opted for a monster M1000, the ST is a big/wide/heavy motorcycle compared to a SV. Even my new monster (M1000) is notably taller and heavier, although it only took a few days to adjust. I do mostly town driving.

If you are just looking for a better version of your SV then pick the Monster, If you are looking for a sports tourer, a different kind of bike than the SV then choose a ST.

Although ST2s are cheap they are end of line, better to go for the new ST3.

If you are interested *only* in the quantity of motorcycle for your buck then the ST3 wins hands down, more powerful than a M900 across the rev range, a full fairing and proper pillion. It also includes an immoboliser.

But its not a monster!

Hope this helps

stu

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the information and opinion - exactly what I was looking for. I'll continue my search for a used Ducati. BTW, the exhaust in the pic above looks like the prototype for the KTM RC8 featured in this month's MOTORCYCLING mag.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts