Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 78 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am trying to locate a part to finish my bike. It is a carbon fiber "abbreviated tail", Ducati Part No. 969490002B. Seems like no shop in the US has one, and they are back ordered for no one knows how long. I tried all the shops in So California, Moto Wheels, Motostrano, Cycleworks and Spareshack...and no, I don't want to do a complete hack job and have no tail, I'm looking to use just the abbreviated tail and new turn indicators. If anyone has one they want to sell, or knows where one can be had, would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
Don't forget to check on eBay. These pop up now and again there.

Oh, and Welcome to the board. Glad to have another member!!

-dj

·
Registered
8 Posts
I just installed one of those tails on my S4R. Looks sweet. It was on backorder but took only two weeks to arrive. I bought mine through Honda Peninsula Ducati in Sunnyvale, CA. Dan in the parts department is a great guy. I'm still waiting for the round turn indicators. Those have been on order for 3 weeks now. I just saw the carbon fiber round indicators in the S4/S4R catalog and now I'm thinking of changing my order. I also thought about getting the brushed aluminum color instead of black; still deciding on that one. The only thing about the short tail is the weird routing for the license plate light. The cable kind of hangs down underneath and then attaches to the light housing. I'm going to drill a separate hole to route the cable through the top. Also, I guess we're supposed to use the stock license plate holder in addition to the tail kit because it doesn't look like the holes on the kit match the hole placement on a license plate. I don't have my plates yet because I just bought my bike.

·
Premium Member
1,488 Posts
Anybody have any pics of this? I'm curious what it looks like installed on the bike...

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Bloodshot: If you have the new S4/S4R catalog (not last years s4 catalog), there are several pix of a blue S4R with the piece installed.

·
Premium Member
1,488 Posts
I still can't find a pic, is there a copy of that catalogue online somewhere?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Actually MRG2K the one you have above is a copy of the stock tail in carbon. Very nice piece. The one I was looking for (and how found and ordered from Spareshack) is carbon, but is shorter and is called the "abbreviated tail". The only place I have seen a pic of it is in the new S4/S4R catalog. I have not seen a pic online anywhere. When I get it and install it I will post a pic. I am also installing Ducati black billet turning signals.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
My Dealer in Scranton Pa has a few of these in stock. He has a bunch of Monster stuff in stock. I think he does this to tease me.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I took the picture from the DP PDF I downloaded. It costs around $170 I believe. I priced it with the ovals for the S4R. $1800 for the ovals. I reall like them, but thats a bit much for slip ons. I want a full system. And for that much I can get a full system and PCIII.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
OK. Ordered and received the abbreviated carbon tail from Spareshack in London. Great service, and Stuart was very helpful. Installation was quite straightforward, except the electrical connectors they give you to crimp on to the wires are cheesy. Get new .156 conncetors that slip into the sockets of the wiring harness. You will need 4. Rest is just unscrew old stuff and bolt on new stuff. Wiring goes in the space between the two bars hanging off the frome which support the tail. The wiring is sandwiched between the carbon piece which rest on top of the bars and which bolts to two metal pieces on the other side of the bars. One covers the entire bottom of the carbon piece and on to which the taillight mounts on one side, and the license place light on the other. The other pice is the license plate holder, on to which is bolted the stock black license plate holder. I will take pix and post them once I figure out how the hell to post them on this site. Nice piece, and a great alterntive to stock tails and bobbed jobs....

G

·
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
If posting the Re: Monster Abbreviated Carbon Tail

If posting is a problem, send me the image and I will post it for you here. I would like to see the shots either way.

·
Registered
287 Posts
How much was it? This sounds good to me, not sure if I want to chop the tail. I ride my bike to work and may get caught in rain, or just wet streets and don't want muddy rooster tail up my back all day at work...

G

·
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Race Day: I will take some pix and perhaps E-mail them to you, thanks. 02S4: Tail piece package was $201 (avoided a 17% VAT (value added tax) by not being a UK resident!)...I also orded Ducati billet turning indicators which were another $300 or so...This piece would not look right if you used the stock indicators....I was surprised ship time was only 1 wk from the UK.

1 - 20 of 78 Posts