Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, my monster will not start after riding 2+ hours in a downpour. After pulling the coils I found significant water buildup in the front. I dried it out and the bike fired but died shortly after. I then checked the rest and removed all moisture. After bike would still not start I removed fuel tank and took fuel from fuel tank and poured directly into cylinders. Bike will fire and run until it obviously runs out of fuel. After reinstalling fuel tank bike would not fire again. Checked all guess next to coolant reservoir and all were good. Battery has been on tender and turns the bike over easily. All lights come on and no check eng light. Removed fuel line from tank but left pump plugged in and was sprayed with fuel when I turned key (rookie mistake). What troubleshooting steps should I take next?

·
Registered
643 Posts
Sidestand switch comes to mind....can't recall if it prevents cranking or ignition...think it's cranking...start with the fuses before things get exotic

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sidestand switch comes to mind....can't recall if it prevents cranking or ignition...think it's cranking...start with the fuses before things get exotic
The side stand switch would prevent cranking but I'll give the old college try. Also going to try flushing fuel and getting new fuel today. Will update forum with results.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Drained tank and added new fuel. Primed several times and turned the bike over for several seconds at a time. Also tried pulling the kickstand up and starting. When I put the kickstand up the kickstand light on the dash went away. Still no fire.

·
Registered
643 Posts
There are 3 relays behind the airbox under the gas tank...one is for cranking another for fuel and another for ignition....try swapping them around....they're all the same...if you no longer hear the fuel pump....or stops cranking....one of the relays has gone bad....if everything works and she starts ... terminals are to blame

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
There are 3 relays behind the airbox under the gas tank...one is for cranking another for fuel and another for ignition....try swapping them around....they're all the same...if you no longer hear the fuel pump....or stops cranking....one of the relays has gone bad....if everything works and she starts ... terminals are to blame
I'll give this a try today and update the forum with the results!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Moved the relays like buhgaboo said and there's no change. Going to check the resistance in the injectors next.

·
Registered
643 Posts
We are approaching the exotics....a video of nothing happening could pay dividends...but first...pull a spark plug....ground it...confirm it's sparking durring cranking

If it sparks...remove the air filter....if there's the slightest improvement...unplug the map sensor underneath the air box...

If you didn't see spark...be sure the wire is reaching the contact at the coil...then make sure the relay is getting signal voltage to energize the coil which trips the relay....

Charge the battery....try everything again

Pushing the start button....opens current to the starter...and then follows to the fuel pump and ignition....she cranks...we move forward...she sparks...forward more...swapping relays rules out fuel pump...that is if you hear it prime...pulling the plug confirms ignition...now we're in the mix...air temp... water temp...map sensor... lambdas....the fuel map should default to starting config cold so I don't suspect air/water or lambdas....un plugging the map sensor has proven successful in cold starts in my experience...problem being bad connection in the clip...but no ignition across 4 plugs in two cylinders has my attention on the ignition relay or the crank position sensor...process of elimination at this point

·
Registered
334 Posts
I would echo @Buhgaboo says. If I found water in the plugs there is a good chance it has fouled the plugs. Also if we were talking a substantial amount of water and you think it got into the engine then an oil change probably is a good idea.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts