Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am a very proud owner of a 2000 monster 600. Its my first duc, and I love it. My problem is that its getting time for me to move on to something different. ie a little more power. I am very happy with my monster, and have looked pretty seriously at just getting a bigger model, but I can't take my eye off the 800 SS. My concern is that the 800 ss will be uncomfortable. I have never owned a model that is more racing style. I have always ridden upright riding style bikes. I like to ride the turns, but I also like to cruise. Any help in making a decison.

·
Premium Member
6,906 Posts
You definitely want to get a test ride if you can. They were giving test rides at the Marin dealer of a bunch of ducs, and while I didn't ride the SS 800, one guy I talked to did. He said he thought he was too old for the bike - found the riding position to be agony. (He came in on an SV650S, so that was his point of reference.)

On the other hand, lots of folks put clipons and rearsets on their monsters, so there is the alternate point of view. It is all very personal, so I'd try as many options as I could before deciding.

·
Registered
4,151 Posts
I've ridden a 1999? 900SS through some twisties (Bitterwater Rd over near King City) - I ride an M750 Dark 2000.

The 900SS (the boxy-looking design, not the Terblanche-design) was a lot lower on the bars... as far as power goes, there was a noticable difference on the straights - on the twisties, noticed that the SS handled a little like a pig (had to "urge" it through the turns more but once it started leaning, it followed pretty well) compared to the Monster. It was a bit more difficult to stay comfy in the saddle on the SS when I wanted to relax as well. Might be biased though because I had done about 2 - 3 hrs of riding on the monster prior to riding the SS for about 5 miles of twisties (25 - 45 mph turns) mixed in with some straights where I got up to about 90.

If you feel that you need a more aggressive ride position, I'd say go for the SS. I've had my share of riding a Gixxer for a few years and could only ride it for about 1 hr before my back started hurting. My main ride will always be a Monster but in the future if I have the need for another bike(s), they'd probably be an SS and a Moto Guzzi.

Not sure how much different the pre 2000 SS is compared to the 2001+ SS.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts