Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, now that I'm newly single, I'm that much closer to getting the bike that she never wanted me to have. The trouble is, I've spent the last few months learning everything I could about the Monster. I've wanted a naked bike ever since high school (I'm 31 now). Then yesterday, someone pulls up next to me on a 748s at a stoplight. Now I want one of those, too!

Of course, being newly single, and starting over with nothing, getting even one bike will be a stretch, so there's no way I can do both.

I haven't ridden a bike in more than 10 years, and that was a '78 CX500. I've been looking for a used Monster 750, and it looks like I could get a used 748s for just a little more.

Any thoughts on which one would be better for a (basically) beginning rider?

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
The difference in cost between COMPARABLE condition and model year 750 Monster and 748S is a lot more than "just a little bit more". The intended usage is almost wildly different.

The 74X series starts off new at a minimum of $12,000 for the least expensive "dark" model, and the better equipped versions are considerasbly more.

The 750 Monster is no longer made as a current model year, but is now available as an 800 that sells for roughly $8000 or more. Non current 750s are still available for just over $7000.

The used market, for COMPARABLE condition 750 Monsters and 74Xs reflects the difference in new price. You'll be hard pressed to fnd a decent 74X for under $7500, but will easily find a used nice condition 750 for $4500 or less.

The 2 bikes are wildly different in intended usage. The Monster is an all around "multi-purpose" bike. The 74X series is pure "racer replica", with a non-compromising seating position that will have you crying for relief if you make the mistake of trying to use it as anyhting different. The 74X motors are also VERY high rpm motors compared to the 750 Monster. They make WAY, WAY more horsepower than the 750 Monster (realistically, at least 50% more), but if you try to "cruise" on one, you'll be doing a LOT of shifting.

You might want to determine beforehand how you REALLY want to ride. That will make your decision easier.

Jim G

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The Monster gets my vote. Like it was stated above, it really depends on how you want to ride.

Don't overlook the comfort factor. I had a cbr600 before I got a Monster. The Monster is so much more comfortable that I look forward to riding it all the time; that didn't happen with the cbr. And from what I've heard, the cbr is plush compared to the 748.

The 748 is one gorgeous bike, however. No one would blame you for wanting it more.

Good luck, and be safe.

--Mike

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i say get NEITHER bike. with your past riding experience, you'll likely feel right at home back in the saddle after a short time. maybe a month or two. that said, you may feel underpowered on the m750 after just one season. this isn't a trajedy at all, but something to be wary of.

not to say you should get a 748S. we're talking apples & oranges here... the 748S will have you chomping at the bit to go FAST all the time and may not get you into the mentality you should be in to get reaquainted with motorcycling.

my suggestion is to try to track down a good condition used m900. you'll land power-wise right between the m750 and the 748S and will be on a bike that is more forgiving i think. really good grunt to keep you happy for many seasons and lots of perk's compared to the m750 (dry clutch, 6speed tranny, more power)...

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
David: Strati is giving you really good, experienced advice.

Jim G

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks, Strati. I have spoken with some friends who were kind of steering me away from anything larger than a 750 (they were really pushing a 600)... something along the lines of "you can hurt yourself just as bad on a 600 as a 900, it just takes you 3 more seconds to get there."

The theory that they both used (both own multiple bikes now) is the "start with a good, used 600. See if you like it. See if it's the right style bike. Maybe you can't handle wearing leathers in the SC summertime. Maybe you just don't like riding 30 minutes to work as much as you thought you would. If you do, great. Sell the bike next spring for almost as much as you paid for it and move up a class. Maybe get a new one. If not, sell it and you're not out a lot of money."

It kind of makes sense and all. I was originally looking at a Honda 919, and they talked me into something smaller. The switch to Ducati was my idea, and both have whole-heartedly backed that decision (both own or have owned Ducatis in the past).

I think based on what I'm seeing above, the Monster would be the better choice for now. In the end, it will probably come down to how much money I can scrounge up, and how long will I be willing to wait.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
a very important factor to take into consideration is this... is the 600cc bike your buddies are referring to a 4cylinder bike? if so, then i'm right on board with them... 4cyl bikes are cranking between 90-110 hp these days and that's plenty to get anybody's shorts dirty in the wrong situation.
the 900 monster puts out about 80 hp if i recall correctly and the nature of a 2cyl's power delivery is much more forgiving/predictable/controllable than a 4cyl's. with an m900, you'll be a happy camper ;)

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
80 HP ... at the crank with a tailwind going down hill .. :)

Seriously I've got a 1000 and even that has extremely manageable power. I think a M900 would make a fine bike for either starting new or returning to riding. A 600 I4 will rocket you out of your shorts and scare the crap out of you if you're not careful, and I expect that's what your buddies are thinking of. The 748 would be comparable to a japanese 600, but even then the power would be more linear and easier to handle.

M900 all the way.

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I currently own both a "02" 748 Mono and a "01" M900, I bought them both "new" as left overs in the past 10 months. If I could only own one of them, it would be the monster. It has great power, easier to cruise with and alot more comfortable. I think if you are thinking of either one, you would regret it if you got the 748 and not the monster. I love my 748, but it does limit where I go and how long I ride at any one time. On the 748 you always feel like you have to drive around at 90mph, with the Monster you can relax and just thump along. I recomend the Monster X2.. Good Luck

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
tought choice,what will be the use of the bike?
But i also think Strati is right..

1 - 12 of 12 Posts