Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I turn the key to try and start the Monster ('99 M750, DP pipe, jet kit), the yellow relay under the seat goes "buzzzzzzz". I never get any power to lights or anything else. The battery is charged, fluid levels good. The bike is sitting in the garage, and it's about 45-ish degrees in there. I tried bringing the relay inside to warm it up first, but it's like the little relay is bouncing off the contacts and is never "sticking"... hope that makes sense. I even swapped in a brand new relay with the same results.

The fuses in the fuseblock next to the relay are all ok. Are there any others that I should check? (Sorry, I don't have a service manual yet)

R

·
0 Posts
Re: Monster goes "buuuuuzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz&q

There seems to be a problem with some of the boots that the relays sit in conducting electricity....I needed to cut out the base of the boot that holds the relays so that the connectors were clear of any of boot material, I then applied dielectric grease. Buzzing gone..

R

·
0 Posts

Retro seem to know alot about ducati... are you working in ducati?

R

·
0 Posts

the only thing I really know about Ducati's is that they are fun to ride....
;) People like Chris Kelly, etc, know something about Ducati's.

·
Registered
8,800 Posts

Actually, he's a double agent...Ducati only thinks he's working for them. ;D

R

·
0 Posts

Don let me know if that was it......would be curious to know if it is something else....

·
Premium Member
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Re: Monster goes "buuuuuzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz&a

Don let me know if that was it......would be curious to know if it is something else....
Well, I am a little unclear with what you mean by "boot that the relay sits in". Do you mean the rubber ring that holds it? I tried removing the relay from the rubber ring and holding it in my hand while turning the key and it still buzzed. I haven't tried the dielectric grease thing yet. I'll pick some up tomorrow.

Thanks for the advice, Retro. :)

R

·
0 Posts

yes I mean the rubber holder that the relay is nested in, the theory is that it has too much carbon in the rubber....if the relay is still clicking, buzzing outside of the boot....hmmmmmm....maybe the grease will work, it oddly worked for me....if not hopefully someone else has an idea?
The other thing is to check for corrosion....and under the fuses also....bad battery, connection.....I don't know enough about electrical to
offer a trouble shoot....I am assuming that the fuel pump is not kicking in?

·
Premium Member
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

Ahh, ok. Well, let me try it again...

Hmm. Still buzzes. Ok, I'm going out to get the dielectric grease. Will report back later.

I don't know if the fuel pump is working or not. All I get is a buzz, no lights, no buttons work, or any other sounds.

I need a service manual. :'( ???

R

·
0 Posts

okay I am really starting to think it has to be something else.....like a connection somewhere.......is the buzzing constant or intermittant?
If you tried it outside the boot, and with a new relay, something else must be going on.......maybe even in the ignition switch or even in the kill switch..try wiggling the key and listen if anything changes with the sound....switch the kill switch off and on...
Check also the signal relay for buzzing next to the yellow one....I would definitely check connections everywhere from the ignition to the battery to the fuses to the relays.....but it seems like something may be off with the battery or it's connections.....or connections to the fuses....since you have no lights or anything.....someone here must know more about electrical then I do that's for sure......the only other thing is that if it was the relay holder it would drain the battery......since you said the battery was good I assume you verified that.
Oh the fuel pump will cycle and you would hear it when when it whirs up
when you turn the key.....

·
Premium Member
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

Would you believe it was a dead cell short in the battery? I checked the voltage across the terminals and the thing read 10 volts. Replaced the battery and the Monster roars again. ;D Thanks for all your help, Retro!

R

·
0 Posts

Glad to hear you are in business ;D

1 - 13 of 13 Posts