Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Super Moderator
Monster 796 ABS
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks,

This is not a new idea, but I haven't seen anyone post about this specific mod, so I thought I'd share. For a while now I have not liked the look of the bracket that supports the passenger foot-peg on the 796 and don't ever carry a passenger. After some inspiration from other posts here and on other Monster forums, I figured I'd give it a go.
This has been on my to-do list for a while, and I actually bought the spare brackets from @Atrais on this forum back in 2021!

Anyhow, the basic idea was to cut down the stock peg brackets, as so many have done, but this time to try to attach stock heel-guards. I had bought a pair of an 848 super-sport.
After looking at the options and taking a few measurements, however, it looked like they might not fit all that well. Also, it wasn't clear how I'd attach them. By chance, a colleague introduced me to the idea of brazing and after a quick search I found this:aluminum brazing rod.

So, in case anyone else is interested in a similar idea, I figured I'd share.

Here were the original brackets, actually from a 696, not a 796, but the parts are identical.

Grey Wood Tool Bicycle part Metal

It was a very quick hacksaw job to cut them down. The cast aluminium is surprisingly soft, and cuts quite easily.

Hand tool Wood Tool Tableware Metalworking hand tool

You can see that there is one large rubber bushing inserted in the bracket, which I needed to remove.
It's pushed into a machined hole that has a shoulder on the far side, so it wasn't possible to just press/beat it back out.

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design

I used some threaded bar, and a few large washers as a home-brew puller/extractor.
Because I was essentially pulling them out by the rubber part (the outer metal ring was obscured by the shoulder on the hole) I couldn't use too much force, for fear of tearing the rubber, so I decided to apply little bit of heat with a propane torch. It didn't take much.

I then spent quite a bit of time with a regular hand-file to shape the cuts and to get the parts to fit together reasonably well.
Here is a mock-up of how I wanted it to fit:

Wheel Tire Bicycle Crankset Bicycle tire

And here it is after a brazing - you can see the original finish burned off.

Bicycle Wheel Blue Bicycle tire Bicycle wheel

After some time with a file to remove the excess bead on the joint and some time to clean the surface with a wire wheel (mounted in a drill-press), I had the finished pair:

Tool Bicycle part Household hardware Auto part Metal

Then a good clean with acetone and a few coats of Rustoleum High-Heat Matt Engine Enamel, and they started to look pretty OK:
Auto part Tool Fashion accessory Personal protective equipment Metal

Re-fit the bushings and re-attach the foot-pegs and levers, and they were ready to install:

Tool Bicycle part Hand tool Auto part Fashion accessory

I'll follow up with a photo of them on the bike.
Time will tell how well the engine enamel will hold up, though I have had good experience with the high-heat stuff once it's been baked.
Interested to hear peoples thoughts, or if anyone else has tried something similar.

Attachments

· Super Moderator
Monster 796 ABS
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the kind words guys - I was nervous what the reaction would be.
The rain stopped here in NorCal so I took them for their maiden voyage today - holding together so far!

PSA for anyone in the South Bay: Highway 9 from Los Gatos to Skyline has a few very slick corners - silt deposits from rain runoff.

· Registered
527 Posts
I was nervous what the reaction would be.
It's your bike so don't care what others think.
Anyway,,,, - 1 point for the finish on the braising, you needed to build it up a bit more and file it back.
I like the end result though.
You've made it look much tidier than stock and the usual after market rearsets really don't blend in with your model.
99% of people wouldn't notice them at all which makes it a nice mod.

· Super Moderator
Monster 796 ABS
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Anyway,,,, - 1 point for the finish on the braising, you needed to build it up a bit more and file it back.
Yeah, I struggled to get the temperature right, and it started to bead up and run. I think I should have angled it back about 30-degrees and it would have 'filled' better.

You've made it look much tidier than stock and the usual after market rearsets really don't blend in with your model.
99% of people wouldn't notice them at all which makes it a nice mod.
Thanks - nice to hear. It's true, as nice as they are, the aftermarket rear-sets do stand out a lot.

· Registered
69 Posts
Kind of like that kid with the huge wing on the stock standard Hyundai excel.
Couldn't resist:
Tire Wheel Automotive tail & brake light Car Vehicle registration plate

Hilarious when the guy pulled up. He was defo riffing on your advice about not giving a damn what others think :)

@jamestcurran, thanks for sharing the guts of the operation. Appreciate it big time!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts