Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

Monster Challenge 2007?

2K views 11 replies 7 participants last post by  M900GP 
#1 ·
Anybody know if Ducati is hosting the Monster Challenge again this year at the CycleWorld Int'l shows? I read about it earlier in the year/summer, yet see nothing about it now, which is very surprising. Was it scheduled and then recently yanked off the program? Updates?

Thanks.

#2 ·
I got a responce from DNA regarding the Monster Challenge.

To: <azbill@possessionstudios.com>
Subject: RE: Monster Challenge...
Date: Mon, 11 Sep 2006 14:14:05 -0700

Hi Bill:

Hope you're doing well. Michael forwarded me your email regarding the Monster Challenge. My apologies for the delayed response. Since I know you are interested in the Challenge this year, I wanted to provide a little
insight.

DNA is reviewing our event and promotional plans for 2007 and a decision regarding a 2006/2007 Monster Challenge is part of this review. We expect to have an answer in Fall 2006. It has been determined that if the Monster Challenge will take place in 2006/2007, it will not take place at Cycle World Intentional Motorcycle Shows - a different venue will be chosen. As soon as a determination about the Monster Challenge is made, we will announce it publicly.

Thanks again for your interest and let me know if you have any additional questions!

Sarah

Sarah Bogosian
Ducati North America
Marketing Manager
sbogosian@ducatiusa.com

#4 ·
Speed TV covered the '06 Challenge on Superbikes last night...

...And it was most cool. If you missed it, keep an eye out for reruns ~~ it's in the episode where the newb gets track time / instruction, while the stunter guy with more Icon gear than the West Coast distributor canyon carves with a Cali sportbike club.

#5 ·
I spoke with Gary Eagan a few months ago. For those of you who don't know him, he ran the challenge the past few years. He told me if he had to guess there is about a 2% chance of the Challenge happening again this year.

There were several reasons he cited for it not being held.
1. It's very expensive. Which is probably the reason if they do have it again they won't do it at the IMS.
2. They had a hard time getting participants. I guess they allowed some bikes that really didn't have a ton of extras to fill up the booth to justify having it.

The funny thing is that I bought my Monster because of the 2005 Monster Challenge. So the reason they have it actually worked on me.

IMO I think it was one of the coolest booths at the IMS. I may just be biased because I had my bike in the challenge but it was very cool. It was a ton of fun hanging out talking to people about the bike. There was nothing like the feeling that I got when someone would come up and take a picture of my bike. It was a rush.

Of course, the best thing was getting the chance to meet all the other competitiors, and hearing all about their bikes and why they did this mod or that mod. The friends I made there will last a lifetime.

#6 ·
Interesting! Thanks Monstermash. When I spoke with Gary Eagan here in Seattle he was pretty sure it WOULD happen again, but that was as the 2005-2006 IMS was just underway. I wonder why DNA deems it so expensive? That must be from the Cycleworld side, because it couldn't be from the Ducati marketing side. Heck, I've owned a Monster for 4 years, have attended each IMS, yet NEVER even heard about the MC until walking up to it at last year's show! Totally missed it the year before! How, I dont' know. So, not too much going on by Duc to make it a widely publicized event. The participation struggle you mentioned is a direct reflection on how it was (or wasn't marketed) too. Scrambling at the end to let barely-modified bikes in doesn't suggest too many people knew about it throughout the year. So, for DNA to say it's expensive must mean that CW charges a lot for a booth(?). Odd.

Just like you, I thought it was the best part/draw to the IMS. Hands down. EVERYBODY attending loved it.

I didn't buy a Monster because of the MC, BUT after last year's show I started planning out a lot of mods that I've been doing to my bike throughout this year, anticipating this year's MC. Lucky it hit you last year! Looks like I'm a year late - too bad.

Here's to that 2% chance! ;)

Thanks.

#7 ·
M900Mono said:
The participation struggle you mentioned is a direct reflection on how it was (or wasn't marketed) too. Scrambling at the end to let barely-modified bikes in doesn't suggest too many people knew about it throughout the year.
people knew about it, but the entry form website was ****ed up and DNA never got the entries. If I remember correctly the link the entry was supposed to go to was an old one. People ended up emailing Gary personally to get in.

M900Mono said:
So, for DNA to say it's expensive must mean that CW charges a lot for a booth(?). Odd.
Its not odd, here in NYC a powdercoater I used told me he ended up paying almost $10,000 for a tiny booth for the weekend. Between the spaces at the shows at every city, and the logistics of moving everything, and setting up and tearing down I can imagine that its a hefty sum.

#9 ·
Thanks Industrial Grrrl - Yeah I don't doubt that it's really expensive to do all of that, especially for a bigger space. I guess more of my point was on what Ducati considers in terms of the "worth" of the event. They would have known going in, both years, how much the booth spaces were, logistics costs, etc. So their cost side is easy to peg. Apparenlty they didn't sell enough bikes because of it though - but they sure did generate a lot of buzz around mods and community. That's had a great ripple effect on a lot of people, which is cool.

Maybe they have a category for mods to current model year bikes, and sweeten the pot a bit for winners in that category. And still offer a class for bikes that aren't brand new. Would seem to provide a good mix.

Who knows. I just want to see it continue!! [thumbsup]

#10 ·
Some thoughts:

On average, first year's bikes were really good (and controversial, here on the DML). DuckStew set the bar really high and was a tough act to follow.

On average, last year appeared to be a level below year one...handwriting's on the wall.

Might be better (i.e., more interesting, competitive and beneficial to DNA marketing) if held less frequently so more of the contestants would show up with S*R bikes instead of modified 10-year old Monsters.

DNA can't do the final at an AMA event next year (without looking stupid).

#12 ·
Hey Stuart,

Nothing positive. :mad: No replies from DNA. The only thing I've heard is that IF the MC happens it WON'T be at the Cycleworld IMS locations. Not sure what that leaves, but...

Glad we held off on that custom exhaust when we did...wouldn't have totally been for not, but certainly would have added some time pressure that actually wouldn't have been real after all!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.