Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Whats the smallest truck you can fit your monster into.

I'm looking at getting a cheap little truck for when the weather craps out. It'd be nice to be able to pick up my bike while I'm at it.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Tacomas work too...

[attachment deleted by admin]

·
Banned
7,484 Posts
Pretty much any truck will work, but you might have to put the tailgate down (as above) if you want to have it go straight in as opposed to diagonal.

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
One of the locals brought two 900s to a track day in the back of his VW pick up... Wouldn't ahve belived it save for the photos.

·
Premium Member
671 Posts
yuu said:
One of the locals brought two 900s to a track day in the back of his VW pick up... Wouldn't ahve belived it save for the photos.
You don't happen to have a pic of that would you? Sounds like one of those must see pics :eek: [thumbsup]

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
fatlab said:
Make sure you get a good ramp to go along with that pickup!
Thanks for bringing that up [clap] that reminds me.

What kind of ramp do you use? What is your method for loading and unloading?

Last week 3 of us picked my monster up , first the front end onto the tailgate, then the rest. I was pretty worried that someone would grab my cans, whether by a quick-reaction accident, or by a stupid accident.

At least I know I could do it that way if I had to.

·
Premium Member
723 Posts
If your getting a used truck, be careful of the rotating pieces on the tailgate. They are a big rust point on my S-10, and i would not trust them alone to hold the 400+ pounds of my bike when i am pushing it up. Also, getting in and out of the bed is not a task easily accomplishable by yourself. I got an old trailer for 200 bucks to tow behind. Its so much easier to use, and i get a lot more functionality with it. Plus you can tie it down the same way it is when its crated. That pick of the Ranger, I am sure that the back right corner was a trick to tie.

·
Registered
4,745 Posts
Aguacate said:
What kind of ramp do you use? What is your method for loading and unloading?
get a notched ramp, the kind that is flatter at the top.

find a curb or a driveway, anything to reduce the angle some. then it's really easy to roll it up there. you'll want to do it with 2 people but i've seen ppl do it solo... in that case you need something intermediate for you to step up on to. but i'd get a friend.

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
I have seen people use loading docks to load bikes. Just find a loading dock that has a ramp attached. Drop the tailgate and roll the bike right in. But, you need a loading dock near where you are taking the bike. Not the most convenient, but it works.

·
Registered
6,149 Posts
usually use a motorcycle ramp
although we have used a flat-bed tow-truck before (was really weird sitting on the bike while the truck went at all sorts of funny angles)

·
Registered
124 Posts
pennyrobber said:
I have seen people use loading docks to load bikes. Just find a loading dock that has a ramp attached. Drop the tailgate and roll the bike right in. But, you need a loading dock near where you are taking the bike. Not the most convenient, but it works.
That is my favorite way and what I usually do when I'm unloading at home. I've got a freight company that's 3 blocks from the house that's nice enough to let me use their bay. In fact, I need to get them a pizza one of these nights to thank them.

Another local has a 2 fold (3 section) ramp that he uses as a bed cargo box as well.

·
Registered
1,893 Posts
Duke Dave said:
<snip>
I got an old trailer for 200 bucks to tow behind. Its so much easier to use, and i get a lot more functionality with it. Plus you can tie it down the same way it is when its crated.
+1

This is the route I'd go, too. Trailers with ramps are waaay handier for loading bikes, and a small trailer can be towed behind just about anything -- even a small car.

The only downside to a trailer is that you'll need space to store it when not in use.

·
Registered
969 Posts
I have an 03 Tacoma, extended cab (the guy who posted the Tacoma/bike pix has a dual cab thus the bed is shorter than the extended cab's bed) my Monster does not have it's rear wheel resting on the tail gate. I can not close the tail gate with the bike in but the tire is not on it at all. I guess it doesn't make too much difference , just pointing it out. I do think I feel more comfortable with the rear wheel resting in the bed than relying on the two cables which hold the tail gate up.

Trailers:
I did this for years, U-hauls, and though it is easier to load than a pick-up, it uses more gasoline to get where you are going and as someone else said, if you own one you have to store it when not using it. With the U-haul, ya gotta pay for it each time you need to haul a bike...an expense and a pain logistically at times reserving, picking up and returning. As long as I own motorcycles, I'll own a pick-up truck.

Loading in a truck:
A guy I work with showed me the best method yet but ya gotta have the landscape to do it. I now back my truck perpendicular to the road that is in front of my house, there is a ditch between the edge of the road and the start of my yard. I back the truck up with the rear tires in the ditch and then lower the tail gate. (Better have a 4 wheel drive for this method). Sometimes if I hit the yard right, I don't even need a ramp, the tail gate acts as one. I have also loaded and unloaded using this method without any help. For loading (more difficult to do by yourself than unloading) I get all of the tie downs hooked to the truck prior to rolling the bike in. Once in, put the bike on it's side stand and hook the front R.H. strap to the bike very loosely. Sit on the bike and put up the side stand. Lean the bike to the left and put your L.H. strap on. Then while still sitting on the bike I snug down the straps till the bike will stay up on it's own. Get off the bike and finish up the job, getting it straight and putting the rear straps on.

I also, always use a homemade wheel chock.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.