Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I decided to learn how to ride after seeing my first Monster at a bike rally. I totally fell in love. I took the class, got an old Suzuki to learn on and I'm starting to feel pretty confident and see the light at the end of the tunnel. My problem is, I need some way to decide which one. I've been learning on a 500 and it's starting to feel kinda sluggish. But, my husband let me try his Z1000 and it is waaaay too twitchy for me. We went to a demo day at our local Ducati dealership and I got to try the 620. It was so great! But, I wasn't able to try anything else (they were very busy). So, I'm not sure what to do. I don't really know enough about the difference in performance/handling in the different year/models. I don't mind a used bike instead of a brand new one, but what are the drawbacks? Will a 620 be enough of a jump for me? I loved everything about it, but in a few months am I going to with I'd have gotten something else? Are there things I should know about the older ones and look out for compared to the newer ones? I've seen some people ask questions about how to pick a bike, and I do realize it's mostly about what I prefer and can handle. I'm just hoping to soak up some of your expertise before I make a uninformed decision! As you can tell, I'm pretty new at this so ANY advise would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
86 Posts
IMO you may wind up wanting more than the 600 offers, even a newer 620 is a step up. I love my 900, and there are lots of them and 750's out there in good shape. Get it checked by a duc mechanic before you buy, a poorly maintained ducati can prove expensive in the long run.

I'm guessing that you are not interested in paying the price for a new 800 (nearly as much power as the 900) or the 1000. Either would be a good though more expensive choice in a used bike.

If you don't need the power of the larger engine all the time, at least it's there in reserve for passing situations, etc. when you want it. Monsters deliver their power pretty smoothly over a large rpm range, so they don't tend to be particularly "twitchy".

·
Registered
555 Posts
ok Renazai
heres my .02
the 620 makes around 55ish hp
the 750 makes around 60ish hp
the 800 makes around 65ish hp
the 900 makes around 65ish hp
the 1000 makes around 70ish hp

the numbers are just that, numbers. all of the bikes will feel very similar chassis wise, some will have better suspension some will have more brakes (notice i didnt say better ;) ).
the torque is more telling: the larger bikes have more mid-range torque.
it more boils down to what you like.
if you prefer to stick the bike into one gear and ride around , more torque is better.
if you enjoy shifting often and giving the bike a good workout then the smaller bikes can be more fun.
where you ride can make a difference.
highways...big bikes are more fun
back roads....a little bike can carve corners as good as the big bikes.You will have a big smile when the guys on big bikes cant get rid of that pesky little bike on their tail. ;D
If you ride with guys on big bikes all the time it can get a little old watching the jump to light speed at every straight.
cheers

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Renazai, I think the 620 will be a great choice! The only way I ever felt like my 620 was slow was when I rode with bigger bore bikes. When I'm alone it's bliss!

·
Registered
852 Posts
How much do you weigh? So far I have been keeping up with all the bigger bore Monsters (not all Ducatis, I can forget about keeping up with the Supersport and the Superbike in a straightline) and I have a stock 620 Dark (2003). The only other big difference is that I weigh under 120lb while the other guys weigh at least 180. I should add, though, I don't have their top speed, but for acceleration up to 90 no one has been able to really dust me so far. In the twisties, I kept up with almost all the bikes, regardless.

I rode the 800 at Duc Sea a while back, and the only difference I could feel was a smoother ride and the 800 requires slightly less rev to eliminate that "small twin" vibration. I have not outridden my bike yet, after 4000 miles in 8 months (remember we have a cold winter here!). The 800 also has more top speed and a smoother "pull", but I don't see why I would need that on a freeway or any public road, to be honest. Maybe I am just getting old. :D

·
Registered
668 Posts
Benvenuta !

620 ie is a great bike. You should find some used ones, but also new ones are great deals.

I would recommend ie (electronic injection) model.

S model has adjustable suspension.

And Ducvet, m1000 has "over" 84 hp ..... ;D

Skier

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
if you can afford it go for a 800cc,only 5lbs more weight
and more torque,
but for a first bike the 620cc in a good choice.

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You guys are great! Thanks so much for all the replies, I'm going to put it to good use!

·
Registered
4,928 Posts
Are those Canadian horsepower ?

ok Renazai
heres my .02
the 620 makes around 55ish hp
the 750 makes around 60ish hp
the 800 makes around 65ish hp
the 900 makes around 65ish hp
the 1000 makes around 70ish hp
Your numbers are all a little low from published numbers.
The 620 is 60 and IIRC, the 750 was 64 and the 800 at around 73.

·
Premium Member
3,095 Posts
I switched form my 620 to the 900 in less than 5000 miles of ownership. I'd say it felt considerably different. Not just the power, but the chasis/control and weight were different. I think the 620 is enemic in the power department, and that's why I switched up to the 900 (although it's no R1). The 620 is very flickable (light) and quite fun/easy to ride the twisties with.
Ride a few different Monsters and see what you feel comfotrable with.
T

·
Premium Member
189 Posts
2004 ducati monster

620= 60 hp
800= 73hp
1000= 84hp

2000-2003 ducati monster

600= 54hp
750= 62hp
900= 78hp
as per ducati.com :)

·
Registered
555 Posts
those hp numbers come from a dynojet dyno.
rear wheel numbers - what is really hitting the road.
ducati quotes numbers from the countershaft (front sprocket)
many others quote from the crankshaft.
even rear wheel dynos will vary some in their readings thats why they are really only useful as before and after comarison tools.

the numbers I gave are what I have seen consistantly. there are always outliers , ducatis are still assembled by humans.
cheers

1 - 13 of 13 Posts