Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bike: 2007 Monster 695 with about 6000 miles. Original battery.

I let my battery die over winter while off snowbboarding in Wyoming.

About three weeks ago I jump started it off a lawn tractor battery with no problem. Rode about 30 miles into town, came out and battery was dead, I wasn't real surprised, I hadn't ridden all that far and would guess that the charging system is probably pretty minimal. Bump started it in Lowe's parking lot (easy to do with a light little bike like this) and rode home. Charged the battery until trickle charger indicated full charge and tried to start. No luck, so I tried the lawn tractor battery again -- still no luck.

Here's what happens:

I put in the key and turn it on, amber warning light and EOBD lights come on for a few seconds and go out. I hit the starter button and bike makes a loud hum. I pretty sure this is an electrical hum, it certainly isn't a low battery "clicking" sound and it really doesn't sound mechanical, although I suppose it could be a very smoothly spinning, unengaged starter -- but really nothing that I associate with rotary motion. With the tank up, it sounds like the hum may be coming from the electrical board with the big cooling fins located under the seat.

During the hum, while the starter button is depressed, the EOBD and amber warning lights come back on -- they go out a couple of seconds after button is released.

Yes, the bike's in neutral and I checked the engine kill switch and all the fuses.

I'm not at all confident that I correctly understand the operation of the immobilizer, but I tried the override proceedure using the throttle and the electronic release code. The EOBD light never went into the counting proceedure, so I assume it was not locked.

Of course the owners manual has no trouble shooting advice and the dealer service department said they wouldn't give (didn't say "couldn't," incidently) any advice without seeing the bike and hearing the hum for themselves.

The dealer is 1 1/2 hour away and I don't have a truck.

Any thoughts? Hopefully, any help?

·
Premium Member
271 Posts
Sounds like a truly dead battery to me. Not taking a charge.

·
Premium Member
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I agree that the battery is probably shot, but last week the bike would start with a jump and now it won't even crank on a jump. If I'm going to end up giving this thing to the guy that runs the meth lab down by the river, I want to know that the problem is more than another dead Yuasa.

Since posting I went out and bump started it and that worked. But it won't jump start so the problem must be in the starter system, electrical or mechanical. I'm not even sure where the starter is or I'd give it whack with a mallet and see if that breaks something loose.

I also used a mechanics stethascope that is really handy in working on my wife's MG and I believe that what I called a hum is mechanical noise from the fuel system. Of course the owners manual has no helpful drawings other than a line chart of the electrical system. Using the stethascope, I think I am hearing a single click from the round extension at the base of the bottom cylinder and the hum comes from somewhere up in or near the fuel tank -- thus when the tank was up to expose the battery the sound shifted back and seemed to be removed from the engine area. I don't know whether this bike has an electrical fuel pump or electrical system for pressurizing the fuel injectors.

My next bike is going to be a restored pan head for which drawings of every washer are readily available and every old grease head can do repairs in his sleep.

·
Premium Member
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Just a bump of the thread.

I really can't get this thing to a nearest Ducati dealer without hiring a truck and then paying their service department $120 an hour to replace the battery and tell that that didn't help and maybe it's a relay or something.

I mean, the dealer wouldn't even offer a lame suggestion like "battery's shot" on the phone. I could probably replace a starter if I could find it and get a part number (I've done that on the MG) but I can't find anything like a workshop manual or troubleshooting chart on the Web anywhere.

If nobody's got any ideas, I guess I'll offer it for sale, as is. You pick it up in Polk County, Texas. Any offers?

Tommy T.

·
Registered
17 Posts
The hum noise will be the fuel pump in the tank. The round extension at the base of the bottom cylinder is the starter motor! and if you are getting a click noise from that then the starter relay is working but no power from the battery to turn it over. So one of 2 things could be wrong, 1 the starter motor is no good or try for a loose cable at the starter motor. 2 the battery is no good, change the battery.

·
Premium Member
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sox 121: Where do I send the whisky?

I figured the battery was shot because it's 2 1/2 years old and wasn't left on a smart charger over the winter. But, it started on a jump once and then wouldn't do it again but it would start when I bumped it. So after reading your note, I traced the wires; pulled and re-set every fuse and every connector; tightened every post connection. Clamped the jump battery directly to the both battery terminals (no uncertain ground to some piece of metal on the frame) and ...

Started that sucker! New battery is on order and I'm no more than 48 hours from being back on the road.

Thanks Sox.

Now why didn't my dealer's service department tell me to do that?

Tommy T.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Good news, simple fault finding is not that hard to do, your dealer just wants your bike to then take more money from you. No need for the Whisky. Cheers Paul

1 - 7 of 7 Posts