Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

Monster 1200s/1200r

11K views 32 replies 14 participants last post by  Matt Dennis 
#1 ·
Hi there first time post and new to Ducati. I've been a long time fan of the Monster and decided it's time to get one.

Previously I was interested in the 1200r but can't seem to find them on Ducati website and based on my research the last model was the 2016 1200r before the new shape/face-lift in 2017. However I've looked online for bikes for sale and there are a couple that are 2017 and 2018 but can't really tell from pictures of its the new design of 2017+ or not and if it has the new features of a quick shifter etc. If it isn't I think I might go with the 1200s and add on the extra bits of the 1200r. There's a used 2016 1200r in red which is available for sale and only two 1200s 2019 in Grey and red. Informed by dealer that the 2020 model only the color black was added nothing else.

Would love to hear your thoughts on the above and help me make a decision.

Thanks
Yousif

#2 ·
Hi there first time post and new to Ducati. I've been a long time fan of the Monster and decided it's time to get one.

Previously I was interested in the 1200r but can't seem to find them on Ducati website and based on my research the last model was the 2016 1200r before the new shape/face-lift in 2017. However I've looked online for bikes for sale and there are a couple that are 2017 and 2018 but can't really tell from pictures of its the new design of 2017+ or not and if it has the new features of a quick shifter etc. If it isn't I think I might go with the 1200s and add on the extra bits of the 1200r. There's a used 2016 1200r in red which is available for sale and only two 1200s 2019 in Grey and red. Informed by dealer that the 2020 model only the color black was added nothing else.

Thanks
Yousif
The ‘17 1200s/1200r has Quick Shift. Ducati quit making the 1200r...2019 was the last year. I have a ‘17 1200s, so I can’t tell you if earlier models have Quick Shift.

#4 ·
The R was made 2016-2019. No quick shifter and it comes with the older generation of electronics (no cornering ABS, etc.) compared to the 2017+ S bikes. The S bikes we re-resigned in 2017, but the R was not. The R is the same 2016-2019.

The 2017+S bikes have really closed the gap the R quite a bit in my opinion and come with a few things that I wish my R did, like a display that you can actually see, slimmer tank, quick shifter and auto blipper, cornering ABS, and IMU based traction control to name a few.

I had a choice when I was looking for my bike and went with the R. No regrets, but it's not a simple choice - the S offer a lot of value for the money compared to the R and I could easily see why someone would choose it over the R.

#6 · (Edited)
While I agree with what @miskoSV wrote, of which the most important is the QuickShifter which can be added in the after-market.
However, the "R" has a different value proposition which more than justifies the price difference. In addition to more horsepower, the added hardware in pricing order really adds up. For $2200 you get Marchesini Forged Wheels ($3000~$4000), an Ohlins Steering Damper ($700), a mini screen ($400), + 58mm Headers ($???), bigger and better tires, better foot-pegs, a metal tail-light bracket, a larger tank (which I prefer) and a slicker paint job except for the new black which is very nice.

Reactions: jairedmond
#7 ·
Hi GTSilver,

I'm in the same position as you. Been riding Speed Triples for over 10 years but a long time fan. Test ridden Gen1 and Gen2 S's, and a '16 and '19 R. After much lusting for a 2019 R, I just pulled the trigger on a '19 S. First, as Misko alluded to, the main reason for me is the cornering ABS. Having had it on my S3 it is a game changer. There are too many instances, especially in SoCal (crap roads, crappier drivers), where it is needed. Second, a friend and former Ducati Sales Manager shared that the reliability of the new S engine is much better than the older desmo twin on the R. Other owners will have more on this but it has something to do with the tolerances when they bumped up the compression and used thinner head gaskets. The Gen2 S's have really closed the performance gap to the R. But DarR's points are valid too. You just have to ask yourself what features are most important to you. Good luck with your purchase.

#8 · (Edited)
BTW, from 2017 onward, the compression ratio of the "R" and the "S" are identical at 13.0:1
Moreover, Both the "R" and the "S" use the same gaskets and pistons.
The additional power of the "R" can attributable wholly or in part to the larger diameter headers.

Text Line Font
Text Font Line
Text Font Drawing Line Technology
Text Diagram Technical drawing Font Line art

Reactions: Danitron
#9 ·
BTW, from 2017 onward, the compression ratio of the "R" and the "S" are identical at 13.0:1
Moreover, Both the "R" and the "S" use the same head gasket 78611001A
The additional power of the "R" can attributable wholly or in part to the larger diameter headers.

View attachment 225048 View attachment 225049 View attachment 225050 View attachment 225051
Not positive, but I think it's not the head gasket that differs between the 'R' & 'S', but the gasket that mounts the cylinder base to the engine case.

That may be where the compression increase comes from.

Thanks

#16 ·
Out of curiosity, what is the difference mechanically between a 2015 S and R.
I have a S with the full Termi system. You can see the header pipe are larger diameter then the Standard S header pipes. I also have the up map. Would this upgrade put the engine performance on par with the R?

#17 · (Edited)
Out of curiosity, what is the difference mechanically between a 2015 S and R.
I have a S with the full Termi system. You can see the header pipe are larger diameter then the Standard S header pipes. I also have the up map. Would this upgrade put the engine performance on par with the R?
Versus the (2014-16) "1200 S"

The (2016-19) "1200 R" has:
Larger 56mm elliptical throttle bodies vs round 53mm on the "S"
Lighter piston assembly (12221952A)
Different lower cylinder gasket (78610942A)
Compression ratio of 13.0:1, up from 12.5:1
Larger 58mm headers

In terms of performance, your bike may come close to matching the power of a stock 1200R.
Unless you put it on the dyno, there's no way to tell for sure if the Termi exhaust will compensate for the other stock mechanical differences. In fact, it may be impossible to tell since there has never been any independent dyno figures published to date for a stock M1200R.

Stock vs Stock, the HP figures claimed by Ducati (at the time) were:
145 HP for the 2014-16 "1200S"
160 HP for the 2016-19 "1200R"
These results taken at the crankshaft (not at a rear wheel) and have since been revised downwards to comply with EU homologation.

However and notwithstanding the above BS numbers, the real-world figures for the stock bikes measured on a Dyno at the rear wheel by moto-journalists, were:
Stock 2016 1200S: 130.9 HP
Stock 2016~19 1200R: Unknown HP

Put your bike on a Dyno as we could use more charts here:

#25 ·

Thanks
Yousif
I would go for the R, some dealers have demos and ridding them now since last model was a 2017. Bigger throttle bodies and exhaust manifold exit gave the R more power than S. So even replacing some carbon bits etc on an S won't be = to an R. The Tricolore limited edition also has the same R spec so if you find one go for it. Peace

#29 ·

Thanks
Yousif
My take would be to buy the R, or the Tricolore Anniversary edition. They’re rare yes, but you’ll get close to all your money back in the long run. if you’re commuting then get the base 1200 it’s a great bike 4 the price. The R’s were made 2016-2019 incl. the Tricolore was launched in 2018 as the 25th anniversary Monster (started in 1993) and was a 2019 model; 500 were made wold wide, the Rs were actually produced about the same/ year and even less some years. Very likely a Demo can be found or some floor model somewhere... just look at the price now for a 2008 S4RS ‘996 testastretta Tricolore. It’s not to invest or make a return but to have a bike that’s greater heritage.

mind you any bike is better than not having a bike so go with your heart and you’ll be happier in the long run. Peace

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.