Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone ever had their bike detailed?

I'm thinking about doing it, just to get it clean as hell and also because I have been really busy with work and school and can't find time (even on weekends) to clean it thoroughly.

There is a Splash wash in Washington, DC who will do it for $50, is this a reasonable price?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
only thing i'll recommend is to NOT armor-all your tires and to be VERY CAREFUL around electrical connections and what-not if you're using a power washer.

it's also not a bad idea (but not critical) to put little baggies over your muffler tips, airbox openning and crankcase breather if vented.

·
Registered
600 Posts
When you have the time, check out the FAQ page on detailing. You may find some simple things you can do yourself to keep your bike clean.

Personally, I would prefer to detail my bike myself.

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
I get to cleaning my bike every w-en, I take my time doing it. I don't use a power wash, just regular water bucket, windex, simple green, and I usually wax it as well. NO ARMOR OIL ON THE TIES. Unless you want to shine your way down to the pavement. ;D

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I recently over lubed my chain and now have greese on the wheel.

Will WD-40 get this off?

What do you guys use to clean the wheels?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Cheers!

It must be amazing to ride in Ireland!

You ever go cross-country to the West coast?

·
Registered
26 Posts
I recently over lubed my chain and now have greese on the wheel.

Will WD-40 get this off?

What do you guys use to clean the wheels?
By far the best de-greaser I've ever used is Dawn dishwashing liquid. I really like it cuz it's not petroleum-based. Get an old Windex bottle, almost fill it with warm water, add a good shot of Dawn, and hey presto! instant degreaser. Obviously, the more Dawn, the more concentrated, and the more need to rinse. But you'd be surprised at how effective it is. I just had a new chain and rear sprocket put on, and after the hour-long ride home my rear wheel was pretty well loaded with grease. Ten minutes of Dawn treatment and it looks like new.

--Griff

1 - 10 of 10 Posts