Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am hoping to get into this sport this year, but would like to know if the Monster 620ie is a decent starter bike. It has decent horsepower at 60 (according to there website) I know that the maintence cost is high, but i would be willing to live with that. However, with very little motorcycle experience is this a good starter bike? I intend to take the MSF course and the riders edge course, and am already signed up for both for this spring/summer, but I would like to know if it is a decent starter bike.

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Sure its a good starter bike for the power and size. If you are learning to ride I suggest buy a used bike. Buying used gives you the benefits of not being terrified to dump it once or twice. Which you will by the way. But more importantly, a used bike isn't as much of a financial commitment incase you decide you want a little more power later and decide to trade up.

·
Registered
915 Posts
I would say yes...excellent starter bike if you've got the cash to pay for it and the upkeep...I took the MSF first and hopped on my 620...great first bike in my opinion.

gnew

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have always loved the way the bike looks, but never thought about buying it... Then I heard the sound clips on Ducati's website (I fell in love with that sound)

as for the cash, I have a good job that is stable and can make the payments on a very short term... The maintence scares me a little but it looks like it is under control

·
Premium Member
4,093 Posts
IMO~ I think it is a good starter bike and a KEEPER, mine has plenty of power for all kinds of riding, I have yet , NOT , had enough power for anything I had to do.....except a wheelie from just opening the throttle.... oh well....

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i have been spending alot of my time over at beginner bikes.com and they have suggested the Ducati at the high end of the starter bike group, in line with the Nighthawk 750, and Suzuki SV650. I really like this bike the best and the sound is awesome... I have looked at alot of cruisers, but would honestly prefer a standard sport, as I don't plan to do any serious riding and the heavier weight of the Cruiser might prevent it from being a good bike.

One question... I have seen on alot of sport bikes those white pegs that prevent the plastics from hitting the ground on a mild drop (parking lot type of thing, can the same thing be applied to a 620ie?)

·
Premium Member
694 Posts
I took the MSF/Riders Edge course before I got my bike, an 03 M800S last year. Great class. This is my first bike as well. The conventional, and wise, decision is to buy used, preferably not your object of lust. Well, I couldn't resist. Nevertheless, I can say that the 800 has been fantastic in every way (I love it) and folks here say the same about the 620. I have never regretted my decision. You can get frame sliders for your ride; Cycle Cat makes some nice ones.

·
Premium Member
200 Posts
Excellent starter bike. Just got one for the wife. I think it's more fun to ride than my VFR. It's also as much fun to look at. I hope you won't mind getting attention at gas stations.

I don't think the maintenance is that big of a deal. Valve adjustments are every 6,000 miles (once a season probably for us) and Ducati offers a 2 year warranty and 2 year roadside assistance.

Hard to go wrong. Especially when the Honda 599 lists for a similar price.

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
the day I finish my MSF course (early may) I will be taking a trip to the local Ducati dealer, and sitting on one, if I like it and the numbers are there I think I could join the monster clan...

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Great bike! I have had mine for a nearly a year. I have 14,000 miles on it and I'll be keeping it for a long time!

The maintenance costs have been quite a bit, i.e.: tires, tune-ups, brakes, battery, mods, etc. but I found a Duc Mechanic with his own garage. If you're in the valley, I can hook you up. ;)

This is my first streetbike. I had a Suzuki DR350 Dual-sport and IMO, the Monster feels somewhat comparable in the handling.

The Monster gives you the confidence to push it a little more each time you ride it.

When you go for the rider course, try to get a DR or a Buell Blast if they offer them (a bike with similar seating postion). The only thing that I thought was bad about the MSF was the fact that we never went past 2nd gear. The DR had 6 gears and the Monster has 5!

Good choice and Good luck!

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Smart thinking. Don't buy the bike (or get on it) until you've taken and passed the MSF class. If the bug is still there, buy it. Good luck.

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
i am actually taking the riders edge class first, not the MSF, which is done completely on Buell Blasts

V

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yes, Those little white pegs are called frame sliders and you can buy those for the monsters...I have cycle cat frame sliders on mine...Go for we need more Duc riders...

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
do frame sliders prevent damage to the tank? if they don't what do they do?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts