Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So what is the biggest difference between the M750 and the M900. I'm looking to purchase one and can't decide what's best. I currently ride a 01 748s and want to get into something a bit more allaround.

Thanks
Eric

·
Premium Member
5,076 Posts
Re: Monster 750 or 900???

The 750 has a wet clutch & (obviously) less power. Get the biggest motor you can afford, the new 1000 sounds even better, but if you like to tinker, the 900 has a ton of aftermarket products available.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

What is the actual power difference between the two? Is there a big difference between the wet and dry clutch besides noise? Which is better? Also would any one know of the weight difference between the 750 and 900?

And how would the power delivery of the 750 or 900 compare to my 748? I know the 2 valves are more touquer that the 4 valves.

S

·
0 Posts

Hi,

With the 97 Hp of your 748, I think the M900 is the bike for you.

These are the European figures according to

·
Premium Member
642 Posts

I love my 750 and have extensively modded it. It does everything I need and everything I ask. I live in the mountains and I see no real need for more power. I think it is fine.

There isn't "that" much difference between the 750 and 900 but I know if you come off of a 900 and ride a 750 you can feel a difference. Its mainly just power. The carbed 750's and 900's only have about 10 horsepower difference between each other, the same with fuel injected monsters. The fuel injected monsters have about 3 hp more than the carbed monsters too. Of course every bike is different. I've heard of 900's that have 58hp which is less than my 750.

Yes the aftermarket is much bigger on 900's which is nice, and the 900 contains more potential for future mods. That is a drawback between 750's and 900's.

In the end a Ducati will still please you every time you hop on it. Monsters aren't really all about hp #'s and all that, I think they are just about cruising and having fun. I'm sure you'll be pleased with whichever one you buy.

Here is a site with some #'s on it if that can help you out.

http://www.ferracci.com/2002ferracci/2002Models/ducati/monster/monster_techspecs.html

Can't wait to see what you get, and good luck looking!

-Patrick

·
Registered
359 Posts

My brother just purchased a 750, I have a 900. The quick spin I took around the block on his was not a disappointment. Power was there and it did feel lighter. But I would keep my 900.

·
Premium Member
5,076 Posts

Another note (on my way to being a senior member!!) is that while there is virtualy no top end on a monster, you will be very impressed with the low down torque (& no flaking rockers). All this is more reason to get the bigger motor.

·
Premium Member
3,833 Posts

Another note (on my way to being a senior member!!) is that while there is virtualy no top end on a monster, you will be very impressed with the low down torque (& no flaking rockers). All this is more reason to get the bigger motor.
Yeah, big motor = good.

Kevin

·
Premium Member
3,095 Posts

Get the 900 ;D
You won't be dissapointed and you'll never look back to wonder why/if I/shoulda/coulda...
I bought a new 620 in August. Traded it for a used 900S in October. I'm loving it/no regrets ;D

·
Registered
16 Posts

750 only has a 5 speed, wet clutch, and also had the "coffin" style maters. I think the 900's also get an aluminum swing-arm?

Had I been more infomred when I bought my bike I would have taken a 900. I don't regret my purchase at all, I'm just saying.

You'd be happy with either, but all things being = the 900 is the way to go.

·
Premium Member
189 Posts

As the old saying goes, "there's no replacement for displacement". Get the M900 you won't regret it! ;)

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

Thanks for everyones feedback. Looks like the 900 is the way to go. I like the fact that there are plenty of mods for the 900. Living close to BCM I'm sure Bruce can hook me up with a 944 kit and plenty of other cool bits for that matter. In fact every year they have a Monster only track day. Now that would be cool!!!

Eric

·
Registered
100 Posts

As someone else mentioned, not all 900 monsters are the same. I had a 1997 m900 which I had dyno'd after fitting cans, dynojet kit, K&N etc and it didn't have the poke expected. The (then) UK importers Moto-Cinelli told me "that year and model m900 has the 750 cams, lower compression and a different ignition box to soften the lower end power delivery." If you wanted the monster as nature intended you had to get the m900s that year which had the full bifter power delivery. If power isn't an issue maybe the 750 with the much quieter clutch is the one to get, even a good 900 sounds as if it's broken.

·
Registered
3,755 Posts

If power isn't an issue maybe the 750 with the much quieter clutch is the one to get, even a good 900 sounds as if it's broken.
He's a blasphemer! STONE HIM!!!!!!

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
That's right about not all 900's being equal. DO a search on here and make sure you are getting one of the good ones.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts