Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter #1
I'm entirely new to the world of road motorcycles. Have been in love with the Monster for years and now it is time to buy one. Have a couple friends with the 620's and they love them to bits, but one of them wishes he had purchased the 800 for that extra bit of power.

As a newbie, should I buy the 620 and upgrade to Termi cans, or should I spend the money I would use on the cans to move up to the 800 instead. Most of my riding is city riding, although I do have some windy roads I'm sure I'll make it to in short order.

Thanks for the input.

·
Registered
915 Posts
Remember to factor in gear...which may run up to 1000 bucks and take the MSF.

gnew

·
Banned
3,931 Posts
Get the 800 if you want it. The power is very controllable, so it should work well, if you're going to get a new bike anyway.

As always, the experienced riders will suggest you start off with a used bike so you don't feel so bad when you eventually drop it.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Thats right, eventually you'll drop it. I did and i got over it and was lucky,didn't have to spend much to make it right again. Buying a good used one is always a good idea, but remember your buying something that someone probably ran the snot out of. If you can get a good deal on a new one ( and right now that seems to be the case on monsters ) thats what I'd do. Then you'll know just what was or was not done to it. Thats just my opinion.

·
Registered
4,928 Posts
I was recently faced with the same decision...

and opted for the '04 620. Both my wife and the salesman were trying to talk me into the 800 because my last bike was a 750 in-line 4. I even test rode the 800 and it was fine for me. I opted for the 620 for the slipper clutch, the 40% less clutch lever effort (I'll appreciate that when I ge caught in traffic) and the price difference. I even considered an 800SS since it's a lot less than the M800.

Also, it will be easier to convince my wife 2 years from now that I also "need" an ST3. ;)

G

·
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the input everyone, please keep it coming. Does the difference in clutch effort b/w the 620 and 800 become really noticeable in stop and go traffic? Also, I hear the seat hight on the 800 is a bit higher than the 620's. I'm 6ft 1, so not sure if this will make a huge difference. Inseam is about 34-35. Will be taking one out for a test rip sometime next week.

G

·
Discussion Starter #10
I bought an 800 straight out of the MSF class just over a year ago. It was my first bike and it has turned out to be a great one. It has power, but I think it's very controllable as long as you have a steady hand.
The clutch pull is a little heavy when you are stuck in traffic, but you can always buy an aftermarket slave cyllinder to help out with this.
If you can afford it, go with the 800. I think the 620 will leave you wanting more....

G

·
Discussion Starter #11
Been there, asked that question. Get the 800. I ride mine in hideous stop and start traffic all the time - I commute through Denver's infamous T-REX highway construction. Sure, the clutch takes some work, but a tight left forearm for a week is a small price to pay. You'll get over it fast and won't mind it at all.

G

·
Discussion Starter #12
800 is the way to go. if there is any thought that you may want more power, you will be kicking yourself in a year for not buying the 800. the clutch is no big deal, you wont even notice it. some may say you can add pipes, a chip and open airbox etc. bu the is NO REPLACEMENT FOR DISPLACEMENT!
ride safe ;D

·
Registered
392 Posts
The clutch is heavy, but you'll get used to it. I bought a 620 and have no regrets, but I should have bought an 800.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Hello
I was in the exact same position as you not too long ago. Last year i completed the msf and was sitting on the fence between the 620 and 800 I asked the same question here and decided on the 800 I had absolutely no experience riding as it would be my first bike. I opted to go for a 03 Dark 800 and absolutely love it. As for the slipper clutch i cant comment but i dont find the clutch on the 800 that frightfull on down shifts Ive driven standard cars all my life so maybe thats helped me in some ways. My vote is 800 all the way power is nice and smooth and as long as you have a good head on your shoulders it should provide you with tons of fun....Whatever you decide Welcome to the club and Enjoy....

G

·
Discussion Starter #15
I really like the Monster and think that for a new rider the 620 would really be the way to go. At the light weight and 60 hp, it is a very capable bike.

I would suggest going over to beginnerbikes.com I have found this to be a GREAT resource for beginner riders (I can't wait until I get my M endorsement) so that I can buy a bike, and if I buy the Ducati.

If you are still deciding Ducati or not Ducati... Go to Ducati's website and listen to the sound bites for the engine...

·
Registered
5 Posts
800+walla walla bing bang/bling bling=S4R? Can someone check my math please.

Get the 800. Youll like it later in life.

G

·
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks for all of the input!! Heavily swinging towards the 800. Will see how much I can make the dealer budge on price. Any other supporters?!?!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts