Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I had the bike less than a month and I put it right into a ditch.... Luckily I wasnt going very fast at all.

Its a 750 dark, and the tank is dented... Can that be fixed? or must I replace it? HOw much do tanks run for?

Also broke the shifter off, and bent the headlight housing

G

·
That sucks :'( :'( but glad to hear your ok. The tank can be repaired I think there is a guy on the list named norm that has fixed a few tanks. I will try to look for the threads and post it for you. Good luck and sorry to hear you broke it in so quickly.

·
Premium Member
838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks..... It could have been alot worse....

·
Premium Member
642 Posts
I am buying my broken levers from chris at Ca-Cycleworks. HE has some nice cheap ones that are black and should work just fine. I too had a dented dark and am getting the tank fixed. This tank drama has been on going ever since I bought the bike. Actually the tank had a dent in it when I picked it up! Anyways the tank can be painted whatever color you wanted, which is kind of the nice thing about repairing the old tank. The guy fixing mine is using a stud puller which puts studs through the tank and they are welded in there, then use the studs to pull out the dent. Any leftover imperfections are bondo'd and then he paints it. He says he can match the "gunmetal black" as he calls it that the color is. I would check around everywhere for parts. Some parts are actually not that expensive from the dealer, definetely not the tank though. New tank from ducati is 1400 bucks. I bought a new tank from desmobee on the ducati index that he decided he didn't want anymore and sold it to me for 700. I think the best route is to get your old tank fixed. Find some body shops and just take the tank in and show it to them, and ask them for an estimate. My guy is charging me 350 to make it look like new with ducati painted on and everything. One good thing is that at least you can ride around with a dented tank, besides no one can see that its dented if you don't stop moving;).

Good luck and be safe!
-Patrick

·
Registered
45,105 Posts
sorry about your accident, glad you're OK

Norm
tank repair
[email protected]
he doesn't do the final painting, you get it back in prime.
new tank from Ducati is about $1,600 and does come painted
headligt bucket is costly too. you must order the whole headlight. look for a used one.

·
Premium Member
838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
well,

after going over my bike, This is what I found needs to be replaced......

THe headlight itself is fine... I took it all apart, cleaned the dirt and grass out of it... and its all good... The only thing that needs to be replaced is the left side aluminum bracket that holds the light.

The Tank, obviously has a nice dent in it... I'm going to go to some body shops and see if they cant fix it.... I really want it to be the EXACT same color.

The shifter peg is broken, but the rear set is fine, and the transmission shift linkage is fine... just the actual shifter peg... that shouldnt be too bad.....

Handlebar is bent... but thats also not such a big deal....

Other than that everything looks ok.... I'm actually pretty lucky it wasnt much worse.

·
Premium Member
838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
YOu know what was the most annoying part? is that people drove by while I was in a ditch.

Honestly, if you see a biker in a ditch... wont you at least stop to see if he's ok?

G

·
You're lucky to be alive. My brothers friend went into a ditch and it shot him up into the trees and he was done. When you get the bike fixed..BE CAREFUL!

Also, you can get parts at www.azsbk.com I don't know how much of a deal you can get though?

G

·
Sounds like pretty close to what happened to me. Can you let us in on how it happened. We're not judgmental on this board, that's one of the great things about it, it's just good to learn from others mistakes.

Mine was a case of "look where you want to go". I was following my bud, who was on his sportster, into a turn - the sporty coulnd't make the turn - as I watched my bud loose his line and head for the outside . . . I followed him :(

Handlebar: Replaced mine with Renthal ATV bars. The riding position is more upright, which is what I wanted.

Aluminum Headlight Bracket: go to www.BikeBandit.com. They sell OEM parts - the bracket was about $15 I think - I'll probably order one today actually. I put mine in a vise and got it pretty close.

Bent the clutch handle - same fix as the headlight bracket only the little nub broke off the clutch switch that allows the bike to be started with the sidestand down in gear. No big deal really.

Big dent in tank: well it's a dark and I just put a cargo net over it (my bud suggested a lace doiley - jerk) so you can hardly see it! I'll be doing something on that in the near future.

Hope this helps - good luck on the repairs!

jb

·
Premium Member
1,208 Posts
Bummer news! Glad YOU are all right, though; that is what is important... Take care, ride safely, and get back on...

scooby ;D

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
Good to hear that you are doing fine and with a good spirit.
get back on it we all go down, I guess is just a matter of time. ;D

·
Registered
3,130 Posts
that really sucks that people just keep driving by- happened to me when I dumped. I wasnt in a ditch, it was a pretty busy intersection.
Now headlight bracket.. you ever consider switching to dual lights?
Handle bar- why not go with some clip ons? I am thiking about switching my bars to clip ons. I think the bars look kinda gay personally.

G

·
I have dual headlights and clip ons for sale in parts for sale, (plus a nice 2-1 sil motor system). If you are interested.

·
Premium Member
838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well.... to tell you guys the truth, I'm not too sure how it happened.....

It was a left curve, and I didnt feel like I could have taken the turn, so I went upright... slowed down slowly, and made it off the road, onto the grass, and slid down the ditch.

I can only blame my inexperience... as I was not going fast at all.

Those split second times where you need to make a quick decision was what hurt me... I knew I had to do something, but didnt know exactly what to do

Now that I think about it... If I had put on the brakes hard, I would have escaped it..... I will be practicing hard braking when it goes back on the road.

OH! what about a Tank protector? Dont they have some leather covers to "protect" the tank? or in this case, hide a dent?

·
Premium Member
838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Clip ons for a 2002 750. Anyone have any links to where I could get them? are they available for this year Monster? Cause I know the 2002 750's are the strange Duck in the Ducati world..... I might as well upgrade if I'm replacing them.

·
Premium Member
838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

·
Premium Member
838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
just the gear shift lever costs $80!!! WOW! :eek: i'm talking just the lever part with the rubber on it.... Thats insane....

I'd rather spend an extra couple hundred bucks and get a complete billet rear set.....

Oh well... now I have an excuse to do it.

·
Premium Member
4,093 Posts
CETME, have you taken the motorcycle safety course your state provides? They teach you many good things about riding, it is well worth taking it!!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts