Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HI!
I have a problem with my monster. Yesterday i turn it on and fully opened the cold start lever for 5 - 10 sec then I closed it. The engine was working in idle for 3 - 5 sec and then it turned off. Then i pushed the start button again and the engine or ignition system made the click sound and the EOBD light turned on for 4 or 5 sec and it turnd off again. (the engine never startet again) I tried it several times and it's always the same: I push the start button, it makes the click sound (engine doesnt start) it turns the EOBD light on for 4-5 sec and then EOBD light is off. Thats all. I don't know what wrong. I have been reading through the forum but i have not found this kind of prob! Anyone please help!!!

·
Registered
6,149 Posts
Not sure what the EOBD light is - but i've had a similar problem cause of my immobilizer

wouldn't start, so finally i removed teh key from the ignition for a few seconds, but it back in - started right up

sorry, this forum is very helpful - but sometimes it could take a little while

·
Registered
45,105 Posts
The light means there is a code in your computer to help diagnose the problem. In this case it probably came on as its own self test and your problem is most likely a weak battery. Check your battery connections, then try boosting it from a known good battery. If it now starts charge battery and load test, Then check the charging system.

·
Banned
3,931 Posts
From your description I would be looking at the battery. If you don't have a Battery Tender, you should get one to make sure that your battery is always fully charged.

When I start a fuel injection Ducati, I crank the cold start lever most of the way on until the bike starts, then adjust it so that the bike is idling at about 1500 rpms. On the old carbureted 1997 M900, it wouldn't stay at 1500 rpms, so I set that one to 2000. I don't turn off the fast idle lever until I'm ready to ride the bike away, which is usually between 20 seconds and a minute after starting the bike. I'll then work the throttle to keep it from dying until the bike is warm enough to idle at its normal speed by itself. Of course, I ride it gently until it warms up, which usually takes about a mile or so.

When it's really cold, like yesterday when I was riding in 40 degree weather, I found that I needed a little help at idle, so I set the fast idle to keep the engine at about 1200 rpms for the whole ride.

Anyway, look at your battery first, then once you get it running again, don't fully release the fast idle lever until you're ready to take over with your hand on the throttle.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Guys thanks for the help! The battery was weak just like you said. I charged it and now its running ok. Thanks again

1 - 6 of 6 Posts