Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1998 M900 and have read a bunch of articles about big valve engines, aluminum swingarms, and Showa forks, etc. My bike has the aluminum swingarm and the adjustable Showa forks, does this mean that it is an "S" model? What about the valves? From what I have read, Ducati changed to a smaller valve engine in 1998 for emission reasons, how can I tell? What are the differences in 1998 between an "S" and a regular model? Sorry about all of the questions but I have not seen anything definitive, yet. Dave

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
In 98 Ducati only offered a M900 no S designation until 99. Your bike has essentialy same equipment as an S.

·
Premium Member
1,928 Posts
The `98 M900S came in all black (tank, fairing, seat cowl, wheels, frame...) and had CF Front fender, rear hugger, side panels, and heel guards.

It was a big valve engine, with fully adjustable Showas, but the S-model didn't get the Ohlins shock until `99.

(I swiped that from Ian Faloon's book... Judging from Dave R's post, it may not have been available in the US)

--Fillmore

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So would that mean that since I have the adjustable Showa that I would have the bigger valve engine? Or, do they not necessarily go together? From my reading, it seems that Ducati has been known to do some odd things(understatement?) mid-year on some models.

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
D-C, Thanks! I was hoping for a reference like that. Dave

·
Premium Member
1,928 Posts
So would that mean that since I have the adjustable Showa that I would have the bigger valve engine?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts