Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have it in matte black but would like to change to a non-matte color - not sure what yet. I liked the gray that I saw in an ad, and like the Star White Silk as well.

Does anyone know where to buy such a kit? I can find nothing on eBay or in any of my searches so far.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
All those colors are painted...if you want factory colors try ColorRite...the 796 models had plastic covers you could swap...not so lucky with the 821

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
Looks like you are right, thanks. Where the 696 had pieces that I could swap in, the 821 tank is one large unit. ColorRite looks okay but they don't have the gray/silver I'm looking for, only red and Star White Silk.

Maybe I can find a shop to do it here in the Bay Area, as this is looking daunting.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Looks like you are right, thanks. Where the 696 had pieces that I could swap in, the 821 tank is one large unit. ColorRite looks okay but they don't have the gray/silver I'm looking for, only red and Star White Silk.

Maybe I can find a shop to do it here in the Bay Area, as this is looking daunting.
Factory colors are kept under lock and key...I wanna say Lechler is the European supplier... absolutely use factory colors for red or it will inherently look off ..I always see custom jobs with an off red as being cheap...I don't care how much time they spent...they fumbled with using a different red...or maybe they really are Honda aficionados...it's the bikes identity...outside of the red; it's fair game...shows creativity...extends the narrative...looking forward to repainting my own...

·
Registered
26 Posts

Try to stay with a stock color, otherwise people will assume it was repainted because you threw it down the road, not because you just wanted a different look.

·
Registered
875 Posts
Factory colors are kept under lock and key...I wanna say Lechler is the European supplier... absolutely use factory colors for red or it will inherently look off ..I always see custom jobs with an off red as being cheap...I don't care how much time they spent...they fumbled with using a different red...or maybe they really are Honda aficionados...it's the bikes identity...outside of the red; it's fair game...shows creativity...extends the narrative...looking forward to repainting my own...

Οr, he could go to a shop, use a Spectrometer and the color will be 99.9% right :wink

@ Original poster : Sorry but...what "kit" are you talking about ? Didn't you notice that the tank is 1-piece ? I mean, sure, you could get an OEM seatcowl and front fender from Ducati but the tank...:grin

·
Registered
875 Posts
Try to stay with a stock color, otherwise people will assume it was repainted because you threw it down the road, not because you just wanted a different look.
Problem is, he's got the dark version which has a black trellis, the red and silk white ones have a red trellis so it will be a color combo mismatch either way - unless he has a a 2018 model which he could paint it yellow as it's the only one with a (also) black frame

·
Registered
329 Posts
How about a vinyl wrap? That way you retain/protect the original stock Italian color scheme for the next owner w/o hurting the value of the bike. I've had a set wrapped for years and they still look great, no problems with spilled fuel, etc.

·
Registered
74 Posts
How about a vinyl wrap? That way you retain/protect the original stock Italian color scheme for the next owner w/o hurting the value of the bike. I've had a set wrapped for years and they still look great, no problems with spilled fuel, etc.
Would love to see what the wrap looks like with a pic or 2?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Got bumped by a cager and dropped my bike, left side of the tank was dent, got his insurance covered for new one but I decided to get it fix and repaint ($1000 for dent fixed and repaint at a local shop compared to replacing a brand new OEM tank for $2000 ).
Always loved the 1200R shiny black so I decided to have it painted in gloss black, also some other goodies

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
329 Posts
My bike is a M796, so there are R&L "tank" panels wrapped individually as well as the flyscreen and seat cowl. Probably a little harder to wrap the one piece tanks like on the 821, but maybe not for a pro. I've done a few smaller bits in 3M carbon look vinyl after watching youtube, and it's not as easy as it looks!

Here's a pic of a cool wrap I'd like to have done someday- they did it in two colors of silver/black chrome, w/red pinstripes to conceal the seams.

Attachments

·
Registered
63 Posts
Black and red frame is no go on my opinion. With black frame and full black out is cool.....! White and red frame matches much better

·
Registered
875 Posts
Black and red frame is no go on my opinion. With black frame and full black out is cool.....! White and red frame matches much better
That opinion is wrong :grin

Black on red from a graphic design point of view is one of the most dominant duo-tones, it's sporty and very dynamic something which suits the monster , also, monster 695, monster 796, Diavel Carbon Red and Diavel 1260 S would also like to have a word ;)

OP, stellar looking bike dude, my only "objection" is the red hoses (as it gets too "busy") and the red oil cooler shroud.

Another amazing looking duo-tone is the white on red (S4RS/M796) one, there's a dude that did that on his M1200S (alongside white wheels), you can find pictures on google of it ;)

·
Registered
24 Posts
Just did some vinyl wrap to completed the black look, headlight bracket, oil cooler panel and the windscreen (still need to plastic dip the clear part)

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 20 Posts