Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm new to Ducati's and have just purchased a 2009 Monster 696. No doubt there's some operator error going on but my bike seems to have a seriously sensitive throttle. At high speed every time you hit a bump on the road you end up blipping the throttle - I can live with this although it's not exactly a smooth ride. At low speed however it's mildly suicidal - if you hit a bump half way through a corner or coming into an intersection you can go from being in control to spearing yourself off the road or across an intersection in a millisecond. It's great to have a responsive throttle and overall I love the bike but it's starting to put the wind up me. Is this normal for the Ducati?

·
Registered
81 Posts
I've enjoyed my 1100 much more since I got this:

http://www.g2ergo.com/g2-tamer-throttle-tubes-720.html

The hard core Ducatisti will flame away, but this is 2011 now. Ferrari and Lambo make supercars that you can also use in ordinary traffic. Driveability and performance are not mutually incompatible.

I use the "500" cam, the mildest available. It's a 25% reduction in sensitivity for the first 1/2 of the throttle travel, then it reverts to normal operation. Overall throttle travel to reach wide-open is just 12.5% longer than stock, but it makes a huge difference.

Others have reported good luck with the "300" cam, which is reportedly 1/2 way between stock and the "500."

Cheers, Tom

·
Registered
11 Posts
I don't know if you bought your bike new or used, but if used, the preevious owner might have mod'd it with a 14 tooth front sprocket instead of the 15 tooth stock sprocket. the 14 tooth sprocket makes it 'torquier' and maybe that's what you're experiencing...?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm the second owner and the first was an older guy so it's unlikely it was modified (the bike is still under warranty). My boyfriend rides a 900SL and swears his throttle is twitcher than mine so maybe it's a Ducati thing (my last bike was an Aprillia). It just feels odd to have to control the bike with only your left hand as the harder you grip with your right the more you accentuate blipping the throttle every time you hit a bump.

·
Registered
663 Posts
It just feels odd to have to control the bike with only your left hand as the harder you grip with your right the more you accentuate blipping the throttle every time you hit a bump.
You just may have found your problem. Too much hand grip. Ease up on your grip, relax your arms. You should not have a death grip on the bike, wrong riding style. Try riding with arms bent and loose, and just enought grip on the bars that your hands are partially open.

The only time I tighten my grip the bars is when under hard acceleration, don't want to fall off the back...

BTW, I changed the grips to a larger diameter with a stickier grip to alleviate this problem on my S4.

The grips were to slippery, causing me to use a very hard grip to keep the throttle from backing off while riding.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Tripod's got the best answer. Support yourself with your abs and not your arms. very loose grip on the throttle is best. Also, it will keep your hands from going numb.

·
Registered
302 Posts
I have an 09 696 w/ stock 15t sprocket. No problems here. Just keep your hand and arm loose. When I go over bad bumps at low speeds (speed bumps), sometimes I would pull in the clutch to prevent the problem you are stating. However, you shouldn't be having problems at high speeds.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
The G2 along with the ProTune took all of the twitchiness out of my bike. It actually will run at 2500 Rpm now, which is nice when your riding in a 25 MPH zone

·
Registered
15 Posts
i use my index and middle finder to support the brake lever as i turn the throttle. this helps support my hand and not twist the throttle when i hit a bump.

i also have the death grip on my bars.:) as mentioned here, they said to use your abs by squeezing the tank with your knees. this helped alot cause my hands would get numb after about 15mins of riding. i would forget this and once i feel my hands getting numb i would squeeze the tank with my knees.

·
Premium Member
213 Posts
As others have mentioned if you don't hold yourself up with your core muscles your arms will start to hurt and so will your hands. This will also make your throttle much less sensitive.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Minocheri,

You most likely have tamed the throttle blip through mechanical or technique means already, but if you haven't, consider having your suspension adjusted for your weight. The throttle blip could be the result of a suspension that's set up for someone heavier than you, making it stiffer than it should be and resulting in you getting jarred by the bumps in the road.

Happy riding.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Dear Minocheri, I just came across your touchy throttle post and chuckled. I'm a 48 year old woman, and bought my first motorcycle (after riding a vespa for 5 years) last summer. I have a 2012 Monster 696, and had the SAME issue as you when I first bought the bike. It took the whole summer to get used to the throttle, which I found touchy and terrifying at first. 3500 kms later, I learned to support my weight with my abs, as suggested by meme, keep my arms loose with virtually no weight on the bars, and to support myself over bumps on the footpegs. Now its a breeze. The fellas at my local Ducati Club urged me to be patient and I'm glad they did. I hope by now you, like me, find he throttle joyfully responsive and easier to control, rather than hyper-sensitive and scary.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Tripod had the answer- loosen your grip and your arms!!!

On my 696 I find I've got the throttle cranked open half the time waiting for it to go, on the tight twisites I've got plenty of room on the throttle for mistakes. But then again, I also ride an S2R1k and an 848evo corse so the 696 is a bit of a dog in comparison.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts