Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have bad fuel economy with my monster 620.

CO is good don't tell me oblivious stuff like check how to drive. my riding style should give me 25km/l. i'm getting 13. i've been trying to fix this issue for long and have tried a lot of stuff. i'm out of options really.

swapped spark plugs
chain tension
tires
fuel tank (if it's dirty)
checked piston head
checked brakes
checked for leaks
checked some other stuff too, don't remember everything

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
How much do you weigh ? Do you ride in a lot of stop and go traffic ? Stock gearing ? You say nothing about having the injection cleaned or even running injection cleaner through it. You say nothing about your air filter. Your wheels spin freely ? I would get the wheels off the ground and spin them and apply the brakes and make sure the brakes release as they should. They might release but not quickly like they should. Wheel bearings might be causing a drag.

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
I worked on a Suzuki once that owner said had no power. It didn’t. Fuel mileage was probably crap too, I didn’t check. Mufflers were plugged up with carbon , air filter had gotten wet at some point and didn’t pass air as it should.

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
30 horsepower and torque dropping from 4000 rpm on. That isn’t normal. Definitely something wrong.

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
I don’t know if you have carbs or injection but in either case, do they open all the way with the throttle ?

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
Oh, yeah ! Sorry, we don’t have that here.

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
Sorry, I thought you were asking for help. Apparently not. No further help will be offered from me.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Thanks to the European laws, for beginner riders, the bike is restricted to not more than 33 HP. My understanding is, they usually limit the amount of throttle opening. Easy to remove and have full throttle, and more HP. Others like BMW use smaller intake tubes, with the amount stamped on them. If this is correct, ( I'm really not sure,) then it should not effect fuel consumption as op has. I would have suspected faulty temp sender, ie. running too rich, but plugs would be black as.
Start with a compression test, could be mechanical, check valve gaps etc. A closer too tight, or cracked valve would give horrible fuel figures. Hard to tell when restricted. If CO is correct,?? then get dealer to run full diagnostic. may save a lot of hair pulling finding what's wrong.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi, 25km/l is quite ambitious, that's over 70mpg isn't it? Not saying you can't expect more than you're getting but 18 or 20 (according to online calculators) seems a reasonable target. My first step would be to change the air filter, see if it makes any difference. I'm coming from old tech carb background so can't comment further. Ronski made some good suggestions above.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts