Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I read somewhere that one kind of fork that came on the monster was better than another? I cannot remember which was good and which wasnt. If anyone has any idea of what im talking about let me know. Im looking at a 2001 monster 750 dark. Are there any other diffrences between the dark and non?

·
Premium Member
6,957 Posts
None of the darks got the good forks. (also no seat cowl)
best stock forks- adjustable showa
next best- non-adj. showa
regular forks- non-adj. marzocchi

·
Registered
4,151 Posts
... ACTUALLY, re-valved non-adjustable showas (the OEM forks for a Dark) are better than non-revalved adjustables... usually when they revalve your forks, the shop will "dial in" the fork to your riding style and weight.

your money will most likely be better invested in a revalved set of forks rather than upgrading them later unless you plan on revalving the shocks (no matter what).

when you revalve the front end though, you will want to do the rear at the same time or you will definitely feel like the rear sachs is more like a sucks shock.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Im fairly new to Ducati, is there a way to tell what kind they are? The only thing that i have right now is a picture, can you tell from a picture? are their visible diffrences? If now, will it say what kind they are on the forks?

·
Registered
4,151 Posts
... depends on the year/model.

All Dark models come with non-adjustable Showa forks. (there's a hex-nut at the top of the fork leg on the non-adjustables). Forks that are silver in color but are adjustable on Ducatis are most likely adjustable Showas.

Forks that are gold in color (the sliding part) are most likely Ohlins and are found on the top of the line Ducs. Those gold-colored forks are called Ti-Nitrided forks... that coating is designed to allow the fork to slide more freely.

·
Registered
6 Posts
i have a pair of marzocci adjustable forks on mine what about those are they any good?
Its the ones with 2 baby blue nobs on top of each fork leg!
Its a 1997 900 monster....

·
Premium Member
743 Posts
... ACTUALLY, re-valved non-adjustable showas (the OEM forks for a Dark) are better than non-revalved adjustables... usually when they revalve your forks, the shop will "dial in" the fork to your riding style and weight.

your money will most likely be better invested in a revalved set of forks rather than upgrading them later unless you plan on revalving the shocks (no matter what).
With some qualifications. As stated before, the non-adjustable Marzocchi's are not rebuild-able and a tuning shop can only take limited steps as changing spring rate, oil, put preload spacers etc. But you can take those steps yourself, and they are the most important suspension factors.

While one approach is to send the non-adjustable forks for tuning. It's not uncommon to send them for subsequent tuning sessions until you're happy, as some variables such as compression damping can only be tested in riding. The other approach is upgrading the suspension to a sportbike+ baseline, with correct spring and oil, and take it from there. WRT second approach, just dropping in a pair of adjustables is only a half job done.

The first approach is probably the frugal one, the other is more of a do it yourself.

·
Registered
45,105 Posts
the shop that rebuilt my forks mentioned that all the Monster forks they worked on were less than optimal when they got them initially. You can call them up and they will be able to answer many of your questions...

http://www.aftershocks-suspension.com/
from the factory, the valves are too small for hi speed damping in this country. the adjustments on the showas are only low speed adjustments and the rebound does almost nothing. imho, the non adjustable Showas, once set up, can only be beat by the superbike forks. even the Sachs in the rear are good once revalved and sprung for you. if i keep my bike, my forks and shock will get the treatment this summer.

·
Registered
4,151 Posts
the Sachs isn't worth re-valving unless there's a guy who's willing to do it because it's not designed to be revalved.

the Sachs is pretty difficult to pull apart... Ohlins designs their shocks specifically so they can be re-valved if you decide to do so. The Aftershocks guru (Dennis) said it's not really worth re-doing a Sachs rear shock.

·
Registered
45,105 Posts
the Sachs isn't worth re-valving unless there's a guy who's willing to do it because it's not designed to be revalved.

the Sachs is pretty difficult to pull apart... Ohlins designs their shocks specifically so they can be re-valved if you decide to do so. The Aftershocks guru (Dennis) said it's not really worth re-doing a Sachs rear shock.
the Sachs shock is rebuildable and racetech does make valve kits for them.

·
Premium Member
1,928 Posts
All Dark models come with non-adjustable Showa forks.
Both of the Darks in RMMHA came with non-adjustable `zokes (my `00 and Andrew W's `99, both M750s though), so that's not necessarily true. (In fact, I think consistancy is not one of Ducati's strong points, so assuming that 'all' of any model has or doesn't have some feature is a risky proposition)

I swiped this from Chris Kelley's website:
"Marzocchi forks really suck. Not rebuildable and not revalveable. All you can do to them is change the spring or the fork oil weight and level. No Race Tech goodies for you! Marzocchi fork caps have a very large hex on them, probably 27 or 30mm, while the fork caps on Showa non-adjustable forks is a 14mm hex.

According to the Haynes manual, M750s and M900s after VIN009915 have Marzocchi forks, but I think this isn't 100% correct. Note that many of this site's readers have written in with response saying they've got aluminum swingarms. Kinda like my "Pongo!", a 1997 non-S M900 with an aluminum swinger and Showa forks."

Marzocchi was working on a drop in kit to turn them adjustable, but gave it up because the price point was going to be too high.

--Fillmore

·
Registered
3,755 Posts
le_chef posted that he has adjustable 'zocci's.

I've never heard of that before. Possibly a Europe-only configuration.

Regarding the Sachs-Boge shock, my information is that they can be re-valved and RaceTech sells a kit for them. However, RaceTech does not offer springs. This is odd because for everyone but Daffe, the stock spring is feeble. An Ohlins spring will fit.

Now BCM does not feel the stock valves are bad. They do not recommend the Gold Valve upgrade; just a spring to suit.

Eric at BCM has modified a couple of stock shocks with an external resevoir with compression damping valve and felt he got 80-90% of the performance of an Ohlins DU440.

I decided to just drop the coin on an Ohlins instead. it's on order now.

·
Registered
4,151 Posts
my Suchs shock totally sucked even for me... was like sitting on a slab of concrete when I tried to bounce the rear end... I put an Ohlins on it.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts