Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,
I am picking up my monster later today, and am truly excited as it is my first bike! One question though regarding insurance. I went through my current car insurance provider, and i have a clean driving record, and it comes out to about 1160 a year! When i talked to them about specifics, they said that if i had a harley it would have been about 400 a year. How can there be such a large jump, just due to the name ducati? They also classified the bike as a sports bike, which i tried to explain that it is more of a standard bike. Has anyone else had this problem with their insurance providers? Thanks guys.
Aaron

·
Registered
47 Posts
I too had this issue. I started at about 1000 a year. After the first year with no issues it dropped to about 600.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
I'm only paying about $325/yr through Geico, but I'm over 40 with 25+ years of riding experience and that may have something to do with it.

I tried to use progressive, because they had the best price for my truck insurance, but they were in the $575 neighborhood.

Go online with either of those two companies and you can play with coverage amounts, deductables and those 'extras', and end up with a better price.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Have you tried going thru a different insurance provider? I co-worker of mine suggested I get bike insurance thru a differnt provider than my car, in the event of an accident. I looked around and Progressive was the cheapest I found. I dont have a monster yet, but I suspect that I'll be going thru similar problems.

·
Registered
158 Posts
I've been getting quotes from providers and the lowest I've been quoted was 444/year from GEICO, 697 from Progressive, and 562 from a company called Foremost. These are for full coverages with a 1,000 dollar deductible for collision and comprehensive, no medical payments. GEICO's quote didn't mention covering add-on parts, which Progressive covers 3,000 and Foremost covers 3,500. Foremost also mentioned if they do have a claim where parts are to be replaced they use Ducati parts instead of cheaper alternatives.

I'm 28, this is for a Monster 796 and I have a clean record. Coverage limits are at the 25k/50k level.

·
Registered
158 Posts
The fire was not my fault, I'm not a pyromaniac!, it spread from another building, my insurance only covers contents and not temp accomodation so I want to know how I go about getting this cost back and also where I stand in terms of rent because the building is uninhabitable (no electricity, monster hole in roof)
:confused: spam bot?

·
Registered
27 Posts
When you leave collission out the price should drop significantly. Most of the time your bike will be covered anyway as accidents are typically the other parties fault and paid for by their insurance company. Unless you become unlucky of course and hit someone or have someone with no insurance hit you... It's the risk you'll need to take vs. saving on insurance. Comprehpensive is fairly cheap and covers things like theft, water damage, acts if god..etc....

·
Registered
34 Posts
When I bought my 1100 it was about the same as my CBR1000. The only reason I can figure is the cost to fix/replace the Ducati Parts. I use Progressive and have for several years. I had truly expected to get a savings so I raised my deductible to $1000.

State Farm is by far the cheapest if you have your car with them. They only rate bikes by cc's. It used to save me a ton on sport bike coverage but now with my company car they are not on the approved list of insurance I can use.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Hi guys,
I am picking up my monster later today, and am truly excited as it is my first bike! One question though regarding insurance. I went through my current car insurance provider, and i have a clean driving record, and it comes out to about 1160 a year! When i talked to them about specifics, they said that if i had a harley it would have been about 400 a year. How can there be such a large jump, just due to the name ducati? They also classified the bike as a sports bike, which i tried to explain that it is more of a standard bike. Has anyone else had this problem with their insurance providers? Thanks guys.
Aaron
Hey, PM me if you want the name of my insurance guy. I'm not sure if he operates out of MO, but it's worth a shot to pick his brain.

My insurance is like $1350/yr for a Monster 1100 (this is my first Duc). A lot of it has to do with your driving record on your license, your experience as a rider, and the cc's of the bike. If I just got a Honda Rebel or V-Star 450 or something, the insurance would be next to nothing relatively.

Whatever you do, get FULL coverage.

·
Super Moderator
3,955 Posts
Shop around. Sportbikes are typically more expensive to insure mainly because the fairings are (a) expensive, and (b) easily damaged, so there are a lot of payouts on that. Of course this does not apply to the Monster, but not all insurance companies know enough about bikes to know that. When I bought mine (way back in 1993) I had the same problem; I got quotes for full coverage that ranged from $1700/yr to $500/yr, and the main difference was whether the company saw "Ducati" and automatically responded "sportbike", or whether they actually looked at the model and classified it as a "standard" without fairings.

PhilB

1 - 10 of 10 Posts