Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Everyone,
History:
I was hoping to get some assistance with my Monster 696. I bought it about two months ago from the original owner's family because he is terminally ill. =(
The bike had about 9100 miles on it. No real maintenance history. It has the voltage regulator replaced about 6 months ago as well as an oil change at the local Ducati dealer in Jan.

-Bike Broke Down
I put about 400 miles on it before I had the following issue.
My wife and I went on a ride about 45 miles one way and came to a stop for our lunch.(We packed a lunch)
We left and started to head back home and I made it about 5-7 miles and came to a stop light. The bike shuttered and died out. I tried to start the bike up and it would not start. It would crank over but not fire.
I have an awesome friend who came to pick me up and towed me home.

-Diagnostics
When the bike would not start I checked for fuel(I had about 3/4 of a tank)
Towed home and check for spark and the bike has spark
The bike has compression
The bike fired up on starting fluid and would run as long as it had a supply of the starting fluid.
The air filter appears to be new.
I talked to someone on the Ducati Monster Facebook group who recommended checking the fuel filter so I changed that.
I also replaced the gas with fresh fuel from a top tier location, I even used a siphon pump to pull what fuel i could out of the fuel lines.
The bike would then fire up for about .5 seconds and die out. But not every time.
The fuel pump would prime and would flow fuel(I used this to drain the tank)
The plugs looked dry which makes me believe no fuel into the cylinder since we have spark and compression.
I went ahead and replaced the spark plugs and gapped them to spec in the manual.
Fuel lines in the tank checked out.
I did the trick when you turn the bike on and look for bubble and there is no bubbles.
I had a recommendation that the pump may not be able to build pressure but still flow, so I purchased one from CA Cycleworks. The bike will sometimes fire up and run for about .5 seconds and die out.
I also crimped the return line on the fuel to rule out the FPR and same result.
I tried to start the bike on starting fluid and it will start. When you blip the throttle it will die out unless you keep spraying starting fluid into the bike.
I used the stethoscope method to listen to the injectors as I had my wife turn the bike over and they are firing.
I unplugged TPS and tried to start the bike with the same results as before.
This leads me to believe that I may have an issue with the injectors? It is the only thing left in the fuel system.
Has anyone had this issue? Any tips, tricks or recommendations?

·
Registered
72 Posts
You could try bombing it with techron fuel system cleaner. It sounds like a fuel pressure issue, but if you've ruled that out it is probably Injectors

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think I figured it out. I crimped the wrong fuel line to test the fuel pressure. I crimped the correct line today and the bike fired up. As soon as I removed the vice grips from the crimped line it shut off.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Seriously good documentation as well. Much nicer than "my 696 will not run, help me fix it" and no details included hahaha

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks! I am waiting on the FPR. Thank God for CA Cycleworks. It's so much cheaper than the assembly from Ducati. Once I get it running I will update. I searched everywhere and couldn't find an answer. I hope to help someone out.

·
Registered
770 Posts
Doing one more post letting people know what fixed the problem is what really helps everyone. Without that the whole thread is useless. Like a mystery book with the last chapter ripped out.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Fuel Pressure Regulator was the problem. I pulled it and swapped it with a CA Cycleworks part and it fired right up. They have amazing customer service and I recommend them for parts.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts