Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
W

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
since day 1 i've thought that the ducati monster is hands down the best looking bike sold in america. now is a time when i'm looking to own my first bike, and i'm wondering if a monster is a good choice. i'd be using it to shoot around san diego, beat stupid traffic, park easily, and get good mpg. i have lots of friends that ride and let me borrow their bikes, so i've ridden things from harley's to japanese sportbikes, so i'm thinking a naked is the way to go for me. however, i haven't ridden a ducati. so i'd like to get some opinions on monsters and if owners would recommend one as a first bike. and which model? my range is around $6k, plus or minus, so obviously i'm looking for used. i'm currently riding a ninja 600, so i'm sure an s4 wouldn't scare me. but if a 620 is good enough, then why not? what about reliability? my buddy maintains the ninja, so i don't worry about it too much. basically i'd like to know if monsters are relatively reliable, easy to maintain, well-behaved, fun bikes and if they're worth the money. thanks for any advice.
brenton

·
Registered
668 Posts
Ciao,
Monster is all you need.
It is a great bike, needs some of your attention, and runs well.
S4 anyway runs much better than Ninja 600....

Read this forum upside down and Go test ride !

Skier

H

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You can buy one He!l of a used monster fo 6 beans! I see a fairly new 620 dark in your future.... ;D

·
Registered
571 Posts
;DRe: monster for a first bike?

My 1st bike was a 600 Dark. Wonderful bike..... ;D

You will not be dissapointed 8)

But get a 620/750/800 if you can ;D

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
since day 1 i've thought that the ducati monster is hands down the best looking bike sold in america. now is a time when i'm looking to own my first bike, and i'm wondering if a monster is a good choice. i'd be using it to shoot around san diego, beat stupid traffic, park easily, and get good mpg. i have lots of friends that ride and let me borrow their bikes, so i've ridden things from harley's to japanese sportbikes, so i'm thinking a naked is the way to go for me. however, i haven't ridden a ducati. so i'd like to get some opinions on monsters and if owners would recommend one as a first bike. and which model? my range is around $6k, plus or minus, so obviously i'm looking for used. i'm currently riding a ninja 600, so i'm sure an s4 wouldn't scare me. but if a 620 is good enough, then why not? what about reliability? my buddy maintains the ninja, so i don't worry about it too much. basically i'd like to know if monsters are relatively reliable, easy to maintain, well-behaved, fun bikes and if they're worth the money. thanks for any advice.
brenton
You can get a new 620 dark for under $6000 with the price rollback.... http://www.myersmotorcycles.com/Ducati_Price_rollback.htm
That way you could finance / get 2 years warranty.
I had a 750, just got another one... just a little peppier than the 620 on paper, not sure how it is in true life. Regardless, I have always found that my 64hp monster was able to beat 100+ hp 600 CBR's because:
I could turn better
I was faster off the start
I had torque, so I did not have to shift much, or rev the tits off the bike
I never end up street racing over 70 mph (the rice bikes are better at high-end speeds)

Other bonuses-
Ducatis are sexier
People think you paid more than you did on a ducati
Respect from the harley and ricer people

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
My first (non-dirt) bike, too... I went with the 900. I paid $5200 this spring for a '00 900 dark with 2000 miles on it.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Excellent first bike, just be prepared to spend more on maintenance than you would on a honda. Oh, and once you get hooked on mods, watch out! There's so many cool aftermarket parts for the monsters. I got a 750 for my first ride with no regrets. Like you, I had always lusted after one. It's easy enough to handle for a noob (flat hp/torque curve helps), yet I'm not itching for something new now that my skills and confidence have progressed (ok, so maybe I'd like a Tuono or an S4R parked in the garage... but who wouldn't?)

Go for it!

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I purchased a 99 M900 after I owned an old Kawasaki KZ650 for 6 months. I have not regretted it at all. Plenty of power when I need it.

If you already know what you are doing on a bike then get the Monster and you will love it.

·
Registered
849 Posts
Regardless, I have always found that my 64hp monster was able to beat 100+ hp 600 CBR's because:
... because the wrong people ride CBRs ;)

My R6 was much easier to ride fast, and I didn't have to worry about dragging kickstands and footpegs so much. The S4 is a handful and requires much more work, mostly because of its abrupt part throttle transitions. The first Monster I ever rode was a buddy's crabureted 750 and it was MUCH easier to ride smoothly.

That said, yeah, I think contrary to the current crop of 600cc supersport bikes, Monsters are perfect beginner bikes. Much more forgiving at the speeds you're going to (hopefully) start out at. Except parts are REALLY expensive when you drop it.... and dropping it you will.

Good luck,

-R.

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
A foggy in Venice?!

hey I've never seen you around...

I often go on abbotkinney to grab a coffee

·
Registered
109 Posts
welcome wootang (what a tragic name :-/) monsters make great first bikes. i bought a 2002 m620 for about $6200 new and it was the first bike i had ever ridden. i taught myself to ride on it, never dropped it either.
if you buy it new, you get the 2 mile unlimited mileage warranty so you shouldnt have to wory about fixing things for a while.
you have way more useable power than a cbr. and you get all the respect from them too.
the best part is when you go into class still wearing your gear and the girls ask you what you ride and you get to say "a ducati" ;D
;D

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
...and you even get to sleep with some of them too...yep. ;D

W

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
thanks all for the advisorys. just random crap: when i said +-$6k, i meant that's what i'm gonna spend on motorcycling total. that budget included insurance, minor mods, a new jacket, and helmet. one stipulation of letting me ride his ninja600, my buddy painted fangs on my old simpson full face. it's kinda funny, but the helmet's pretty beat down anyway, time for a new one. also, last night i parked my truck in pacific beach, and some f-er slashed a tire. what's up with that? someone also stole the stickers off my license plate, and my neighbor's car got egged. anyway, didn't mean to dump my life story, but that $6k budget is goin' down a bit because i now need new tires. but whatever, i'll be keeping my eyes open for a monster and hopefully i'll be cruising sd with a big finger up to all car vandals. thanks again
brenton

·
Registered
216 Posts
Damn wootang...that sux...I'm in the same boat as you...I'm looking for a monster as a first bike, and I think I am going to go for it and get a used 750...looking to spend the same...Let me know how things work out with you. I know that I'll be getting mine in March (cuz' it's winter in Jersey and there's no way I'm gonna learn how to ride in the winter). Good luck!

·
Premium Member
115 Posts
I have a monster 600 and before her i had a Piaggio 125 ,so monster is my first bike.I think that she is an excellent choice because she is easy handling,not too fast(thing that can scare you or be dangerous for an unexperienced rider) but with enough power ,too much beauty and afterall... the Ducati brandname on her ! It's a very satisfactory bike ! Buy her! ;)

·
Registered
849 Posts
A foggy in Venice?!

hey I've never seen you around...

I often go on abbotkinney to grab a coffee
I'm at Abbot's Habit all the time, usually for breakfast and usually in the company of my wife and Calvin the Insolent Boxer Pup. Haven't been for about a week, my schedule's been all screwed up lately. The Foggy can be seen parked on Palms every once in a while, or scooting up PCH for a quick canyon run on early weekday afternoons.

-R.

·
Registered
852 Posts
the best part is when you go into class still wearing your gear and the girls ask you what you ride and you get to say "a ducati" ;D
I totally, 100%, unreservedly second that. Works wonder all the time...the only way to beat that is to dress like a pimp...

Anyway. My 620 dark girlie is great, I have been riding her for the past four months (got her in July) and loving every single second of it. It should be powerful enough to be save, not too fast to be scary.

And take a second helmet if you take her clubbing, you WILL need it later...

W

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
i guess another thing to consider is that i'm just a widdle guy. i'm a towering 5'5" at a staggering 130lbs. (135 with wet hair and boots on.) so do you guys think a 620 will be fine for scooting around and maybe getting some ya ya's out? thanks again for the responses.
brenton

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I bought 620ie dark as my first bike about a month ago. I am a little bit bigger than you (6 feet, 220lb) and the bike fits me perfect. Monsters are actually quite easy to handle, so I think you'll be fine. And don't listen to people saying that you will drop it for sure. Not true ! Use your head and everything will be fine.

The Dude

1 - 20 of 24 Posts