Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
don't know about the optimate, but most dealers are fitting a connector to connect directly to a battery tender

and yes, battery access is a complete nightmare.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
don't know about the optimate, but most dealers are fitting a connector to connect directly to a battery tender

and yes, battery access is a complete nightmare.
I've had a closer look at the battery connector on my bike and the TM-77 isn't right.

Mine has a white rectangular connector (under a black weather protecting cover). The connector has two male bullet contacts. One contact has a square surround and the other a more rounded 'arch' shape to prevent accidental mis-connection.

This looks like a standard 'Optimate 4' connector to me, so I've ordered this battery charger and will see if it fits.

Anyone know if this connector is the standard factory / dealer fitted battery connection referred to in the manual?

·
Registered
203 Posts
Dealer fitted. Just confirmed with my local shop. They used a battery tender unit, but I assume they use whatever is available. Nice that they do this.

Jim

·
Registered
197 Posts
i think dealers are fitting the battery tender connectors as i've seen this at two different dealers and having spoken with a couple of other owners.

·
Registered
203 Posts
I would say neither. Usually the battery connector is under the seat area and ziptied to the frame...that is if your dealer installed one. Typical design is one male and one female pin. Like this...

Attachments

·
Registered
79 Posts
I found these two connectors under my Monster 1100s's seat cover
Do you know which one is for the battery?

sorry about the photo quality, taken from my phone...
As H20 said, neither of those are for charging the battery.

If the dealer installed a charge lead, it will be a simple Battery Tender connection (like the opposite end of that Optimate 4 cable posted- not the white connector, the other end).

If the Battery Tender connector was installed it will be coming out from under the tank on either side, probably zip-tied to the frame, but maybe not.

·
Registered
203 Posts
http://www.store.commoto.com/images/ducati-battery-charger-2-69.jpg

Even this one has the same plug as mentioned above. My guess is this is a " Battery Tender" brand that Ducati puts a logo on. Look closely under the tank on the right side by the frame. Thats where they " usually" put them. It may also have a cover over it to prevent dirt and water getting in.

Jim

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

·
Registered
79 Posts
The dealer told me that they have installed a connector for on the bike so that I don't need to take off the tank everytime. They claim the connector would work with the Ducati's charger that they sell. But looking at the photo, the connector doesn't look compatible with the any of the conntors mentioned above

http://www.store.commoto.com/product_info.php?currency=EUR&products_id=135
DUDE!

If your dealer installed it, it is a BATTERY TENDER connection! The Ducati charger uses a BATTERY TENDER connection. A BATTERY TENDER will do exactly the same thing as this Ducati charger, without the Ducati name, at 1/3 the Ducati price!

http://www.store.commoto.com/ducati-automatic-battery-charger-p-139.html

http://batterytender.com/product_info.php?products_id=2&osCsid=8ff2d4d7c0e88d717b856534afb06eb9

·
Registered
203 Posts
DUDE!

If your dealer installed it, it is a BATTERY TENDER connection! The Ducati charger uses a BATTERY TENDER connection. A BATTERY TENDER will do exactly the same thing as this Ducati charger, without the Ducati name, at 1/3 the Ducati price!

http://www.store.commoto.com/ducati-automatic-battery-charger-p-139.html

http://batterytender.com/product_info.php?products_id=2&osCsid=8ff2d4d7c0e88d717b856534afb06eb9
He is in the UK. Who knows what kind of funky electrical stuff they have over there! Just kidding. Perhaps they have different systems because of the different current?

·
Registered
197 Posts
UK systems use 240V which is why you need an adapter to run electrical devices from the mains.

our 'funky' electrical system requires that every appliance is grounded, using a separate dedicated earth, unlike the 2-prong connectors fitted to to most devices over here.

see:
http://www.batterymart.com/p-battery-tender-12v-1_25a-uk-battery-charger.html

while i'm at it, ever seen a high definition PAL TV in the UK compared to the NTSC US? miles better!

i'm going there next week, and going to the last round of british superbikes at oulton park. should be completely mad (and possibly cold and wet, which should make the wife happy...)

·
Registered
79 Posts
He is in the UK. Who knows what kind of funky electrical stuff they have over there! Just kidding. Perhaps they have different systems because of the different current?
Yeah, I guess you could be right.

But, I'm still 99% certain that the connection between the battery lead and the charger is the same, regardless of what the plug/adapter to the electrical source (wall outlet) looks like.

·
Registered
203 Posts
I would think so. Although I have some electrical stuff from Russia ( which uses the EU standard) that I brought home and they are uniquely different as far as wiring. Obviously the plug is different. Being that they use 220 volts at 50hz, the internals should be different since we need a transformer / conditioner to use things like laptops, which are handled by the power cord box.

AllI know is that I plug stuff in and it works. This does not make me an electrical engineer.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Monser 696 2008 UK

The lead on my bike is beneath the tank on the left hand side.
I've tested it and it fits the optimate 4 charger - Good news, this will save me a lot of bother.

The square surrounded pin is the negative terminal and the more rounded 'arch' the positive terminal.

I believe that the conector is the same as the Optimate TM71 (weatherproof conector).

·
Registered
335 Posts
Another thing that you can do with you battery charger connection is rig a Garmin Nuvi, or other GPS to the battery connection and have power for your GPS. I didn't want to blow the approx $600 for a weatherproof bike specific GPS, so I bought a Nuvi 205 for $99 at Best Buy. Next I went to radio shack and bought a $6 cigarette lighter socket and connected it via wire to a battery tender lead. Ducati makes a very small tank bag with a clear map pocket. I simply put the GPS in the map pocket and store the cigarette lighter socket in the bag and connected it to the battery tender leads. Works great, GPS stays out of the weather and I saved a small fortune and don't get lost any more.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Monser 696 2008 UK

The lead on my bike is beneath the tank on the left hand side.
I've tested it and it fits the optimate 4 charger - Good news, this will save me a lot of bother.

The square surrounded pin is the negative terminal and the more rounded 'arch' the positive terminal.

I believe that the conector is the same as the Optimate TM71 (weatherproof conector).
Could you post a picture of the end of the lead (connector) coming off of your battery?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts