Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm in the process of shopping for a new bike. I sold my trusty '93 Yamaha Seca II 1 1/2 years ago to my ensuing sorrow. Anyway I'm now looking for something with reasonably comfortable ergos (this'll be a commuter as well as weekend warrior) but a bit more power than my last steed. The Monster 800 and 1000 both seem like they might fit the bill.

I've looked at Kawa Z1000 and Yamaha FZ1, but nothing has the mystique of a Duc. I don't want to fool myself into buying something that's not appropriate for what I need, though. I live 150 miles from the nearest dealer, so much of the maintenance will be done by yours truely.

So how's the reliability? The power? The handling? The ergos? How would you say that the two compare to one another? etc etc etc...

tia

<dave/>

·
Registered
461 Posts
Let's see. The Kawa and Yam will both outrun the Monsters you're talking about - maybe the 4-valve ones too. And they're both made by zaibatsu, corporate conglomerates that seldom get the engineering too wrong. And parts are relatively cheaper. And I understand the Kawa is deeply discounted some places.

But the Ducati has something both of those lack:

*STYLE*

Or maybe just good taste.

-Don

·
Registered
400 Posts
The Ducati also has something else that those others lack:

SOUL!

As to ergonomics. I'm 6'2" and weigh 210lbs. The stock position of the rearsets is perfect for me. The stock handlebars were a little too upright so I switched to clip-ons. Now the ergonomics are perfect for me.

As to reliability. My Monster has just over 19k and runs like a top and has never failed to fire. But I've only had it 2 months (I bought it used) so time will tell. So far I believe it to be a very reliable machine.

H

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No problems to report, here. Modification wish-list will drain the bank account rather quickly, though. ;D

·
Registered
82 Posts
Hands down I feel that this is by far the best bike I have ever owned and I have had 20+. It combines everything...all the power you really need, reliability (for me), handling, balance, and OH MAN it really draws a crowd. Unless you are at a ducati rally, at least 90% of the time yours will be one of the very few ducs when you are just ridin' around.

Isnt really all about being well rounded but also being unique? Go ahead make your purchase. You wont be disappointed.

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You'll have to forgive me, but I gotta be sure (this isn't chump change). I've heard plenty of stories that Ducatis need "more maintenance than usual." Now i'm not too terribly concerned with the principle of that since we all make our choices, but I gotta tell you that I'm mildly concerned that the "more maintenance" might translate into the need to buy a trailer just to haul the bike 150 miles to an authorized mechanic.

What's everybody's experience having a jap bike mechanic (or harley mechanic) working on your duc? Any especially good/bad experiences? How does the warranty translate to other dealers' mechanics, etc etc etc...

Thanks for the feedback, folks, I'm just about sold on this puppy!

·
Registered
461 Posts
The Monster 800 is a relatively simple motorcycle. With a manual any decent motorcycle mechanic with the few necessary special tools can work on it. I don't know what's necessary to work on the FI, but it's pretty much hand tools for everything else.

Truth is I don't trust dealer mechanics to work on anything of mine, and would expect a non-Duc dealer to jack up the prices if they will even touch it. They might refuse, as they don't have the manuals (which doesn't seem to stop the Duc dealers).

You can be sure a non-Duc dealer won't honor warranty, and I don't know how getting reimbursed would work.

Frankly, if reliability and shop availability are the top requirements, H0nda would be a better choice.

-Don

1 - 7 of 7 Posts