Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone, looking for tuning options for my 2014 Monster 796. I'm planning a slip on exhaust, flapper delete, and modifying the airbox which mean I need to tune the ECU. I spoke to my local shop and they can no longer do tuning for street bikes because of CARB laws (California). They suggested the Termignoni Upmap but from my research that is only available for newer bikes, not the 796.

Any help?

·
Registered
Monster 796 ABS
195 Posts
I am about half way through the same mods - although I don't think I'll modify the airbox.

So far I've removed exhaust flapper servo, the O2 sensors, replaced headers and collector (where the flapper valve is) with pipes from a 696, replaced the stock mufflers with Termignoni slip-ons.

I bought a few spare ECUs on ebay along the way and looked into re-programming them. There is a pretty cool forum over here: JPDiag but it's not an easy thing to do, and the risk of bricking an ECU is high. In the end I gave up and started bought a power commander options (PC-V) but have yet to install it.

I'd be interested to hear how you get on or what you end up trying out.

Hey everyone, looking for tuning options for my 2014 Monster 796. I'm planning a slip on exhaust, flapper delete, and modifying the airbox which mean I need to tune the ECU. I spoke to my local shop and they can no longer do tuning for street bikes because of CARB laws (California). They suggested the Termignoni Upmap but from my research that is only available for newer bikes, not the 796.

Any help?

·
Registered
37 Posts
You're going to have to pass smog in California, so your options are going to be limited.

You could maybe get a flashing unit that allows you to switch between maps for say, street and track =]

I have a Rexxer they ask you what mods you have and send you a tune for it. They ask if you're removing the cat or O2 sensors, what pump gas you're using, etc.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
See that’s the weird thing with California, I understand smog laws but the few people I know who own bikes have never had to smog them. In fact I pulled off my charcoal canister 2 weeks ago.

·
Registered
Monster 796 ABS
195 Posts
I am riding a Monster 796 in California now for a few years and have not been asked to do a smog check.
As far as I understand, motorcycles are except (at least for now):

I'd say tune the bike and enjoy the ride, but keep the original parts in case the rules change and you need to revert.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That sounds like a plan to me. If the Rexxer or Termignoni options don’t work out perhaps I can swing by your place for ECU tuning since we are close.

Also noticed that you were removing the o2 sensors. What is the benefit of that?

·
Registered
Monster 796 ABS
195 Posts
That sounds like a plan to me. If the Rexxer or Termignoni options don’t work out perhaps I can swing by your place for ECU tuning since we are close.

Also noticed that you were removing the o2 sensors. What is the benefit of that?
For sure, it would be happy to help out if I can. I haven't tuned mine yet, it's a work-in-progress. My plan is to use a power-commander, but I just haven't had the time to install it yet. Probably later in the summer.

I'm no expert, but this is my current understanding: Removing the O2 sensors is usually part of the tuning process, so that the ECU runs in what's called "open loop" mode. Basically the O2 sensors are used by the ECU to keep the bike near stoichiometric AFR. This is supposed to reduce emissions and improve efficiency by ensuring a full fuel burn (not too rich), and be good for the engine, not letting it run too hot (not too lean).
With a piggy-back solution like a power commander or a bazzaz unit, the tuning is done by applying a delta AFR (usually a little bit extra) to the ECU default/base map. If the O2 sensors are present/enabled then the ECU will use them for closed loop control, and essentially negate any adjustment you apply with the power-commander.

But, yeah, from what I have read disabling the closed-loop control is kind of the first step or a prerequisite for tuning.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I am riding a Monster 796 in California now for a few years and have not been asked to do a smog check.
As far as I understand, motorcycles are except (at least for now):

I'd say tune the bike and enjoy the ride, but keep the original parts in case the rules change and you need to revert.
Ah I had no idea, I grew up in California I just remember going through smog for all of my cars. Interesting that they don't require it for motorcycles.

I think Power Commander has units that can use the O2 sensors to auto-tune the ECU, I think this is one of the main advantages of the unit and would be a reason to use them. Not sure if it works on Ducati: Dynojet AutoTune - Power-Commander-Shop.com

I did have good results with my Rexxer tune, the engine is noticeably smoother (less vibrations) and you feel a bit more power (I have the small hp Monster). I opted to disable o2 sensors and the new exhaust removed the cat, I think these factors give you the only real performance benefit besides weight savings.

·
Registered
Monster 796 ABS
195 Posts
Ah I had no idea, I grew up in California I just remember going through smog for all of my cars. Interesting that they don't require it for motorcycles.

I think Power Commander has units that can use the O2 sensors to auto-tune the ECU, I think this is one of the main advantages of the unit and would be a reason to use them. Not sure if it works on Ducati: Dynojet AutoTune - Power-Commander-Shop.com

I did have good results with my Rexxer tune, the engine is noticeably smoother (less vibrations) and you feel a bit more power (I have the small hp Monster). I opted to disable o2 sensors and the new exhaust removed the cat, I think these factors give you the only real performance benefit besides weight savings.
!00% agree on the o2 delete - for me this was a total game-changer for ride ability, especially at low RPM in traffic.
I also dropped 1 tooth on the front sprocket and removed the CAT. But I haven't installed the PC-V yet so cannot comment.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I don't understand the o2 delete. I've always thought that the ECU uses feedback from the o2 sensor to adjust settings.

What said, I like the power commander option but they don't have base maps for what I want to do. I did hear bck from a local dealer for Termignoni who confirmed that the T-800 does work for our bikes so that is a pretty straight forward option I guess.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Maybe look here for the different ECU options regarding o2 sensors. An o2 delete will eliminate that feedback loop and run off a straight fuel map. Other options are out there to modify ECU o2 response or the o2 signal.

·
Registered
Monster 796 ABS
195 Posts
Maybe look here for the different ECU options regarding o2 sensors. An o2 delete will eliminate that feedback loop and run off a straight fuel map. Other options are out there to modify ECU o2 response or the o2 signal.

Nice article muggy. There is a paragraph in there that pretty much exactly sums up my experience with the M796:

Problems with Switching Between Open Loop and Closed Loop
There are a number of common problems that can lead to what people describe as “poor fuelling” and long for the days before emissions restrictions, and possibly before fuel injection.

One of the most common problems is over-aggressively switching to closed-loop mode. Manufacturers do this because they want to pass emissions regulations, so have to keep combustion efficiency high. This means that you might experience things like:

• You’re keeping constant speed on a flat surface and the throttle is nearly closed: The motorcycle lurches and jerks. This is the engine switching to closed-loop mode, or switching between odes because it’s confused.
  • You have hesitation as you accelerate hard, usually in the low-mid RPM range: This is the computer being hesitant to enter open-loop mode.

These problems can be resolved by modifying the fuel map, and sometimes the sensors.
Sometimes, motorcycle owners just eliminate the sensors.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Not a 796, but a 696, but did some tuning. Gaining a lot of power is difficult on these bikes, but for me the Rexxer-mapping in combination with Project SC cans, K&N filter and DP Airbox lid works perfect. I don't think i've gained a whole lot of top end power, but the power delivery feels so much more smooth and straight. The 696 doesn't have an 02-sensor at all, can't help you with that. Also mounted CNC rear sets, a Healtech Easy Quickshifter and radial brake and clutch pump from a 848 for some better braking. The Beringer Aeronal discs and carbon stuff are mainly for looks. Oh, and a DP saddle for better grip and Driven Racing clipons for a more sporty riding position. All in all, I think you bennefit more from ridability upgrades as from extra power, which after a ECU remap will be difficult to obtain any more.

So, I still feel missing some top end power when doing trackdays with supersports and superbikes. Corners are not the problem, but can't keep up on the straights. So i've either got to buy an othe bike or do some free riding and stop caring about topspeed...

And yes, i've dreamt about a turbo or supercharger setup...

Tire Wheel Vehicle Helmet Sports gear

1 - 14 of 14 Posts