Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

41 - 60 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
682 Posts
@696DCRider
I echo what @sushifly wrote.
The SC lasted much longer on my Panigale than those on the 1200R.
Couple of reasons for that:
1) The Monster has more torque....lots more.
2) I ride the Panigale completely differently from the Monster. On the Panigale, I seek to be as smooth as possible especially when exiting a curve. On the Monster, I'm constantly on and off the throttle mostly in a straight line. That torque is addictive but the fix comes at the price of tire wear.

·
Registered
7 Posts
17 R- I got 2700 out of the rear and it had cords showing. No track days so the sidewalls were still like new. I was hoping it would make so I could use all the tire but no deal. 4200 miles on the bike now and the front is about done. Lots of riding in the next week with bike week here. I should make until next week I hope. Dealer has 3 in stock and they get 210 for a front installed which is dawn good. Rear was like 320 installed.

·
Registered
312 Posts
17 R- I got 2700 out of the rear and it had cords showing. No track days so the sidewalls were still like new. I was hoping it would make so I could use all the tire but no deal. 4200 miles on the bike now and the front is about done. Lots of riding in the next week with bike week here. I should make until next week I hope. Dealer has 3 in stock and they get 210 for a front installed which is dawn good. Rear was like 320 installed.

Lots of moneys on tires . I wanna spend that on other stuff lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
58 Posts
2016 Monster 1200R w/~3500 miles on the original tires.

Front tire is down to ~2mm, rear has lots of meat to go. This seems counter intuitive. On my Harleys, the rear always goes waaay before the front.

I check my air pressure religiously (FT: 33PSI RR: 35PSI), ride solo, and only do spirited street riding (no track, wheelies, burn outs, etc.).

Why did my front wear quicker than my rear?

I'm about to put on a set of Rosso III's, unless someone can talk me out of it.

Thanks

·
Registered
16 Posts
I recently changed to the Angel GT's, love them and how they feel on turns. Currently have 1k miles on them, don't see them lasting much past 5k tho. Anyone who is getting close to 9-10k out of these on this bike must not know where the throttle is. I weigh 165 btw so it's def not my weight wearing them down, just sayin..

·
Registered
682 Posts
Is it just me or are you finding that Pirelli inventories are low to unavailable?
Couldn't find a Rosso Corsa 2 for the Panigale in my size and scooped-up the last SC from the distributor.
Glad I picked-up a Rosso 3 front last month to match the rear on the Monster or I probably would be out of luck at this time of the year.

·
Registered
682 Posts
2016 Monster 1200R w/~3500 miles on the original tires.

Front tire is down to ~2mm, rear has lots of meat to go. This seems counter intuitive. On my Harleys, the rear always goes waaay before the front.

I check my air pressure religiously (FT: 33PSI RR: 35PSI), ride solo, and only do spirited street riding (no track, wheelies, burn outs, etc.).

Why did my front wear quicker than my rear?

I'm about to put on a set of Rosso III's, unless someone can talk me out of it.

Thanks
When riding solo with OEM SC, Ducati recommends 33psi front and 30 psi rear. (Owner's manual page 255). Not sure if that could account for the inconsistency but it is what it is.

·
Registered
5 Posts
About 3200 km, still on the original Supercorsa SP's. Spirited street riding only. For me it seems that the front wears quicker than the rear. I measured the remaining thread relative to the indicators.

On the front I have 1 mm left on the sides and about 1,5-2 mm in the middle.
On the rear 2-2,5 mm on the sides and 2,5-3 mm in the middle.

I'm going to schedule to do an oil service in a month so I'll probably have done around 4000 km by then. I think I should also schedule a tire change (at least the front) but I'm not sure, any ideas? It's the first time I've measured it so I'm not sure how long they will last because I don't know how much thread depth I started out with.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Got north of 7,000 miles on a front Pirelli Angel GT. Now on a GT2.
About 5,000 on the rear Angel GT, and holding up surprisingly well.

2014 base model Monster 1200. No track days, no stupid ****. But I don't ride slow either.
Mostly back roads in the mountains.
The bike handles quite nicely with them, imho. Especially with the new front.
When the rear goes I will get a GT2 for it. Happy with them for road duty.
A little amazed with the mileage, I have done the 2,000 miles and cords are showing thing before on other bikes, with other tires. Including Pirelli.

·
Registered
682 Posts
@Monster4Lee
Glad to read. I'm soon about to replace those silly Pirelli Scorpion Trail tires on my Multistrada Pikes Peak.
Why has Ducati chose those tires for the PP is beyond me. I'm already at the tire's edge and I don't lean it that much.
Looking at Pirelli Angel GT2 as a replacement. Apparently the lean angle on those is good enough for the track.
For the Monster, The rear Rosso 3 is showing it's age. I'd consider RC2's but my front Rosso 3 is relatively brand new.
I don't feel comfortable mixing models therefore will probably stick with another Rosso 3 for the rear.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Apparently the lean angle on those is good enough for the track.
Depends on you I guess. Mine have pretty good chicken strips, they work great at my medium fast, try not to get a ticket speeds, I think I would be fine using them on the track. But I have no illusion of being Casey Stoner, and am not pushing the bike hard. I am not going to the track, but have in the past. So as usual, YMMV. :angel

·
Registered
682 Posts
I'm a track novice having been there a few times plus a weekend course. I have no illusions or delusions about my skill sets either.
My point was that the Multi can lean more that the Scorpion Trails can handle. I'm at the edge on the OEM Scorpions while I still have about another CM of chicken strips left on my Monster with Rosso 3's which I lean far more than the Multi.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Well just completing 3500 miles with the Bridgestone T30 Evo front and back and not inspired by them nothing special in the grip, the mileage or the ride :(

I did not like the Rosso Corsa originally fitted (too vague and imprecise) and (unless i read a convincing tyre [tire] test in the next month) I will be going back to Metzler Roadtec 01 for the enjoyment of corners :)

·
Registered
682 Posts
@350LCjohnny
The Rosso Corsa is a Road and Track tire. Not particularly good in the cold or rain but really good for what it's designed for.
The Metzler Roadtec 01 is a sport touring tire. Quite a good one actually but its Apples and Oranges.
@Monster4Lee
BTW, just purchased a set of Angel GT for the Multi to replace the OEM Scorpions.
Monster is still on Rosso 3's. Happy with them so far. Not as sticky as the OEM SC but they warm up a lot faster which is important for me.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Hi @DarR I do understand the difference in purpose of the tyres in question

But I am trying to address a different problem - that is how pleasant are they to ride on the road ?

Yes the Rosso Corsa should have more grip when hot and bothered - but i found them a bit wooden and vague which did not inspire me to ride hard and get them hot and bothered.

Whilst the roadtecs rolled sweetly into corners and encouraged me to pour on more power and smile dry or wet, hot or cold.

Having started riding on Dunlop K70s with 9 bhp I think that any modern tyre probably out performs me :)

I do know that i don't particularly enjoy trackdays - i prefer to learn new roads in changing traffic and weather whilst enjoying the feel and view of the scenery

So the enjoyment of the ride is much more important to me than the maximum theoretical lean angle.

·
Registered
682 Posts
@350LCjohnny
I totally get what you wrote. Unless you track the Monster, the RC's are not good street tires.
Personally, I also look for a tire that warms up fast for the street. The RC's ain't it.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Hi @DarR
I do know that i don't particularly enjoy trackdays - i prefer to learn new roads in changing traffic and weather whilst enjoying the feel and view of the scenery

So the enjoyment of the ride is much more important to me than the maximum theoretical lean angle.
Me too. I ride for fun. Sometimes for transportation, but usually just for fun. Fun is the point, imho. :grin

I am into the wear bars on the rear Angel GT by maybe 200 - 300 miles.
Plan to replace it in another 200 - 300 miles. Keeping a close eye on it. Will post up tire mileage later.
When I replace it. :angel

41 - 60 of 61 Posts