Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been doing research and have come to the conclusion that the Monster is the perfect frist bike for me. I have always wanted a motorcycle, and I know have the ability to buy one. The only question that remains, is whether to get the 620 model or pay the extra $2,000 for the 800 model. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

M

·
0 Posts
I've said it many times, I love my 620! Even though I'm an experienced rider I'm very happy I chose the 620 as my first Ducati. It has plenty of power for any type of riding situation, looks great, is comfortable, and it's a Ducati - the best! For your first bike you simply couldn't do better, and really the 750/800 engine doesn't out power the 620 by much. About the only "must do" modification for the 620 is to gear it down (1 tooth on the countershaft sprocket) if you're riding primarily in town stoplight to stoplight. Most of my riding is freeway commuting and I get along great with the stock gearing. Go for it, keep us posted, have fun, and welcome to the Ducati family.

·
Premium Member
1,200 Posts
Make it a 2004 620. They have a new clutch system designed to make riding easier for beginners. Iridet also has less engine reciprocating weight to push you through the corners and is easy to ride.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Do you really want to buy the lowest model on the Ducati food chain? From what I've read, the 800 is only slightly heavier than the 620 and has more power.

As everyone on this board has told me, the 800 is slower than the Japanese sport bikes at a start. Take the MSF class and you'll be better off with the 800 plus you won't be kicking yourself when you get bored with the 620. I think it's a no brainer.

Later,
Frank

·
Registered
3,363 Posts
I bought my 620 back in August. I totally love it. Great first bike. But if you can afford it go for the 800. You will want more power sooner than you think.

Having said that, do I love my bike? Yes. Is it fast enough to have fun on? Yes. Good first bike? Yes. If I could do it again would I get the 800? Yes.

So, as you can see you can't really go wrong with a Monster, either 620 or 800. But more hp doesn't hurt.

·
Registered
668 Posts
MSF and then test ride both,
sleep over,
check the insurance stuff.
sleep over.

And go and get the one that suits You best. !

Welcome !

Skier 8)

·
Premium Member
1,488 Posts
I was making the same decision myself about a year ago and I can't tell you how happy I am that I got the 800. There is a pretty decent power difference between the two models, maybe not on paper, but on the street it's noticeable. The few times I've ridden my roommate's 620 I just appreciated my 800 even more. For me, the 800 has enough power that I can have fun when I want like do a wheelie, keep up with the liter bikes in the twisties (I still have yet to see ANYONE on ANY bike but a friend of mine be able to leave the Monster in the hills around here). I would say make your decision on how you want to ride the bike and how aggressive you plan to be in a year vs. today.

·
Registered
461 Posts
I bought the M620 as my 13th of 14th motorcycle, based mostly on its lack of oil cooler, which I thought messed up the visuals with unnecessary clutter. Money had nothing to do with it. A Monster is all about looks.

Performance wise, either is fast enough to get you arrested, or get you out of a tight spot. Neither is first choice for touring or for riding real fast. I don't race, so getting that extra 0.2 seconds off a quarter mile pass means nothing to me. So this bike, the M620, was bought because it's the best looking example of a bike that is all about looks.

-Don

·
Registered
403 Posts
Umm....silly question......but......what is a frist bike??
Some kind of stunt bike or something?

[smiley=cheeky.gif] [smiley=laugh.gif]sorry I thought it was funny

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Real funny Gator! I'll just have to watch my spelling a bit more closely. The reason I'm asking, is because I am fairly new to motorcycles. I'm 17 years old, 5'6" 150lbs, and will be joining the Army in a few months. With that said, I won't have any bills, and should have plenty of money for a bike, so I decided to get the best and get a Ducati. I thought about getting a crotch rocket, but I'm not that big of a guy. Besides, I believe that a bike should have more than just the ability to go fast. I love the design of the Monster, and am of the impression that it goes fast enough anyways. Does anyone know if the 800 has the new handlebar fairing that the 620 does? If not, can it be an aftermarket add on. I think it gives the Monster a sportier look. A lot of the people on this board seem to be from California. I'm moving to Monterey and was wondering if the price of a monster would vary by state. Thanks for the continued help!

M

·
0 Posts
The 620 may be only slightly down on horsepower, but it's way down on torque compared to the 800. It has little wheelie type power and revs higher to get any of what it does have. This makes it a much easier beginners bike, but on the other hand , it takes more work( and time) to get it going on pace. I know, I have both....

D

·
0 Posts
I get reamed everytime I recommend this! Get the 800! You can make the 620 more powerfull, but it would cost you more than the $2000 dif of the bikes.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
TO: Adam Mizzer: I don't know where you live but my local dealer Eurosports cycle in Fort Worth, Texas has an '03 M620ie Dark priced at $5999 sitting in his showroom waiting for a good home. He has a red one too with a fairing but it is slightly more expensive. Should you decide that an M620 is the bike for you check him out. As to your other question about the fairing, you must be referring to the small windscreen on some but not all current monsters. I think there is a model designated "S" that has a few extra bits that includes a windscreen. I think some of these extra bits added to an "S" model one year become standard the year later (dual brake rotors) or on higher capacity (more expensive) bikes.

BTW, going back to that M620ie dark at my dealers showroom, the tank and front fender are in matte black of course but what is unusual about the bike is the frame and wheels are painted silver instead of the dark gray often found on the other monsters for that year even other 620s. The silver color frame was listed as a variant of the 620 but only available in the dark models. I have not seen another like it. It is subtly more striking than the grey framed bike especially with a matte black tank and fender.

FYI, the '04 monsters have 6 speeds while the '03 620 and 800 have 5 speed transmissions.

N

·
0 Posts
Adamizzer- being that you are younger like myself, you will definintely appreciate the power of the 800 over the 620, you will not tire of it anytime soon!! It has great 'around town' power and cruises nicely on the highway. Especially where bills wont be a concern for you, spend the extra cake and go with the 800!
ride safe

·
Registered
40 Posts
I like the oil cooler on the 800. It fills that huge hole between the engine and the forks. When I looked at the 620 just off front and center, the lack of machinery there is very noticable.

Go 800!

Frank

·
Premium Member
694 Posts
I started off on the 800. Certainly no complaints here. Power is linear and plentiful. Perfect. I'm a bit older than you (29), but provided you have a level head and all, you'll be fine. Just be prepared, no matter which bike you get, to be stopped wherever you go by envious eyes and inquiring minds! Enjoy!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts