Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
61 - 76 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
I know my 1200 isn’t an R model but did about 7000km or just over 4000 miles on the Rosso 3s,
Installed S22 battlax at the end of this past season so don’t know how to compare them yet only did 500-700km with them but they felt superbly planted in really sporty riding even more so then the Rossos

·
Registered
754 Posts
I know my 1200 isn’t an R model but did about 7000km or just over 4000 miles on the Rosso 3s,
Installed S22 battlax at the end of this past season so don’t know how to compare them yet only did 500-700km with them but they felt superbly planted in really sporty riding even more so then the Rossos
I don't doubt your conclusion but you're comparing a new tire to an old one.
Even a cheap new tire will ride better than a premium tire that's worn-down.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I don't doubt your conclusion but you're comparing a new tire to an old one.
Even a cheap new tire will ride better than a premium tire that's worn-down.
I have gone threw 2 rosso 3s on my rear both times there were new lol, I’m comparing to how it handled compared to the new rossos

·
Registered
754 Posts
I have gone threw 2 rosso 3s on my rear both times there were new lol, I’m comparing to how it handled compared to the new rossos
You have a better memory than me. I can't remember what I had for breakfast.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I have been running a set of the Angel GT 2's for the past 3,000 miles and while they are pretty good for my style of riding, the main complaint I have with them is the amount of grabbing the front end does when it hits cracks. The lines down the center (which were added on the gen 2 model) like to grab freeway lines quite badly, to the point that I brought the bike back to the shop immediately after picking it up. The amount it does this has lessened with age, but when I ride my wifes Streetfighter, and then my monster, I can really feel a difference. Not very confidence inspriring so they will be replaced with something else once they are worn out.

·
Registered
541 Posts
I'm on my second front GT2 with no such issues. I don't ride much freeway and what I do is probably not all that groovy.
Although I haven't had an issue so didn't pay much attention to how groovy it is. On the mountain twisties it is a great dance partner. Monster 1200.

I have no idea how to explain that difference. :unsure:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Just my opinion. But your bike is a performance bike. Go with a tire that will stick when you need it to. Unfortunately stickiness comes with a price, low mileage.

·
Registered
754 Posts
Just my opinion. But your bike is a performance bike. Go with a tire that will stick when you need it to. Unfortunately stickiness comes with a price, low mileage.
It's not just the rubber compound that contribute to lower mileage.
It's the amount of rubber!
The closer you get to a track tire, the less rubber it has to reduce rotational mass and unsprung weight.

·
Registered
754 Posts
I have been running a set of the Angel GT 2's for the past 3,000 miles and while they are pretty good for my style of riding, the main complaint I have with them is the amount of grabbing the front end does when it hits cracks. The lines down the center (which were added on the gen 2 model) like to grab freeway lines quite badly, to the point that I brought the bike back to the shop immediately after picking it up. The amount it does this has lessened with age, but when I ride my wifes Streetfighter, and then my monster, I can really feel a difference. Not very confidence inspriring so they will be replaced with something else once they are worn out.
I'm glad you brought that up as I was very concerned about those groves.
I chose the GT's for my Multistrada and opposed to the GT-2's for exactly that reason.
Notwithstanding, in hindsight, I should have mounted Rosso III's in lieu of as their profile is rounder.

·
Registered
541 Posts
It's not just the rubber compound that contribute to lower mileage.
It's the amount of rubber!
The closer you get to a track tire, the less rubber it has to reduce rotational mass and unsprung weight.
Most of us want our tires to last more than one race though. :)

·
Registered
79 Posts
Not sure if you interested as I have a 1200s.
I have been running Michelin Power 5. 200/55/17 on the rear. Great tyre all round. Wet roads are no problem.
Excellent grip in the dry and fast to transition from side to side in the twisties.
I have 6500km on them. About 500 to 1000km left before I replace the rear tyre.

Front tyre has hardly worn. Looks like I cod go through 3 rear tyres to 1 front tyre. Maybe I need to start braking later and harder.

Going to try Power GP next.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi all, 1200R owner here. I am sorry to jump in on this post but I want to replace the tyres on my bike and I'm looking for feedback. I read this guide which recommends the S22 for the 1200R. I've not run Bridgestones on the bike before but have them on my cars. Anyone got any feebdack on them or would you stick to the Pirelli?

·
Registered
79 Posts
Hi all, 1200R owner here. I am sorry to jump in on this post but I want to replace the tyres on my bike and I'm looking for feedback. I read this guide which recommends the S22 for the 1200R. I've not run Bridgestones on the bike before but have them on my cars. Anyone got any feebdack on them or would you stick to the Pirelli?
There isn't a bad hypersport tyre on the market. Just different. I havent ran S22's, so can't comment on what they feel like. I have had Pirelli Rosso's, and they hold the road as good as any other hypersport tyre. But I didn't like the way they felt.
If you are happy with Pirelli, stick with them.
Check out this scrub in test of all the leading hyper tyres.

·
Registered
754 Posts
It's the category that's important not the brand. Pick any brand flavor you want among the top five manufacturers.
Categories include:
Sport Touring: All weather mileage
Sport: All weather but grippier with more lean angle
Hyper-Sport: Aggressive sport for Road 80% / Track 20%
DOT Racetrack: Road 20% / Track 80%
For example:
Screenshot from 2021-05-19 09:31:58.png

Reactions: Monster4Lee
61 - 76 of 76 Posts