Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
V

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking to pick up a new Ducati this weekend, and I'm trying to decide between a Monster 800 and a SuperSport 800. I've done MSF, and I've ridden a couple of 250s for a few years - time to get something bigger.

The two bikes seem to be identical except for fairing/riding position. Anyone here have experience on the SS800 and can give feedback on the two?

Thanks!

John

W

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Are you thinking the 1/2 faring? I dig that bike.

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My friend got a ss750 and i tryed his i did not like the position on it, so i got a monster, like you said they are pretty similar except the position and the fairing,what i'm saying it's your choice what's you are comfortable with. ;)

V

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Nope - full. I don't think they offer the half anymore. I never liked partial fairings anyway.

I'm wrestling with this 'cause I can only have one bike :). I like the upright position of my nighthawk for cruising around, but I really liked the lay-down style of my friend's CBR600 around the twisties (he let me ride it once). Of course, it's got to be a Ducati, so... which one? Already got financing taken care of, insurance is exactly the same, now I just have to decide which one to get when I go to the dealer this Saturday! (1.5 hr drive to only dealer in area).

·
Registered
366 Posts
The Monster may be a good compromise in position. It's not nearly as upright as the Nighthawk. Besides, you can always add clipons. The riding position on the SS is pretty uncompromising.

Nope - full.

·
Premium Member
752 Posts
I can chime in as I just picked up a 2000 SS900 and also own a M750. Not like the 800s but similar. It is 2 different rides in my opinion. If I could only have one bike, it would be the monster. The monster is a better all around bike, for city, commuting and twisty types of riding. It definitely takes some getting used to regarding the SS riding position coming from a monster. With the monster it seems more flickable, meaning I can just think about turning and the response is instant. The SS takes a little more work in that realm, but really feels planted in the turns, whereas the monster sometimes feels a little sketchy (hopefully this will be worked out by the suspension work i'm getting done) Slow speed manuvers with the SS definitely take some getting used to, as it has more steering lock than my monster. Almost made me dump it in my garage, oops. The SS fairings are great for higher speeds and I don't get buffeted aroud by the wind as much as on the monster, but cross winds on a fully faired bike almost scared the crap out of me the first time I went over the bay bridge on a windy day, can you say counter-steer. Your best bet is to ride both back to back and see which one you get a better feel for. Both are great bikes, enjoy!

·
Registered
4,928 Posts
I toyed with the idea of an 800 SS... >

for a couple of hours a couple of weeks ago. I have a deposit on a M620, test rode the M800 and was lured by the great price on the 800SS. I still can't believe it's like $600 less than the 800 Monster. Definetly the best value Ducati sells.
In the end, I just couldn't see that riding position on a full time basis. In the end, all the reasons I decided on an 04 620 prevailed.

V

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hm... Decisions! Guess I need both :)

I really want a bike with very stable, confidence-inspiring handling. My Nighthawk is so flickable that it feels unstable. I imagine the Monster is much better - but is the SS a lot better than the Monster? I know the M will be much more fun around town...

I wish I could test ride both. The only demo bike the dealer has is a Multistrata.

Thanks for the info TAFMONSTER. Between the two I'm drawn to the SS but think that the M is the sensible choice. I'll let you guys know how it comes out this weekend!

Steve C - Why'd you decide on a 620 over the SS and M800? Price alone? Only thing that worries me about the 620 is outgrowing it. I can't afford to get a brand new bike every year - I've got to stick with this one for at least 2!

·
Registered
668 Posts
Ciao Conte !

I went to get my 999 a year ago.
I saw new M1000S.
Then I asked the store owner/seller why not recommend a SS1000 ?
He shook his head, and said Monster. This was the time I did not speak very fluently yet Italian, and I live in Italy...

Anyway, I took Monster for a ride, and now I have done over 13000miles on it. SS I never looked back. Great looking bike and cheaper to with all that fairing, but.....

Monster had a place in my heart.

Skier

ps. ofcourse owner/seller got 500$ more cause I took Monster, but since then he has given me double that discounts and free rides, and a happy spirits....

V

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ok, one more question for the guys that have had Supersports... How long can you ride on it? Oh, and are there a couple of easy fixes to make it more comfortable? For the price difference I can pick up a Corbin and a set of Converti-bars.

I'd like to have something I can ride for a few hours at a time - I think the fairing on the SS would be nice, but imagine that the riding position may just be too much. I'm 5'10" and 165 lbs BTW.

Thanks again!

·
Premium Member
752 Posts
The SS almost feels like a sport-touring bike compared to my Monster.

--Fillmore
Question, did you do anything to the clip-ons, like add risers? I can't see how I would be able to tour on mine :-/

·
Registered
3,755 Posts
Careful.

I'm pretty sure Fillmore has an older style SS. Those are reputed to be good sport tourers. Conversely, the new ones actually have a MORE extreme position than the XX9 bikes!

So the 800SS in question may be a torture rack for long rides while an old 900SS could be a dream.

I haven't ridden either; just pointing out that we're not talking about the same thing here (I don't think).

·
Premium Member
6,957 Posts
confirmed.
he was talking about an older SS.
big difference between the riding position of the older/newer ones.
on the newer ones, i think you would definately need some heli-bars or something to raise the bar position in order to tour.

BTW, when i delivered it to him, i rode from Fresno to Vegas on it. worked great.

V

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Have you guys seen Converti-bars? More adjustable and a lot less expensive than the Cyclecat offerings. Check it out at www.convertibars.com. I'm thinking I could get those and a seat with the SS and still be under the Monster's price.

So, if I got adjustable clipons the SS would make a good sport-tourer? If so, maybe I'll go for that. The only thing I'd miss from the Monster is better in-town riding.

Hm... Well, looks like this Saturday will be rained out, so I won't be going until next week. More time to agonize over the decision! :)

·
Registered
48 Posts
The SS will not be comfortable for very long rides, for this you should look at an ST. The SS position is very sporty, comparable to Japanese 600s. The advantage of the Super Sports is the racing positioning with the excellent handling and predictability of a Ducati 2 valve, fairing offer good protection too. I agree the steering lock can be bad, but I think this is true on all Ducs.

I agree with the other posters, you need to test ride them both. Can't go wrong either way.

·
Registered
294 Posts
I have a Monster S4 and a 93 750SS love the monster the SS is lighter but I like riding position on the monster. Also the 750 is about to be taken apart and pieced out on Ebay.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts