Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,093 Posts
invigiator, why do you think it happened?

Lucky there were gaurd rails there!!

·
Registered
4,533 Posts
What was on the road?

mitt

·
Registered
3,755 Posts
What Deb said....

I looked at that three or four times. Road looks clean. Speed was moderate. No sign that he blew a downshift or anything like that.

Did anyone spot an apparent cause?

Just went back frame-by-frame. His line sucked and he was carrying a lot of lean early in the corner. Still, he must have done something to use up more rear wheel traction than he had to work with.

Think he could have grounded out to unweight the rear wheel? Didn't look like that much lean.

·
Registered
600 Posts
Not-too-tight corner, not-too-fast speed. Those are the scary kind of crashes. The unexpected ones.

Glad the rider was OK.

Maybe time to order frame sliders for me.

·
Registered
35 Posts
What Deb said....

I looked at that three or four times. Road looks clean. Speed was moderate. No sign that he blew a downshift or anything like that.

Did anyone spot an apparent cause?

Just went back frame-by-frame. His line sucked and he was carrying a lot of lean early in the corner. Still, he must have done something to use up more rear wheel traction than he had to work with.

Think he could have grounded out to unweight the rear wheel? Didn't look like that much lean.
I'm thinking he locked up rear wheel via brake. Brake light seems to be on just prior to slide out. He could've also been trailbraking into the turn, then let off and stabbed it again. Low speed stuff like this perplexes. I agree that he had way too much (and too early) for a slow corner. Its great to have these as a learning tool.

·
Premium Member
838 Posts
i also saw his brake light come on......... this really helps me out too!!

·
Registered
3,755 Posts
Now we're gettin' somewhere.

Perhaps he apexed early, put a lot of lean down and scared himself. His "survival reaction" (a la Kieth Code) was to tap the rear brake......

he wrote a traction check that his rear tire couldn't cover

·
Registered
3,755 Posts
What a first post from that newbie - and brave! I feel for you though. Good analyzation guys...
Oh yeah. I had no intention of being condescending in my analysis of the incident.

We all have our moments and fortunately most of them don't result in crashes. I spent hours analyzing my first crash (front tire washed out on good pavement) to understand what my mistake was and how I could avoid it in the future. As someone above said, the disturbing ones are the ones we don't understand. If we can understand the causes, we feel confident we can learn from them. Otherwise, we feel at the mercy of fate.

R

·
0 Posts
Sorry to see you slide..looks like you were not hurt, I hope the bike is okay thanks for posting the vid...
Let us know what you think happened and how you and the bike are.....I also noticed long cold looking shadows...

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks for the analysis guys, here's what I know:

-I was trailing the rear brake,
-Shortly before losing it I increased the lean slightly.
-The lean is more than it looks, the camera is looking down onto the road from above.
-I don't recall touching down the pegs or anything.
-Nothing on the road.

It broke away gradually and smoothly. I held on and stayed commited to the bike all the way down because I thought that traction would come back. It didn't. The tyre wear is even all around the circumference. This indicates to me that it did not lock up or break free under power, or hit anything suddenly on the road surface. It also looks like I was leaned over quite far, but not beyond the reasonable limits. The tyre scrapes don't quite go to the edge of the tyre.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Oh! I'm sorry.

Very important thing I forgot to mention: I was compltely fine. I was wearing lots of protective gear (Kevlar jeans, knee pads, proper riding boots). I only suffered a slight bruising of my index finger and self-confidence. The tears in my jeans and jacket cost about $20 to get sewn up, and the confidence is coming back. Luckily the guard rail was there and I hit feet-first so was able to brake my slide with my legs.

As for the bike, they certainly crash well. One mirror snapped off and the front fender was decimated, I picked it up and rode it home. I had a spare mirror and replaced the fender for $80. The rearset, axle bolt, forks, brake lever, brake reservoir, bar ends, etc, etc, were all scratched.

You can see more pic.s and videos from the day here:
http://www.rocknjapan.com/Winter_Hakone_Ride.htm

Earlier that day some guy forgot to put his sidestand up and did a "rear wheel wheelie with a 180 McTwist" into oncoming traffic at speed. His bike was trashed and he was hospitalised. He was very lucky he narrowly missed the car and got away with a broken collarbone and he hurt his leg/knee I think.
I am off right now to get a sidestand safety switch fitted to my bike. :p

·
Registered
796 Posts
Were your tires warmed up? What was the temp? You said you were trail breaking into the turn, on your front or rear brake? I didnt think you looked that bad coming into it and I ride alot of very similar roads. Just want to try and figure out what went wrong.
One other thing, how old are your tires? how many miles?

1 - 20 of 67 Posts