Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, i knwow that this topic was discussed many times on this forum but im not sure that the situation applyed for me. Please take a look at this video and hear the whistle noise on deceleration. This noise is not present on cold engine, only after the engine is hot. Is this sound a normal sound? Thanks in advance :cool:

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's the belt whining....it does that if it's too tight or the engine is really warm from sitting in traffic
I set the belts at 110 Hz after a android app "Easy Tension" ...i will check them again. Thanks Buhgaboo

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'll try but , are you sure that this noise is comming from the belts? I have read some other threads and watched some youtube videos and got a little scared that this noise could come from cranck bearings or from the main bearing. :oops:

·
Registered
105 Posts
That isn't the belts, that's the intake. Depends on your air filter, but totally normal.

I describe it as a rotating slide whistle noise. Only on deceleration but if you get up close and personal on the tank you can hear it on acceleration as well.

For reference my belt tension is 120hz, 20hz below factory spec and they only have 4000 miles on them.

Air filter is a hi-flo brand OEM spec

·
Registered
351 Posts
This is always an issue when comparing data across different bikes...the 110 is what my m821says....and going by the sound and him saying he tightend them down at 110 already...and they do sound audibly tight...nevertheless; the difference in torque from 145 to 110 is of such a small amount it doesn't matter ...however, it does effect the resonance of the belt ...which is what I'm hearing

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
That isn't the belts, that's the intake. Depends on your air filter, but totally normal.

I describe it as a rotating slide whistle noise. Only on deceleration but if you get up close and personal on the tank you can hear it on acceleration as well.

For reference my belt tension is 120hz, 20hz below factory spec and they only have 4000 miles on them.

I have the aftermarket K&N filter and termignoni mufflers and ecu

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

i have spoked with a ducati mechanic, and said that from his experience i should set them around 100 Hz . He had situations when the belts made this noise at more thank 100 Hz.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I have the aftermarket K&N filter and termignoni mufflers and ecu
I’m have a K&N filter one my 696 and it makes a whistling sound right at 3k or so, def from the air inlets on the tank. Sounds a little different than this, but similar.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Do a side to side video...if it's only on the right...belts...both...airbox
i think the belts are causing the noise beacause the noise is present only when the engine its hot (belts streching, engine dilatation) and i can hear the noise comming from the belts area. Ill try to make a side to side video

1 - 18 of 18 Posts