Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
'13 Monster 796 ABS
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey folks,

It's an easygoing Friday night over here, so I figure it's a great time to reach out to youse about something I've been curious about for a while: Anyone know why the Monster 796 is called 796? I haven't been able to figure it out despite my best Googling—maybe one of you knows!

It's curious 'cause as far as I'm aware, all of the other Monsters follow a straightforward naming scheme: their names are just their engine displacements rounded to a nice number. (E.g., Monster 1100 is 1078cc while the original Monster M900 comes in at 904cc. An even more practical example is the Monster 696 whose engine comes in at 695.7cc.) The Monster 796 along with the related 795 & 797 are the only ones with the distinction of not following that, coming in at 803cc.

I originally figured they chose 796 (and 795, 797, etc.) to riff off the 696 seeing as how the 796 was supposed to be the next level for those stuck between riding the 696 and 1100, but that theory went out the window when I learned the Monster 796 uses the Hypermotard 796's engine. So really, the question is just as relevant as this: Why is the Hypermotard 796 called 796 despite an 803cc displacement?

Yeah, it's been a slow night, but these are things that I've wondered about. Maybe one of youse can shed some light on this!

·
Registered
Monster 796 ABS
193 Posts
Hey folks,

It's an easygoing Friday night over here, so I figure it's a great time to reach out to youse about something I've been curious about for a while: Anyone know why the Monster 796 is called 796? I haven't been able to figure it out despite my best Googling—maybe one of you knows!

It's curious 'cause as far as I'm aware, all of the other Monsters follow a straightforward naming scheme: their names are just their engine displacements rounded to a nice number. (E.g., Monster 1100 is 1078cc while the original Monster M900 comes in at 904cc. An even more practical example is the Monster 696 whose engine comes in at 695.7cc.) The Monster 796 along with the related 795 & 797 are the only ones with the distinction of not following that, coming in at 803cc.

I originally figured they chose 796 (and 795, 797, etc.) to riff off the 696 seeing as how the 796 was supposed to be the next level for those stuck between riding the 696 and 1100, but that theory went out the window when I learned the Monster 796 uses the Hypermotard 796's engine. So really, the question is just as relevant as this: Why is the Hypermotard 796 called 796 despite an 803cc displacement?

Yeah, it's been a slow night, but these are things that I've wondered about. Maybe one of youse can shed some light on this!
Great question - I've often wondered this too!

·
Registered
462 Posts
Well, it's been a long time since I read about this, I'm not 100% sure.
The 796 (and others), was aimed at the Indian market, made in Thailand. There used to be a law in India, which prohibited sales of bikes 800cc or above.
BUT, larger bikes were able to be imported with permission from ministry of commerce. Along with an 88% import duty on new bikes, 149% on second hand (??)
So I'm assuming Ducati needed to comply, with old rules etc. even though the engine was 803cc. They were marketed as just 'below' 800.
There are many references to max capacity of bikes sold in India on the Net, many just don't agree.
Like I said, I cannot confirm this, so Maybe search more.

·
Registered
Monster 796 ABS
193 Posts
AFIR it was the 795 that was aimed at the Asian market, being the same frame/swing-arm as the 696 but the bigger engine capacity.
Whereas the 796 was the Europe/NorthAmerican version, that shared the frame/swing-arm with 1100.
I believe there were some design differences for the target market, with the 795 having a lower stock seat.

EDIT: came across this which may be relevant: 795 vs 796 though it doesn't explain the naming convention asked by the OP.

·
Registered
'13 Monster 796 ABS
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hey ronski, thanks for that. It's an interesting take, actually pretty amusing if you ask me. Like James mentions though, the 795 was the one aimed for the Asian markets; however, it could well be the reason for the 795's name—get even more breathing room by shaving off that cc from 796, hah!

Sadly, I'm starting to think this great mystery is actually pretty vanilla. I reckon it all comes back to the Monster 696: the Monster 796 uses the Hypermotard's engine, which in turn was supposed to be based on the 696's power plant—only Ducati couldn't help themselves and ended up making the engine bigger. It'd make sense to compromise on the 796 moniker in this case.

All speculative at the end of the day, still. I've actually emailed Ducati Bologna about this; let's see what they might have to say!

·
Registered
462 Posts
Yep, James was correct, it was the 795 aimed at the Asian market, different frame, swing arm etc.
I did say it was a long time ago. Look forward to Ducati's reply, but don't hold your breath, ha. ha.
All very confusing....

·
Registered
'13 Monster 796 ABS
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Confusing and curious indeed! But it all ultimately adds to the bike's story, and it's a good one! I admittedly didn't think much of the 796 before I bought mine; now I'm a believer!

·
Registered
'13 Monster 796 ABS
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well, what do ya know? Ducati North America got back to us after all, a bunch of times actually. The short version: No one there really knows the reason to the 796's funny naming (hah!), but their best guess would be that it came down to marketing (of course). It was likely a confluence of factors cultural, legal, business, etc. with elements of what we've speculated so far—from @ronski's take to the 696. That's the short of it; there's a chance Ducati North America get back to us with a more conclusive answer—

The fun version: That generic response above was the voicemail our guy from Ducati North America—let's call him Eric—left us yesterday. After an intense game of phone tag, Eric finally got a hold of me earlier this evening (at the Shell station filling up the bike, of all places and things!). We proceeded to have a great twenty minute conversation about the 796 and the mysterious experts at Ducati. See, Eric forwarded our question to the top guy at Ducati North America, the top person who'd know these things at least. They did their best researching and piecing together what info they had and ultimately gave the answer above (to their credit, with lots of thought and details).

The thing is, this is all at Ducati North America. There's a chance our query makes it to Ducati Italia, and that's where the Dude is. There's apparently some sage, old guru deep in Ducati Bologna whom they go to when the going gets tough—you know, when tough Ducati questions need answering. But you can't trifle with the Duderino: he only takes serious questions. So cross your fingers, press your thumbs, folks!, and hope that Ducati Italia take our question!

·
Registered
Monster 796 ABS
193 Posts
Well, what do ya know? Ducati North America got back to us after all, a bunch of times actually. The short version: No one there really knows the reason to the 796's funny naming (hah!), but their best guess would be that it came down to marketing (of course). It was likely a confluence of factors cultural, legal, business, etc. with elements of what we've speculated so far—from @ronski's take to the 696. That's the short of it; there's a chance Ducati North America get back to us with a more conclusive answer—

The fun version: That generic response above was the voicemail our guy from Ducati North America—let's call him Eric—left us yesterday. After an intense game of phone tag, Eric finally got a hold of me earlier this evening (at the Shell station filling up the bike, of all places and things!). We proceeded to have a great twenty minute conversation about the 796 and the mysterious experts at Ducati. See, Eric forwarded our question to the top guy at Ducati North America, the top person who'd know these things at least. They did their best researching and piecing together what info they had and ultimately gave the answer above (to their credit, with lots of thought and details).

The thing is, this is all at Ducati North America. There's a chance our query makes it to Ducati Italia, and that's where the Dude is. There's apparently some sage, old guru deep in Ducati Bologna whom they go to when the going gets tough—you know, when tough Ducati questions need answering. But you can't trifle with the Duderino: he only takes serious questions. So cross your fingers, press your thumbs, folks!, and hope that Ducati Italia take our question!
This is turning into an awesome thread!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts