1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Premium Member
3,833 Posts
i was just looking at Buell's site and came across this thing. I guess I never realized how much like the monster this looks. Kind of like the Speed triple too in a way... Is this a knockoff bike? I'm sure it's not a new model but they're for sure copying something here...
http://www.buell.com/en_us/products/motorcycles/lightning/9s/9s_main.asp
Before I bought my M900, it was down to the M, or the XB9S. I never rode the Buell, but i sat on one and got to check it out. I don't think its very monster like. Actually, i think its pretty original. Its actually and updated version of the older tube frame lightnings. Only now, the gas tank is the frame, oil tank is the swing arm. Im told they handle like nobody's business. All the mass is down low, and i did notice that while i sat on it. Its a decent machine. A little on the pricy side, but nothing to laugh at. Ride one if you get the chance. I know i would.

Kevin

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'll try to get on one this weekend. They look so weird, I like that.

·
Premium Member
3,833 Posts
I'll try to get on one this weekend. They look so weird, I like that.

Wait till you *hear* one :) Its right up there with Ducati in the sound area. I like the way the Duc sounds better, but the Buell has a really sick idle, and i love that.

Kevin

G

·
i'm sorry but i don't think they look very similar at all. ok, they're both naked twins, but they've got some huge styling differences...

buell:
- twin-spar-type frame
- under-engine exhaust
- AWESOME swingarm
- "inside-out" brakes on front rim
- dual headlamps

monster:
- trellis frame
- conventional low-mount exhaust
- box swingarm
- conventional brakes on front rim
- round headlamp

honestly, i think the buell looks increadible! i checked one out a while back. if they stuffed a v-rod's motor in it, it would be in serious contention for my $$...

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
I think those BUELLS are pretty cool, they are REALLY small when you sit on them. I don't dig the exaust note AT ALL to be honest. WOuld I ever own one? no. If someone I knew had one, would I beg for a ride? yes If I won it in a contest, would I try and sell it...probably.

Neat engeneering tho'

:-D

·
Premium Member
114 Posts
i actually test drove the buell firebolt (quite similar to the lightning) before i decided on the monster...i liked the look a lot, and the sound was different too, but the test drive really helped me decide against it. While the handling was superb (surprising given the real short wheelbase), it definitely felt underpowered.....the real kicker though was about 15 minutes into the test ride, my arse started cooking on that seat....it was a hot day (bout 85 deg.)...the engine's obviously air-cooled and that rear cylinder wasn't getting much cool air...there's a fan under the seat that kicked in (quite loud - definitely noticeable) which didn't seem to help much....by the time we got back to the dealership, i was glad to get off that damn seat.....just sharin my experiences with it (i've never regretted choosing my monster!! ;D though i definitely found the buell's styling cool and original)

·
Premium Member
451 Posts
My personal opinion is that the Buells are knock offs. There may be many differnce's but from a distance the lines look quite alike (more so for the older model Buells, than the new). I have had way too many people come over to my bike thinking it was a Buell....

They sound cool, but a little crude for my taste. I have heard a lot of stories of them falling off their side stands from the vibration when idleing, couse this would never happen with a Duc since it won't run with the side stand down..... But that is another thread.

jl

·
Premium Member
873 Posts
I really don't see the resemlence other than the fact it's a naked sport. It sounds like the new xb12 is a kickass little bike and a real improvement over the xb9. Price has come down substantially as well this year. Having said all that, I would never trade in my monster for one.

·
Registered
376 Posts
I don't care much for the Buell look, and I really dislike most
hardcore H-D types (my impression with most is either: dirty, old, dumb, and holier-than-thou,......or, middle age, rich, and trying to be the former {I know, I know, you or your H-D riding friend are different}, but my general impressions usually hold fairly true). But that being said, Buell runs pretty cool looking ads in Playboy ;D.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
When I saw a few at the dealership last fall I was not impressed at all with the amount of plastic parts on the Buells. They seemed to use a lot more plastic for parts that the Ducati would use metal for. Same went for the HD bikes I saw. They used palstic covers for a lot of things and it just looked a little chincsy to me. I guess I'm just hooked on the naked minimal look of the Monster.

G

·
I road one. Quirky handling. Don't try to brake deep into a turn, it'll stand right up. Has no rev capability, the WORST 5 speed in the business, and a clutch pull that will give you tendonitis! But it sure looks good... The M1000 smokes it in every way imagineable.

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
One thing that I don't like about the new Buell's is the fact that they had to create a valve 'inside' the exhaust to get the midrange that's missing from previous models. Seems kinda weird to make a change to the exhaust (although ya gotta give them credit for creativity) instead of fixing the shortcomings in the engine itself.

I'm betting that the next couple of years will be pretty interesting form these bikes. As they finally get the things tuned right and make them a bit more reliable. Competition is good, i say.

G

·
For me it was down to the wire between the Buell XB9S and the Monster. I test rode the Buell and I thought it was an agile little bike. Reminded me a lot of a quick slalom ski. I have heard it lacks power but I never did get it over about 40mph. I thought it was a really small bike, (then again I'm 6'4"). Thought I looked like one of those big circus bears on a tiny bike. In the end the look and feel of the moster just got me. I still wish I could have test rode the moster before buying it though.

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
many modern sportbikes employ variable exhaust restrictions
to smooth the torque curve. yamaha started it with the
exup, and now honda and suzuki have similar systems.
one alternative is a fairly sophisticated / complicated
variable valve timing system. IMHO, the exhaust restriction
is an effective and simple solution.

·
Premium Member
4,093 Posts
I test rode the firebolt and the Monster when looking to buy.Our HD dealer was doing everything possible to get me to go with the firebolt. I was really in love with the Monster. And our HD mechanic actually took me aside and told us to go with the Ducati!!! So that pretty much settled it there, but in my heart I knew I was going to come home with a Monster!
Some day we might have a Buell in the garage, just as a extra bike.

·
Registered
2,495 Posts
Okay.... I was trying to stay away from this thread ;) I can't! Let's undo a few tall tales.... Buell's do not vibrate off thier sidestands, the earlier models were better, no it is not or ever could be a Monster. Marty has probably one of the most tricked out Buell's out there. Michael Moore and Marty swapped bikes last year on a ride, I think Michael will attest it is a fun bike, but not for everyone. With that said, I have to add that the whole Hooligan lifestyle,association that the Monster has is because of Buell's first publicity campaign which tauts it as being the Hooligan bike.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts