Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just thought I would start a thread to see if the little 696 has any issues with high miles. I don't qualify as mines only done 3500 trouble free miles but it would be interesting to see if faults appear. Love the bike though! I know it gets a slating by noobs who have never ridden it over any length of time but the more miles for me means more smiles and the more they say its slow the more I try and beat the bigger bikes in the corners :eek:.

Numcal

·
Super Moderator
3,955 Posts
It's mechanically a development of the same good old air/oil cooled 2v twin they've been using for 25 years. So it should hold up as well as any of them do. Especially in the smaller displacements where it's even more understressed.

The only worries I would have about the newer Ducs is how the electronic systems hold up long term. My old beast is lucky enough not to have any of those to deal with.

PhilB

·
Registered
7 Posts
We (my wife and I ) have two M696. Generally, we are satisfied, but.......

My wife Bike (7.500 Miles until now, one year old):

1100 Miles : Left crankcase oil leak - warranty fix
1500 Miles : Camshaft end caps oil leak,vertical cylinder - fixed myself
6500 Miles : Oil breather oil leak - breather changed (warranty fix)

My Bike (4.900 Miles until now, 8 Months old):

3500 Miles : Left crankcase oil leak - warranty fix
4200 Miles : DP ECU bad or need remapping (O2 Sensor CEL frequently go on, sensor is OK)

We are satisfied with bikes, especially with driving feeling and image of Ducati, but it is not possible to talk about M696 as a perfect and immaculate bike.

·
Registered
2 Posts
good idea, let's see what the highest mileage M696s of the world are.

My 2008 bike passed the 25000 mile mark (40k km) yesterday.

The rear suspension is pretty much gone so am replacing that this weekend. I recently installed Termis plus ECU & Airfilter, and haven't had any major problems (yet). The fuel injection is getting a bit erratic sometimes though, need to get the pump checked.

Next mod would be a DP touring seat hopefully as i'm not too impressed by the crouch-destroying standard seat.

·
Registered
371 Posts
My first monster was a 2009 that I purchased with 77k miles on it in 2011 with a blown engine. The belt had come loose causing the piston on the horizontal cylinder to reinstall the intake valve in the head sideways. Upon disassembly I found minor etching in the oil pump, oil leaks at the head bolts, and significant rust in the swing arm pivot bearings. I suspect given the condition of the belts that someone did not secure the belt tensioner properly. I had a donor engine with a cracked case and less than 1k miles that I swapped everything over into the old case after installing new bearings and setting the shims.

The head tube bearings were well pitted, the harnesses had cut into anything where they were not secured tightly such as the head tube. all of the blinker connections were corroded into the wires, and the rear swing arm and shock were absolutely packed with chain wax. The pivots on the pegs for both driver and passenger had ovalized the cast support beam. The bike was stripped down to the frame and rebuilt ground up replacing everything needed to make it safe and reliable. I enjoyed it for a number of months and sold it off to a happy new rider. It was over 80k last I heard.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Back in 2011 I had a severe drop off in the amount of riding I did on my 2009 M696. But I did manage to get in about 33k on the clock back then. Not much commuting either, mostly weekend-long long distance sport touring, with several ultra long distance corner carving and 3-4 interstate trips. I managed to get all 6 services in from my 1700 USD prepaid maintenance that I got when I bought the bike. I think my dealer wasn't too happy about that.. ;D

Since then I only clocked a few thousand more.. I'm up to 35k and she still runs like new. Its on its 3rd chain/sprockets set, 3rd set of brake pads, 2nd set of front rotors, 2nd clutch pack, new stator, 2nd tank, and 4th set of tires..

O, btw. I recognize a few members here, I'm not entirely new even though I only have 1 post up. The other forum has been dead lately it seems.

·
Super Moderator
3,955 Posts
All this doesn't seem very encouraging as a very reliable bike.
You do have to do the maintenance; Ducatis (and anything Italian, really) respond very poorly to neglect. If you take decent care of it, though, it'll take good care of you. Mine has been reliable and durable and excellent for over 20 years of daily use, so far.

PhilB

·
Super Moderator
3,955 Posts
Phil, what kind of mileage do you have? Just for interest considering 20yrs :)
I keep it updated in my sig (to the nearest 1000). I'm at 220K right now.

PhilB

·
Registered
582 Posts
That's significant Phil, wow!
P.S. I just identified that the signatures don't appear in the mobile app - which is what I am using 90% of the time - and therefore missed it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
2012 M1100 Evo - Bought new- currently 11466 miles.... about 60 miles commuting daily and long joy rides with buddies....

at about 7800 miles stator burned up - replaced with warranty

I love my baby. Termis on the horizon for the coming spring...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts