Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone give me a detailed comparison of a Monster 796 to a BMW F800S?

I'm currently on a 2007 F800S, really like the bike, no major problems in almost 20K miles. I commute to work about 100 miles per day, mostly interstate at 70-75, wtih some city riding. F800 gets me about 48 to 50 mpg. I rarely take extra long trips---just day or weekend trips.

I have a strong preference for naked or semi-naked bikes, low weight, good handling, etc.

But...I really like the looks of the new 796. Seems like it would be even lighter, handle better, more punchy engine response. And it at least seemed to have a more comfortable seating position for me than the S. Suspension is a lot firmer on the Ducati.

I think I'm handy enough with engines to do my own valve and belt maintenance on a Ducati, but am less sure if I would be happy putting up with replacing a chain every 10K miles (?), or dealing with a 796 if it is finicky. I definitely want the bike to last for 50K to 100K if I like it.

Any comments? I plan to test ride a 796 in a couple of weeks.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Check your local Dealers operating practices first!

I'm currently on a 2007 F800S, really like the bike, no major problems in almost 20K miles. I commute to work about 100 miles per day, mostly interstate at 70-75, wtih some city riding. F800 gets me about 48 to 50 mpg. I rarely take extra long trips---just day or weekend trips.

I have a strong preference for naked or semi-naked bikes, low weight, good handling, etc.

But...I really like the looks of the new 796. Seems like it would be even lighter, handle better, more punchy engine response. And it at least seemed to have a more comfortable seating position for me than the S. Suspension is a lot firmer on the Ducati.

I think I'm handy enough with engines to do my own valve and belt maintenance on a Ducati, but am less sure if I would be happy putting up with replacing a chain every 10K miles (?), or dealing with a 796 if it is finicky. I definitely want the bike to last for 50K to 100K if I like it.

My thoughts would be semi-relevant as I have a 696. I find that Interstate travel gets very old and fatiguing very fast. Mine is happier on the state highways, but the Duc engine makes all the right musical noises.:)

Check your local dealer for parts availability. Some are better than others at keeping routine parts in stock. My local dealer, though otherwise decent,
runs way too lean on inventory.

I found a routine part at a NH dealer on the way home from vacation. I had been waiting over a month for it locally!

For some strange reason Duc maintains NO USA parts supply like BMW, so it's all up to your dealer to maintain one. Check this out with your dealer.

For me, the BMW dealers are around 40 miles away, as opposed to 12 for the Duc dealer. I wish dealers would understand that the worst of the recession is over, and it should be safe to ramp up inventory a bit. If they survived the last 2 years, the rest will be a piece of cake!

·
Premium Member
503 Posts
796 has only been available for a few weeks. You're not going to find anyone with tons of first hand experience with them, especially pertaining to maintenance.

·
Super Moderator
3,955 Posts
... But...I really like the looks of the new 796. Seems like it would be even lighter, handle better, more punchy engine response. And it at least seemed to have a more comfortable seating position for me than the S. Suspension is a lot firmer on the Ducati.

The test ride will be the key.

Yes, you can expect that the Duc will be lighter, handle better, have more punchy engine response, and be more sporting in character. You will have to maintain the chain, which is a minus compared to your BMW's belt, but if you do the lube and adjustments, a chain and sprocket set should last 15-20K.

The 796 is a new development of the engine, so there isn't much direct data on longevity, but the basic design is well developed and all of the other versions of the 2V air/oil cooled design have been durable and relaible. I've personally seen several bikes with this engine go well over 100K, and mine is pushing 200K. For more recent versions, I have a friend with a 2006 Monster 620, and she's over 40K miles on it without problems so far.

So test it and see how it fits you physically. Be sure to get out on the highway for a bit, since that's where you will be using it a fair amount, and see how the wind hits you on it. This part really can't be answered by anyone else; you have to see how it works for your physique. I find my own Monster to be comfortable for 500 miles in a day easily, and I have done 900 in a day and didn't feel too bad. Most people might have a different experience than that.

PhilB

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Isn't the 796 just a stroked 696 with a lighter flywheel? I know that they are using a different method to cast the engine case, but there really isn't a huge difference, is there?

I also get the impression from all the reading that I've done that the newer bikes aren't nearly as "finicky" as the older ones were when new.

·
Registered
173 Posts
I would have to agree. BMW drivers are well heeled and like nice things. Ducati drivers also like nice things but have a nervous twitch in the corner of one eye.

·
Super Moderator
3,955 Posts
I would have to agree. BMW drivers are well heeled and like nice things. Ducati drivers also like nice things but have a nervous twitch in the corner of one eye.
Nuh uh! I could quit and switch to Honda any time I want to! I just don't want to. <twitch> Now where are my keys? <twitch> ...

PhilB

·
Registered
91 Posts
They have just written a detailed comparison of both bikes in the UK Fast BIkes magazine,hear goes:

BMW F800 R : 8/10

Ducati 796 : 8/10

The BMW has a stronger engine and is better at motorway riding, the Ducati is more flickable and fun on B roads.The Ducati has harder more sports biased setup, BMW is softer and takes bumps better. BMW looks a bit weird, Monster looks exotic.

BMW 0-60 3.94
Duc 0-60 3.74

All in all is seems the bikes are both good just depends on your riding style

·
Registered
81 Posts
The current issue of "Bike" magazine has a comparo of 4 800cc nakeds. The BMW F800 (was it an S?) came in first, the Monster 796 was third. The writeup was fairly revealing; they considered the Monster a poor bike for around-town use, the BMW did everything well and made the most power.

Bike is published in the UK, you can find it in the USA at big-box bookstores. It's my favorite moto mag.

Cheers, Tom

·
Registered
117 Posts
I've ridden a BMW F650 and if you want a fun bike, that handles very well then get the Monster.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I had a F650GS when I lived in London. Great bike, good on the motorway, great around town, reliable. But, I nearly fell asleep riding the thing it was so boring.

I'm sure the BMW is better in most ways than a Monster.... but then so is a Volvo, by most objective measures.

In all seriousness, if I were living in the UK again and riding a bike daily for practical purposes in traffic, and not just as a toy I wouldn't get a Monster. But that's not why I ride now. The Brits tend to be more practical about their bikes, so YMMV depeding on what you want your bike for.

·
Super Moderator
3,955 Posts
I have found my Monster to be an extremely practical bike for all purposes (except carrying a passenger long distances).

PhilB

·
Registered
41 Posts
Isn't the 796 just a stroked 696 with a lighter flywheel? I know that they are using a different method to cast the engine case, but there really isn't a huge difference, is there?

I also get the impression from all the reading that I've done that the newer bikes aren't nearly as "finicky" as the older ones were when new.
the 796 engine comes from a Hypermotard, its not the same a the 696

·
Registered
81 Posts
I'm not contradicting anyone, and I love Ducatis and BMWs both.

But, just to be clear, the OP asked about the F800S (rated at 85HP), not the F650 (71HP) that a number of people have chimed in with.

As for "heavy", the F800S does weigh 401 lbs, which is relatively porky for the class, compared to 373lb for the svelte M796ABS (apples to apples).

Cheers, Tom

·
Registered
53 Posts
They have just written a detailed comparison of both bikes in the UK Fast BIkes magazine,hear goes:

BMW F800 R : 8/10

Ducati 796 : 8/10

The BMW has a stronger engine and is better at motorway riding, the Ducati is more flickable and fun on B roads.The Ducati has harder more sports biased setup, BMW is softer and takes bumps better. BMW looks a bit weird, Monster looks exotic.

BMW 0-60 3.94
Duc 0-60 3.74

All in all is seems the bikes are both good just depends on your riding style

That's nonsense, I've ridden both bikes and the F800R doesn't feel quite as fast or strong as the 796. I'd even go so far as to say the engine feels weak, it's like you up the revs, things start moving around in that Rotax engine and then finally the whole thing starts moving. Additionally, you can't ride the F800R as hard as the 796, it's extremely nervous through most corners at speed. Personally I thought the 796 is a way better bike. Wind protection is way better on the 796 as well.

/edit: One last (and significant) problem with the BMW, it starts to vibrate quite heavily at 120km/h (6th gear). The one place where you don't need that.

·
Registered
91 Posts
That's nonsense, I've ridden both bikes and the F800R doesn't feel quite as fast or strong as the 796. I'd even go so far as to say the engine feels weak, it's like you up the revs, things start moving around in that Rotax engine and then finally the whole thing starts moving. Additionally, you can't ride the F800R as hard as the 796, it's extremely nervous through most corners at speed. Personally I thought the 796 is a way better bike. Wind protection is way better on the 796 as well.

/edit: One last (and significant) problem with the BMW, it starts to vibrate quite heavily at 120km/h (6th gear). The one place where you don't need that.
Sorry, I may not have made myself clear, that is what bike magazine thinks, not me. I think the Monster in all it's guises beats the other nakeds, it's the only bike i will ride.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts