Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey,
I'm moving to europe and dont feel like selling my Duc.
I was thinking of taking it there. As anyone done it?. Are they any difference between the American Monster and the Europen one or vise-versa?
THX

·
Registered
8,800 Posts
Might want to consider changing the "subject" to, perhaps, "Moving to <insert country here>, can I take my Monster?"
I think you'll get more feedback.

There may be some big differences between countries as far as how difficult it is to bring it in. Some of our "Continental" folks may be able to guide you if they know where you're going.

G

·
Probably not going to like this but you may have to put that big tailend piece back on (The one that we all remove as soon as we get home!

·
Registered
312 Posts
Hi,

There are no great differences between european and american models just one thing... mph and kmh. But model specs are nearby the same, just look at the ducati.com site and you'll see.

We have other emissions concerning the exhaust pipes... Euro1, Euro2, 3 and so on.

Depending the country you will move in, you will have to pass some technical control once a year or every 2 years.

Which country do you plan to move in?

Cheers

Marc620ieDarkness

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hey, I live in Italy and have the tail chopped on my monster. I got pulled over two weeks a go for a random stop & they didn't say anything about it. So as far as I know its all good. Also all the reflectors are stripped off my bike as well.

·
Premium Member
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thx guys for all your feeds.
Well i'm moving to France...
I've look at the specs and dont see much of a difference between the Europen monster and ours.
They might not like my real loud Termis but that's about it.

·
Banned
551 Posts
Hey MDark - I moved my S4 from the states (direct flight - 1 day) to Ireland and know another person who moved their Dark 600 here (ship - stupid 4 month jobby).

It really depends on how long you are going to be in France as to what you might want to do. Maybe you want to buy a bike in France from a large dealer with a guaranteed minimum buy back amount. That will probably cost you as much as shipping both ways - plus the insurance you are probably going to have is GreenCard insurance which is about 3K a year for comp cover. So if you buy a bike in france - ride it for two years and sell it - you will probably end up spending less money than if you ship your bike both ways plus pay for your greencard insurance. Plus they could end up sticking you for VAT on the bike if you plan on having it there for over a year. I don't know the laws in France but start checking it out. You should be able to call the embassy to get this (and liscensing and insurance) info.

Another option would be selling your baby in the states - buying a US regulation Monster in Europe (probably have to be from Italy) then bring the bike back with you when you leave. If you have it for long enough in Europe, you probably won't have to pay the import duty when you bring it back to the states.

As far as regulations go - I wouldn't worry too much about mods. All standard monsters meet the general requirements (except that Cali Canister) - I mean - how many monster owners do you know that have regulation pipes on their bikes in any country?

As far as the kmh / miles diff - you probably won't have any problems with that - they almost definitely won't make you change your clocks if you are "visiting" vs moving permanently.

If you have any detailed questions - you can post me off line and I can try to answer them. I won't be able to answer anything re: france specifically, but can help you out with some other details.

BTW - you should probably change the title of the post - I only accidentally read it. You will probably get more replies if you do. :)

·
Premium Member
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks you so much Monkey1boy1,
I think you're right. I'm gonna have to sell my baby and get a new one there. It's much easier and less of a pain.
I've heard riding in Irland is great when it doesnt rain.
have fun.
Mdark750

1 - 9 of 9 Posts